Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If I was at the top of the list, I'd want there to be 0 U availability right up until takeoff, with the F cabin wide open. No P either, just to be safe. That more or less guarantees me an upgrade even with a cheap fare. But then, I'm a selfish ........
No, really???? I never got that from any of your posts...... On my SEA-LAX flight yesterday 9 of 16 seats were spoken for before OLCI commenced, 1P and 6F for sale, 5 upgrades at T-2. Looks like they sold 2 before complimentary upgrades were processed. In your reference to a wide open cabin, I anticipate you are talking about Airbii flights. I don't see a lot of wide open F cabins on the Boeing flights at OLCI. That will eventually iron itself out when the 8F cabins are reconfigured.

James
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No, really???? I never got that from any of your posts...... On my SEA-LAX flight yesterday 9 of 16 seats were spoken for before OLCI commenced, 1P and 6F for sale, 5 upgrades at T-2. Looks like they sold 2 before complimentary upgrades were processed. In your reference to a wide open cabin, I anticipate you are talking about Airbii flights. I don't see a lot of wide open F cabins on the Boeing flights at OLCI. That will eventually iron itself out when the 8F cabins are reconfigured.

James
My only point here is that, strategically, U availability favors gold over 75k. Just like TOD upgrades favor non-elites and low-level elites over high-level elites.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
I have a flight in less than 36 hours in an F16 cabin. F10 available. U is 0.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Exactly. It's one thing when it's an 8 seat A319/A320/A321 aircraft given AS' IT hiccups when halving an F cabin's inventory, but it's a whole different story when it's systemic across the 737 fleet as well.

RM as a whole seems to be screwed up, and whether that's by design or not is the real question on this whole topic. Surely they're aware of the magnitude of this problem and I'm very curious as to what resolution lies in wait, or what bigger changes this forebodes.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Exactly. It's one thing when it's an 8 seat A319/A320/A321 aircraft given AS' IT hiccups when halving an F cabin's inventory, but it's a whole different story when it's systemic across the 737 fleet as well.
Maybe swapping in Airbus for Boeing, or the possibility of that? Perhaps RM is closing it down until the cross fleeting is figured out or the cabins are reconfigured? As much as it bugs me, it's easier to release seats later than involuntarily downgrade people.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Maybe swapping in Airbus for Boeing, or the possibility of that? Perhaps RM is closing it down until the cross fleeting is figured out or the cabins are reconfigured? As much as it bugs me, it's easier to release seats later than involuntarily downgrade people.
They also removed U availability from regional jet routes, which aren’t being impacted by reconfiguration.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Have been monitoring a Hawaii flight for July and low and behold it showed U availability today. Snagged it right away.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1

They also removed U availability from regional jet routes, which aren’t being impacted by reconfiguration.
Correct. I have an ERJ flight at 7 am on 1/1. You'd think this would be a slam dunk for an upgrade, but nope. No U space open.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1

AS has E175 on hub to hub routes (SFO-SEA) and mainline SEA-RDM. The difference between a regional route and a mainline route isn't set in stone.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
And now less than 24 hours out, its F8 available, U is 1. (I'd suspect 2 Us occurred during the night.)
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I think it's a combination of
1) Maximizing revenue by selling the seats as long as possible
2) Minimizing the impact of equipment/configuration swaps
3) Minimizing the list jumping and out of order processing that has been going on for years

At this point, I'm pretty convinced that no one at AS truly understands how the process works/doesn't work from end to end -- nor do the various VPs or Officers care about fixing it, since they see it as a giveaway/cost center rather than a critical loyalty perk.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AS
Totally agree with above.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
As 75k, don't you usually get upgraded anyway? I've never been 75k (but I have a tentative plan for next year) but people talk about something like 19/20 upgrades (can't remember what thread I read that in -- possibly this one)

As 75k you should be happy that U isn't available... you won't have MVPG's using their GGUs to take an F seat that would otherwise end up going to you
If upgrade processing was more consistent, I would agree with you. As it stands, I can be first on the upgrade list and still not get the upgrade thanks to the flaws in the process (especially the lag between U inventory opening at T-2 hours and upgrades actually clearing). I don't think most of us have the time to counter all the opportunities for lower-tier elites to game the system, let alone the scattered reports of paid upgrades being offered before elite upgrades can clear.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
And now less than 24 hours out, its F8 available, U is 1. (I'd suspect 2 Us occurred during the night.)
How are you seeing bucket sizes of eight or ten? On expert flyer, Alaska seems to max out at seven.

Is there a better source of Alaska fare bucket availability - maybe KVS?

Thanks!

Last edited by Manoa Chris; Nov 3, 2018 at 2:34 pm Reason: Grammar!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
If upgrade processing was more consistent, I would agree with you. As it stands, I can be first on the upgrade list and still not get the upgrade thanks to the flaws in the process (especially the lag between U inventory opening at T-2 hours and upgrades actually clearing). I don't think most of us have the time to counter all the opportunities for lower-tier elites to game the system, let alone the scattered reports of paid upgrades being offered before elite upgrades can clear.
I see it quite often. I was traveling PSP-SFO last week and the pax next to me at the Ticket Counter inquired about a paid upgrade (this was at T-1hr45min) and was offered the $29 UG. He took it, and while I was already in F (P fare), I fired up the app out of curiosity. Sure enough, 3 seats open, he took 1, 2 others were upgraded at the gate, and 1 was left on the list, Premium Class was full.

The gaming and selling are real, there's no doubt about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.