Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Many airlines are evolving to the mindset that getting some $ for every F seat is better than giving it away for free as a "thanks for flying with us" gift to elites.
But GGUs or immediate upgrades for elites can't be used on the lowest fares... so they aren't "giving it away for free", there's incremental revenue involved. Right now what happens is there's no U on a ton of AS routes (ones with a boatload of unsold F seats) until T-2 hours. Why on earth would I buy anything other than the cheapest possible fare and play upgrade lotto in this scenario, since there's no way to give incremental revenue to guarantee F beyond buying a P fare (and you can't even do THAT after buying a coach fare without paying $125)?

Is telling your elites to go pound sand about their upgrade instruments (that again, can't be used on Saver or cheapest Main Cabin fares) expiring useless really a good path to incremental revenue? I don't think DL, UA or AA do that.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Many airlines are evolving to the mindset that getting some $ for every F seat is better than giving it away for free as a "thanks for flying with us" gift to elites. You may see them "adjust" their policy about not selling discounted upgrades prior to clearing the upgrade list. That could be a good target of incremental revenue, in line with the upsells out of basic economy approach.
First off if you are upgrading , it cost money to upgrade to U space. Second off the only reason I have a GGU in the first place is I spent a bunch of money with AS already. I am just an MVPG and I probably got an upgrade about 30% of the time at most, almost none of which were no cost upgrades at the upgrade window. AS is making money off all those F seats one way or the other, its just the way they are doing it now is alienating all of their elites.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
First off if you are upgrading , it cost money to upgrade to U space. Second off the only reason I have a GGU in the first place is I spent a bunch of money with AS already. I am just an MVPG and I probably got an upgrade about 30% of the time at most, almost none of which were no cost upgrades at the upgrade window. AS is making money off all those F seats one way or the other, its just the way they are doing it now is alienating all of their elites.
I totally agree. Obviously, change is the only constant in this industry. But how a carrier communicates and manages change is important.

This reminds me of Delta's devaluation of miles, done with the cynical veneer of adding lower priced awards while making the cost of pretty much anything much higher than before. Maybe that worked with most elites, but it soured me on the airline and I moved my business elsewhere. The games with U availability and transcon upgrades are making me contemplate the same thing with Alaska -- a transparent downgrade would be easier to digest than this charade.
jjmadison and DrAlex like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
- a transparent downgrade would be easier to digest than this charade.
Completely agree. The games get old, and unannounced changes catch everyone off guard. The games Delta played with RUC/GUC and expertflyer were one of the main reasons I moved my business over to Alaska. Now I feel as if Alaska is playing games with their upgrade instruments.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I sent a text to AS asking them if I could trade in my GGU's for something else, since they are now practically worthless given the elimination of U inventory.

They haven't responded.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am thinking a clearer buy-up process is coming soon and would kick in a couple days before the elite upgrade windows start. You can use your GGU then, and buy-up to make it usable. They want to hold U back until they get into the window and then dribble it out. United started this game a long time ago. The concept of getting a confirmed upgrade at booking pretty much disappeared. Non-elites were offered buy-ups in the app while elites weren't even given an offer but would never clear. Still works like that in most cases.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
I am thinking a clearer buy-up process is coming soon and would kick in a couple days before the elite upgrade windows start. You can use your GGU then, and buy-up to make it usable. They want to hold U back until they get into the window and then dribble it out. United started this game a long time ago. The concept of getting a confirmed upgrade at booking pretty much disappeared. Non-elites were offered buy-ups in the app while elites weren't even given an offer but would never clear. Still works like that in most cases.
Comically awful. Vaguely recall that when this practice began over at UA under their much loathed former CEO, Jeff Smisek, it was derisively referred to "TOD" (tens of dollars) upgrades. Now, I believe it's the industry standard. I'm certain about that over at AA (though they don't try to sell incrementally more expensive "upgradeable" fares), less so as to DL or current UA practice.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Not trying to give AS ideas, but the optimal way to do it is to auction them off. Entirely possible to set up in the online access channels. One overseas airline has already started doing this. I would suggest giving elites a certain $ credit towards their bid varying depending on status.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Not trying to give AS ideas, but the optimal way to do it is to auction them off. Entirely possible to set up in the online access channels. One overseas airline has already started doing this. I would suggest giving elites a certain $ credit towards their bid varying depending on status.
I don't think that is going to "fly!" Fiji Airways sent me out an invitation to bid on a J seat. I was flying SYD-NAN-LAX return. You have to bid on each leg separately. The suggested upgrade bid for 1 segment NAN-LAX was more than I paid for the entire return itinerary.

I don't think auctioning them off is at all optimal or efficient especially if you have connections.

James
jjmadison likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I'm not even sure it's revenue positive. Don't forget that the bottom 3 buckets cannot be upgraded with GGU. So in many cases, I'm buying up to be able to use the GGU. If there's no U, I buy the cheapest, which is often less cash in the AS coffers.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I sent a text to AS asking them if I could trade in my GGU's for something else, since they are now practically worthless given the elimination of U inventory.

They haven't responded.
I like that idea. Let us trade unexpired GGUs for miles.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Oct 28, 2018 at 7:14 am Reason: removed comments that I didn't explain well
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Meanwhile on my flight in the morning...There was 5 U space open at checkin. No upgrades processing, so I checked in and processed it that way. There is still a wait list to be upgraded and 3 U space still available. Man is this whole system jacked up.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by rune87
Meanwhile on my flight in the morning...There was 5 U space open at checkin. No upgrades processing, so I checked in and processed it that way. There is still a wait list to be upgraded and 3 U space still available. Man is this whole system jacked up.
It sure is. Traveling with a friend yesterday (separate PNR) and at check-in (right after t-2 mark) 4 U pop as available, he's offered the paid upgrade, takes it, and I re-checked in and scored the 3rd U seat. Ridiculous.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:05 pm

I think I mentioned this on the declared upgrades thread but we had 8 F seats clear at T-10 hrs (however was F3 the day before so no U). Yet the same flight (DAL-SEA) the next week I just cleared at T-119 hrs so that still is happening, rarely.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mczlaw
I'm certain about that over at AA (though they don't try to sell incrementally more expensive "upgradeable" fares), less so as to DL or current UA practice.
Actually, AA's policy is still NOT to sell TOD upgrades unless all passengers on the complimentary/mileage/SWU upgrade lists will clear... and there's much more integrity in AA's upgrade list IT than AS's upgrade processor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.