Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Too bad Missydarling doesn't come out of retirement to shed some light on the subject.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Too bad Missydarling doesn't come out of retirement to shed some light on the subject.
She responded to a different post yesterday, so she's not entirely retired. Just maybe doesn't want to/can't/doesn't have info to comment on this subject.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Angry

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
The only person doing something wrong is AS. There are some routes like FLL and EWR that have always been difficult to get an upgrade. Lately however Alaska has wiped out U space almost everywhere except some west coast routes and very short routes (SEA-PDX). I don;t think anyone understands what is going on or why.
My birthday is weekend of Dec 7-9. Literally spent 2 hours last night looking for anywhere AS flies out of SEA for that date and couldn't find a single U fare where I could use any of my GGU certs. It's a joke. Nowhere in Bay Area, So Cal, Phx, LAS, or anywhere on East coast. Nothing in Mexico either. What is the point of having them if you can't actually use them?
jjmadison likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Bret Vreeland
My birthday is weekend of Dec 7-9. Literally spent 2 hours last night looking for anywhere AS flies out of SEA for that date and couldn't find a single U fare where I could use any of my GGU certs. It's a joke. Nowhere in Bay Area, So Cal, Phx, LAS, or anywhere on East coast. Nothing in Mexico either. What is the point of having them if you can't actually use them?
I spent a similar amount of time trying to use up my last 2 GGUs that expire 12/31/18. It's sad to note that I finally used them on a PDX-SEA flight I had already booked for December. I couldn't even use them on SEA-RNO in January much less any longer flights we're contemplating in the new year.

My husband still has some left that expire this year. If we find no use for them I'll post them on Coupon Connection before they die.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I spent a similar amount of time trying to use up my last 2 GGUs that expire 12/31/18. It's sad to note that I finally used them on a PDX-SEA flight I had already booked for December. I couldn't even use them on SEA-RNO in January much less any longer flights we're contemplating in the new year.

My husband still has some left that expire this year. If we find no use for them I'll post them on Coupon Connection before they die.
Maybe see if AS will extend the deadline since you've had trouble using them?
DrAlex and Bret Vreeland like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Maybe see if AS will extend the deadline since you've had trouble using them?
I hadn't thought about that. Might be worth a try if we can't use them by December.

We should both renew as MVPGs by then if all goes as planned --- meaning that we'll have 8 more GGUs to deal with but at least another year to figure them out.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Maybe I am just lucky but I am always able to use mine and I even beg for more in the giveaway thread at the end of every year. I had 8 this year and used them all. Plus, I just booked another set of flights for Mr. Fink and I that had U in both directions and I only had 2 GGU’s left so I had to book M fares on the return to get the instant upgrade. I should have come on here asking if anyone had two to spare, lol.

And these are popular routes - HNL every second month (I have a business there), IAD, etc. and usually with fixed-ish dates. Since I have to connect no matter where I go but I am flexible with the connection city I just look for U space out of any reasonable connection city (SEA, PDX, SJC etc). Maybe that makes a difference?

I have one more flight to book this year and no GGU’s so will have to wait until I get my next batch.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Finkface
Maybe I am just lucky but I am always able to use mine and I even beg for more in the giveaway thread at the end of every year. I had 8 this year and used them all. Plus, I just booked another set of flights for Mr. Fink and I that had U in both directions and I only had 2 GGU’s left so I had to book M fares on the return to get the instant upgrade. I should have come on here asking if anyone had two to spare, lol.

And these are popular routes - HNL every second month (I have a business there), IAD, etc. and usually with fixed-ish dates. Since I have to connect no matter where I go but I am flexible with the connection city I just look for U space out of any reasonable connection city (SEA, PDX, SJC etc). Maybe that makes a difference?

I have one more flight to book this year and no GGU’s so will have to wait until I get my next batch.
Like you had had no particular problem using my GGU's earlier this year, however going forward there seem to be pretty much no U available. I have seen a a bit of a trend of no U space when I book, then when i check 30-60 days out some has opened.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Westcoaster

Actually, the PDX-SEA 737 flights are actually not a bad way to use your GGUs since I'm finding them to be some of the toughest upgrades in the system...yesterday I was #42 on the upgrade list for SEA-PDX and the 75K passenger that boarded ahead of me didn't get the upgrade either. If you can't use them on longer flights, PDX-SEA is the way to go since you'll have a tough time getting upgraded otherwise.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Actually, the PDX-SEA 737 flights are actually not a bad way to use your GGUs since I'm finding them to be some of the toughest upgrades in the system...yesterday I was #42 on the upgrade list for SEA-PDX and the 75K passenger that boarded ahead of me didn't get the upgrade either. If you can't use them on longer flights, PDX-SEA is the way to go since you'll have a tough time getting upgraded otherwise.
No thanks, An upgrade on a 45 min flight where I get one drink and a bag of potato chips I have to eat as fast as I can? If that is all a GGU is going to be good for then I need to start looking at some inexpensive DL F fares.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I just booked a trip to KOA, 2nd week of December. SJC outbound, SAN inbound and then SAN-SEA-YLW on a companion certificate. I used 4 GGUs for the Hawaii segments and confirmed in F, seats selected. Happy to pay $99.00 for SJC-KOA-SAN-SEA-YLW. Over a $500 savings and in F too. Between us, we had 26 GGUs this year. Down to 2. I set up an EF alert for SAN-SEA and will use the last two GGUs on that flight if U opens before T-5 days. If not, and the K class doesn't get a complimentary upgrade I am perfectly fine with our Row 6 seats for a short flight.

I would agree that U availability is much tighter as of late but not nonexistent.

James
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:11 am

I believe it's very clear from all of the above folks that we are all victims of a bait and switch marketing scam. Frankly, I'm pissed that I've amassed so many points and vouchers over the years that are now worthless but the airline continues to pretend that they are selling something of value.

And to the above poster who claims they've been able to upgrade across country flying into IAD, did they open up a new route just for you?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dholt
I believe it's very clear from all of the above folks that we are all victims of a bait and switch marketing scam. Frankly, I'm pissed that I've amassed so many points and vouchers over the years that are now worthless but the airline continues to pretend that they are selling something of value.

And to the above poster who claims they've been able to upgrade across country flying into IAD, did they open up a new route just for you?
Are you talking about me? You are not aware that AS flies into IAD? If you want proof that I was able to upgrade with a GGU:
Attached Images  
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:07 am

I had no idea that they were flying out is IAD, still no U class from East to West. None, zero, zip, nada even with fist being empty.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Many airlines are evolving to the mindset that getting some $ for every F seat is better than giving it away for free as a "thanks for flying with us" gift to elites. You may see them "adjust" their policy about not selling discounted upgrades prior to clearing the upgrade list. That could be a good target of incremental revenue, in line with the upsells out of basic economy approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.