Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Doesn't help those suffering poor U availability out of Seattle, but interesting data point on my RDU-SFO commute. Next week the flight switches to 737s for the rest of the year. I nearly fell out of my chair -- a T-120 upgrade cleared.

So maybe the theories about Alaska's upgrade processing being especially broken on smaller cabin Airbii have some merit.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:32 pm

Just spoke with a boise rep about a January bos-pdx midweek flight with 1st and PE completely wide open but no U space has been opened up yet. She said its the #1 complaint they have heard about since September
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by radtechtraveler
Just spoke with a boise rep about a January bos-pdx midweek flight with 1st and PE completely wide open but no U space has been opened up yet. She said its the #1 complaint they have heard about since September
She's going to hear some more for me today. TH managed to find a seat in June from BWI. She's a unicorn chaser for sure.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I just booked a trip to KOA, 2nd week of December. SJC outbound, SAN inbound and then SAN-SEA-YLW on a companion certificate. I used 4 GGUs for the Hawaii segments and confirmed in F, seats selected. Happy to pay $99.00 for SJC-KOA-SAN-SEA-YLW. Over a $500 savings and in F too. Between us, we had 26 GGUs this year. Down to 2. I set up an EF alert for SAN-SEA and will use the last two GGUs on that flight if U opens before T-5 days. If not, and the K class doesn't get a complimentary upgrade I am perfectly fine with our Row 6 seats for a short flight.

I would agree that U availability is much tighter as of late but not nonexistent.

James
How are you finding these? Everything I look for says there is no U space available. I only managed to use 2 because we are flying a red-eye from Seattle to Orlando.

Are you booking your tickets with the GGU price, and then just checking until a space opens up, and then you use your GGU? Or, when you see some available, do you call Alaska to upgrade your ticket class so you can use your GGU?

Also, how the heck are people getting so many GGU?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lindsiria0
How are you finding these? Everything I look for says there is no U space available. I only managed to use 2 because we are flying a red-eye from Seattle to Orlando.

Are you booking your tickets with the GGU price, and then just checking until a space opens up, and then you use your GGU? Or, when you see some available, do you call Alaska to upgrade your ticket class so you can use your GGU?

I never purchase an eligible fare unless I can apply a GGU for an immediate upgrade. Only once did I purchase and the availability disappeared before I was able to apply the GGU. Another opened the next day and I caught it before EF did.

My Partner and I are both 75K. We each got 4 at MVPG and somehow each got 8 more at MVPG75K. That gave us 24. I applied two to a PDX-SEA-MSY itinerary and the PDX-SEA was downgraded to a Q400 from a E175. AS replaced the two GGUs. We flew SEA-MSY in F as well. We had 26 in total. Only 2 left.

We are flexible so I search and see if I like what I find.

James
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Lindsiria0
My Partner and I are both 75K. We each got 4 at MVPG and somehow each got 8 more at MVPG75K. That gave us 24.
This happened to a lot of people (but not to all), so there are a glut of GGUs out there to burn and now it is getting to the end of the year. Fortunately I had no problem finding enough U space to start burning these in September but not on the flights I really wanted to use them. I have two left and have my alerts set so hope to be able to use them. At United it got so bad a lot of people could not use their upgrades all year, while $99 upgrades were sold left and right.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I never purchase an eligible fare unless I can apply a GGU for an immediate upgrade.
Same here. I'm spending less money now as a result of low U availability. Might as well buy the cheapest fare if the upgrade won't confirm.
lalala, BOB W and jjmadison like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by channa
Same here. I'm spending less money now as a result of low U availability. Might as well buy the cheapest fare if the upgrade won't confirm.
Or buy the F seat on another airline with a more reasonable fare. When AS is several hundred $ more for P/F and there's no GGU space, the other airline gets my money and AS gets $0.
SF1K, Buster, channa and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by channa
Of course right after I said this, I bought up on speculation that U would open. But it was only $3 more than lowest fare.
Idaho Territory likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never purchase an eligible fare unless I can apply a GGU for an immediate upgrade. Only once did I purchase and the availability disappeared before I was able to apply the GGU. Another opened the next day and I caught it before EF did.

My Partner and I are both 75K. We each got 4 at MVPG and somehow each got 8 more at MVPG75K. That gave us 24. I applied two to a PDX-SEA-MSY itinerary and the PDX-SEA was downgraded to a Q400 from a E175. AS replaced the two GGUs. We flew SEA-MSY in F as well. We had 26 in total. Only 2 left.

We are flexible so I search and see if I like what I find.

James
As 75k, don't you usually get upgraded anyway? I've never been 75k (but I have a tentative plan for next year) but people talk about something like 19/20 upgrades (can't remember what thread I read that in -- possibly this one)

As 75k you should be happy that U isn't available... you won't have MVPG's using their GGUs to take an F seat that would otherwise end up going to you
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
... As 75k you should be happy that U isn't available... you won't have MVPG's using their GGUs to take an F seat that would otherwise end up going to you
but ... but ... I don’t wanna play UG Roulette! I wanna use MY OWN GGUs too!!!

Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

but ... but ... I don’t wanna play UG Roulette! I wanna use MY OWN GGUs too!!!

At 19/20 it's more like you're the house than the roulette player though

To me, they seem a lot like the "TOD" upgrades that high level elites always complain about. It's a relatively cheap way for lower-leveled people (like me! once I hit gold anyway) to skip the queue.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
You don't have to gamble with the buy-up in advance. If U opens, you can call in and buy up to the minimum fare class to use the GGU and then they can apply this. I have done this before.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
As 75k, don't you usually get upgraded anyway? I've never been 75k (but I have a tentative plan for next year) but people talk about something like 19/20 upgrades (can't remember what thread I read that in -- possibly this one)

As 75k you should be happy that U isn't available... you won't have MVPG's using their GGUs to take an F seat that would otherwise end up going to you
Our first and last flight of most of our itineraries is through SEA on one PNR with a companion certificate. SEA is very Elite heavy. A solo traveler is likely to be upgraded more often requiring only 1U availability. I can't split a PNR with a companion certificate attached. It is possible an MVPG or an MVP for that matter could be upgraded as we are skipped by with 1U availability. I am fine with that. I would rather sit in a middle seat (one of us is usually in the middle) with him in Y than in F without him. Furthermore, any Elite that purchases an eligible fare will be on waitlist while a 75K is corralled in the "waitlist request queue" waiting to be released onto the waitlist. I prefer to confirm an instant upgrade.

So, no, I shouldn't be happy there is no U availability. For longer flights, Hawaii, East Cost, Costa Rica, I like to confirm our F seats and not be at the mercy of the upgrade processor. Additionally, an MVPG who earned a benefit should be able to enjoy that benefit and not be disadvantaged by a 75K who, in most situations, will have preferential waitlist positioning.

James
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our first and last flight of most of our itineraries is through SEA on one PNR with a companion certificate. SEA is very Elite heavy. A solo traveler is likely to be upgraded more often requiring only 1U availability. I can't split a PNR with a companion certificate attached. It is possible an MVPG or an MVP for that matter could be upgraded as we are skipped by with 1U availability. I am fine with that. I would rather sit in a middle seat (one of us is usually in the middle) with him in Y than in F without him. Furthermore, any Elite that purchases an eligible fare will be on waitlist while a 75K is corralled in the "waitlist request queue" waiting to be released onto the waitlist. I prefer to confirm an instant upgrade.

So, no, I shouldn't be happy there is no U availability. For longer flights, Hawaii, East Cost, Costa Rica, I like to confirm our F seats and not be at the mercy of the upgrade processor. Additionally, an MVPG who earned a benefit should be able to enjoy that benefit and not be disadvantaged by a 75K who, in most situations, will have preferential waitlist positioning.

James
If I was at the top of the list, I'd want there to be 0 U availability right up until takeoff, with the F cabin wide open. No P either, just to be safe. That more or less guarantees me an upgrade even with a cheap fare. But then, I'm a selfish ........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.