Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Looking at WAS fares and can find nothing right now including redeye departures from SEA.

HNL / KOA for Feb non-existent.

May start planning 2020 Q1 travel with a scant bit of hope if they keep SEA-WAS red eyes

I have something like 11 unused GGU.
Westcoaster likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
Pretty sure AS374 PDX-SAN on 7/2 went out with at least one empty in F. Was on a neighboring flight at PDX. Gate screen was showing an empty upgrade list and an upgrade offer to first for $49. Haven’t seen that in awhile.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by lalala
Looking at WAS fares and can find nothing right now including redeye departures from SEA.

May start planning 2020 Q1 travel with a scant bit of hope if they keep SEA-WAS red eyes

looks like the IAD redeye turn stays in the schedule; BWI disappears late fall

I'll pay $469/$569 on the SEA-WAS redeyes, but it doesn't appear that they're releasing any of that I/P inventory either
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
EF notice today that 1U made available on BWI-PDX for a Sunday 5:15pm departure in about three weeks.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
EF notice today that 1U made available on BWI-PDX for a Sunday 5:15pm departure in about three weeks.
The key for you is that it is a Boeing flight. I haven't seen any U space on any Airbus flights flying anywhere and anticipate that will continue to be the case until all the frames have been reconfigured.

If you hunt & peck, there is U space out there, just not on Airbus flights. Personally, I believe setting an ExpertFlyer alert on an Airbus flight is futile. If others have datapoints in finding U on an Airbus prior to gate control when remaining F are provided as upgrades, I would be interested in hearing about them.

James
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The key for you is that it is a Boeing flight. I haven't seen any U space on any Airbus flights flying anywhere and anticipate that will continue to be the case until all the frames have been reconfigured.

If you hunt & peck, there is U space out there, just not on Airbus flights. Personally, I believe setting an ExpertFlyer alert on an Airbus flight is futile. If others have datapoints in finding U on an Airbus prior to gate control when remaining F are provided as upgrades, I would be interested in hearing about them.

James
Can’t argue with that. Thankfully the routes I run never have Airbus equipment on them.
lalala and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

James
Tons of data points out there, here you go.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31312078-post310.html
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent

Awesome! Thanks. Are you able to determine if the U availability is only on reconfigured Airbus? I haven't looked lately as my routes don't usually have Airbus aircraft and I try to avoid flying on them. Nice to see some availability nonetheless.

James
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Awesome! Thanks. Are you able to determine if the U availability is only on reconfigured Airbus? I haven't looked lately as my routes don't usually have Airbus aircraft and I try to avoid flying on them. Nice to see some availability nonetheless.

James
I've seen both, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern. It's just a by-product of the upgrader issue...
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by NoLaGent

Appreciate you sharing that NoLaGent.

James
@flyingforfun, these are pre-reconfig airbii (8F) that I'm seeing with last-minute U space. I included a seatmap of the DCA-LAX flight for $361 in F. What's not cool (for us 75ks) is this is partly happening within the 5-day window. I checked again this morning and there continues to be U space on pre-reconfig airbus transcons 4-5 days out. It's been two weeks since I first noticed this. The longer it goes on, the more likely it seems like another MP downgrade and not a broken upgrader. Here are more examples as of 1152am ET 7/23/19.

EDIT: there are also examples on boeing aircraft, some within the 75k window, from PDX and SEA on Fri 7/26 & Sat 7/27. The photo uploader has stopped working, so not able to add those currently.

NoLaGent likes this.

Last edited by jjmadison; Jul 23, 2019 at 10:20 am
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Was able to upgrade GDL-LAX-ANC in 2 stages for travel at the end of the month.

Started with a K class ticket (cheapest one I could secure).

GDL-LAX had U open about 3 weeks ago. LAX-ANC had U open yesterday. 2A all the way
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison
Appreciate you sharing that NoLaGent.

@flyingforfun, these are pre-reconfig airbii (8F) that I'm seeing with last-minute U space. I included a seatmap of the DCA-LAX flight for $361 in F. What's not cool (for us 75ks) is this is partly happening within the 5-day window. I checked again this morning and there continues to be U space on pre-reconfig airbus transcons 4-5 days out. It's been two weeks since I first noticed this. The longer it goes on, the more likely it seems like another MP downgrade and not a broken upgrader. Here are more examples as of 1152am ET 7/23/19.
Thanks for the data points. I have only earned 13,669 EQM on AS this year and my last revenue flight was May 11th. I have flown 80,310 EQM on partners and 54,810 on awards so I haven't looked too closely at U availability on AS lately. It is good to see better availability on both frames.

I flew Boeing/Q400 YLW-SEA-ATL on July 8th and ATL-SEA-YLW on July 10th on N awards. I was upgraded on the return just prior to the 75K window opening. On the outbound, I did notice U availability after the MVPG window opened but since I was on an award I didn't think I could take advantage of that. I was upgraded at the gate anyway.

In retrospect, I should have called to see about upgrading earlier since I should have been on the upgrade list behind all eligible 75K revenue tickets and Z awards but ahead of 75K K, G, T, R fares & W awards. I am not one to snag upgrade space out from someone who should be upgraded ahead of me though.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 24, 2019 at 12:28 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:03 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
After a few year hiatus from this page and flipping through this thread real quick I see the same complaint thats been going on 15 plus years. Seems a lot of you new folks on here 1 to 3 years think that the further ahead you book that there should be U space. Nothing is further and nothing has ever been further from the truth. Most of the U space isnt going to open up until about 59 days out or even more likely 45 days out. Thats because theyre seeing what the load is going to be for that flight and if or who bought F or if F is going to go out 2/3 empty or if Y looks like it might over book so they want to move people up to U to sell your coach seat to someone else. In essence booking way ahead is NOT the answer to getting a U seat during booking. I realize that shrinking F from 16 to 12 seats has hurt quite a bit but still booking far out isnt the answer to land U seats
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ANC
After a few year hiatus from this page and flipping through this thread real quick I see the same complaint thats been going on 15 plus years. Seems a lot of you new folks on here 1 to 3 years think that the further ahead you book that there should be U space. Nothing is further and nothing has ever been further from the truth. Most of the U space isnt going to open up until about 59 days out or even more likely 45 days out. Thats because theyre seeing what the load is going to be for that flight and if or who bought F or if F is going to go out 2/3 empty or if Y looks like it might over book so they want to move people up to U to sell your coach seat to someone else. In essence booking way ahead is NOT the answer to getting a U seat during booking. I realize that shrinking F from 16 to 12 seats has hurt quite a bit but still booking far out isnt the answer to land U seats
Data point: I just snagged 2 U seats on my HNL-SJC flight on July 18th, which was exactly 59 days before the departure date of September 15th.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
booked U on BWI-SFO for Fri 23 Aug earlier this week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.