Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Some interesting dynamics on a flight I am watching. 4 F in 16 F cabin are reserved three months out and no U, but P and I space. (I buy Main fare). 45 days out it goes to U2, P4, I3. Then 30 days out U3, P4, I4. Then tonight at 28 days it goes to U0, P7, I7. Same 4F are reserved.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Thanks so much for your explanation. I think I finally understand the process now!

I am going to invest in Expert Flyer to watch for U SEA-LAX, LAX -FLL and SFO-SEA for this trip. LAX-FLL is a 738 so 12 seats; transcon Airbus flights are too risky for us!

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
James
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Pay.
Thanks. Also (posted this in the general questions thread but realized maybe it's more appropriate here), if you buy a non-saver ticket through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal, and then U space opens up, are you able to apply a GGU, or are you SOL since Alaska can't modify those tickets? And does it change if the UR portal issued the ticket in a fare bucket that's already eligible for a GGU?

I'm asking because from what I recall, for GGUs, when you have to pay the difference to get into a GGU-eligible fare bucket, aren't they technically doing an itinerary change? I remember something about them technically waiving the change fee as a courtesy if you're trying to apply the GGU to a ticket for someone whose ticket isn't already in an eligible fare bucket when they're not MVPG/75K and thus generally eligible for a change fee waiver.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Thanks. Also (posted this in the general questions thread but realized maybe it's more appropriate here), if you buy a non-saver ticket through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal, and then U space opens up, are you able to apply a GGU, or are you SOL since Alaska can't modify those tickets? And does it change if the UR portal issued the ticket in a fare bucket that's already eligible for a GGU?

I'm asking because from what I recall, for GGUs, when you have to pay the difference to get into a GGU-eligible fare bucket, aren't they technically doing an itinerary change? I remember something about them technically waiving the change fee as a courtesy if you're trying to apply the GGU to a ticket for someone whose ticket isn't already in an eligible fare bucket when they're not MVPG/75K and thus generally eligible for a change fee waiver.
Good question. I had challenges with UR/Expedia tickets on AS as Expedia is using bulk fares. When I've tried to use MVPG change privileges I've had no luck. Its been discussed elsewhere here. But AS says contact the OTA. Expedia then says the change fees apply because they don't have access to status data. (Dubious...) I assume trying to upfare would be a problem too because AS claims they can't see the underlying fare value on the bulk tickets to calculate the value of the upfare.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
Thanks so much for your explanation. I think I finally understand the process now!

I am going to invest in Expert Flyer to watch for U SEA-LAX, LAX -FLL and SFO-SEA for this trip. LAX-FLL is a 738 so 12 seats; transcon Airbus flights are too risky for us!
It is a good tool, not 100% but close to it.

I kind of chuckle at people who regularly drop an inpulse item beside the check-out into their cart or who regularly drop $4 or $5 dollars on a Starbucks coffee without pause, complain about an annual fee for a useful tool to add to their travel basket.

Most don't realize that a single coffee purchase each work day can be upwards of $1K annually.

James
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by williwaw
Good question. I had challenges with UR/Expedia tickets on AS as Expedia is using bulk fares. When I've tried to use MVPG change privileges I've had no luck. Its been discussed elsewhere here. But AS says contact the OTA. Expedia then says the change fees apply because they don't have access to status data. (Dubious...) I assume trying to upfare would be a problem too because AS claims they can't see the underlying fare value on the bulk tickets to calculate the value of the upfare.
Not related to UR but we use trip actions through work and I was able to book and then make changes on the AS website. One change was too complicated so I just refunded the ticket and then used the my wallet credit to buy a new one. Not sure if this will work for UR. Maybe use UR to buy a refundable ticket even if not to the destination you want to go as long as the refundable is about the same price as the nonrefundable for the destination you want. Then see if you can cancel on AS site and have it deposited into my wallet funds. Basically a way to try to turn UR $ into AS $. If it doesn’t work you can refund the ticket on the UR side.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SF1K
Then see if you can cancel on AS site and have it deposited into my wallet funds. Basically a way to try to turn UR $ into AS $.
Wouldn’t one lose trip insurance benefits using Wallet funds vs. UR (or CSP/R) for payment?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by SF1K
Maybe use UR to buy a refundable ticket even if not to the destination you want to go as long as the refundable is about the same price as the nonrefundable for the destination you want. Then see if you can cancel on AS site and have it deposited into my wallet funds. Basically a way to try to turn UR $ into AS $. If it doesn’t work you can refund the ticket on the UR side.
I don't think this will work since it books through Expedia. In my experience, when it is booked through a travel agent, AS is only able to refund it back to their card and cannot deposit the funds into your wallet.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Robert
Thanks for the datapoint, be_rettSEA. It appears DCA-LAX goes from an A32S to a 73H (737-800) beginning 8/27. I'm seeing at least U1 on most DCA-LAX flights after that date. I just snagged U space for a flight in early September. The K fare on this route is $244 one-way.
Update on the above: It appears DCA-LAX reverts back to an A321 as of Wednesday, November 6th. I see some U space between now and then, but no U space once it goes back to the 32S (not surprising).
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Has anyone seen any U fare availability on any transcons to NYC recently?
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
I have been watching those flights and not much more than a month out, but I have seen some closer around T-9 days.
Sky Dreamer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
I've not seen any U space on any east coast trancons (including) NYC more than a month away....I'm sure there has to be some U space out there, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.