Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
'Miles and Money' booking

for yet another unanticipated consequence ... the "Lowest Coach" option on the Miles and Money dropdown now returns Saver (X) fares, and of course there's STILL no way to select any Main Cabin option besides "Refundable Coach"
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jrl767
for yet another unanticipated consequence ... the "Lowest Coach" option on the Miles and Money dropdown now returns Saver (X) fares, and of course there's STILL no way to select any Main Cabin option besides "Refundable Coach"
Wow, that’s some garbage. Even Delta doesn’t do that.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
This must be an IT mistake. The FAQ says saver fares aren’t even eligible to be booked with miles & money.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TravelBrighter
This must be an IT mistake. The FAQ says saver fares aren’t even eligible to be booked with miles & money.
I emailed Customer Service; we’ll see what happens ...

Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

I emailed Customer Service; we’ll see what happens ...

Interesting how all of the flights are listed as Saver (X) except for AS2051 which is Coach (X).
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by TravelBrighter

I think are right, FAQ:

Can I use a Money and Miles award to book a Saver fare?

No, you cannot use the Money and Miles award with a Saver fare.

Looking at the above screen shot, there must be a mistake somewhere
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

making money + miles an even bigger rip-off is an impressive feat.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Is more about the amount of the increase. SFO-LAX went from $52 to $82. That is ridiculous. It is also a very competitive route.
Actually, expecting to fly SFO-LAX for $52 is ridiculous. That fare level is not sustainable.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725

Actually, expecting to fly SFO-LAX for $52 is ridiculous. That fare level is not sustainable.
Then how come Southwest is still in business?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I just checked some routes I fly. $30 Main cabin surcharge on a Q400 flight to avoid the Saver fare... for 20-ish minutes in the air with no upgrade option anyway. Nice, AS. That is essentially a 30% fare increase.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I just checked some routes I fly. $30 Main cabin surcharge on a Q400 flight to avoid the Saver fare... for 20-ish minutes in the air with no upgrade option anyway. Nice, AS. That is essentially a 30% fare increase.
Yeah, I'm on the fence about Saver on Q400 only flights. Leery about not being able to cancel/change for a full refund is the big thing. Not being able to select 1A/B 2D/E is a minor annoyance.

What kills me is AS designates the seats at the back of the Q (Rows 16-20) as Saver, just like the rest of the their fleet. Totally clueless. Saver purchasing pax can deplane almost immediately, sit in some of the best seats on the plane, sometimes get an extra drink round in 20A/B &19D/E, & still have a la Carte which eliminates much of the overhead bin contention of boarding last. Row 10-14 would have been better Saver seats if they want to use those as punishmentincentive to pay more for Main Cabin.
notquiteaff and missamo80 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yeah, I'm on the fence about Saver on Q400 only flights. Leery about not being able to cancel/change for a full refund is the big thing. Not being able to select 1A/B 2D/E is a minor annoyance.
Since my wife is only MVP, the recent change regarding changes/cancellations/refares outside the 60 day window pretty much killed the cancel/change MVPG benefit for me for most trips anyway. No longer considering speculative bookings or early lock-ins on AS.

And if my wife found out that a saver fare would keep her out of 1A (I try to get 1B for my legs), she would probably be very happy, so I am keeping quiet about that

I think I have made up my mind. In 2019 I will burn down our significant MP balances while having MVPG/MVP status. All revenue travel will shift to free agent model. AS elite status (beyond BofA card benefits - we have three among us) is no longer a goal.
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:02 pm

Initial impression is, like AA/DL/UA, a watering down of elite benefits, which is stating the obvious here. Just as with AA, AS has essentially charging "X" amount for the prior year's earned elite benefits. As per usual, they do what they do, and consumers do what they do. Short term CA flights, will opt for WN for the same price, and request a match on their A-List. ZERO motivation to book a saver fare, if WN is the same on short routes.

Only value, in my estimation, is the 100% bonus miles on int'l flights with partner airlines for potential premium class redemptions. Once they water this down, it's time to be a 100% free agent. Even then, at this point, may be just easier and more efficient to buy miles on sale.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Initial impression is, like AA/DL/UA, a watering down of elite benefits, which is stating the obvious here. Just as with AA, AS has essentially charging "X" amount for the prior year's earned elite benefits. As per usual, they do what they do, and consumers do what they do. Short term CA flights, will opt for WN for the same price, and request a match on their A-List. ZERO motivation to book a saver fare, if WN is the same on short routes.

Only value, in my estimation, is the 100% bonus miles on int'l flights with partner airlines for potential premium class redemptions. Once they water this down, it's time to be a 100% free agent. Even then, at this point, may be just easier and more efficient to buy miles on sale.
I don't disagree with any of this. But here's why I'll probably (grudgingly) stick with AS. The "saver" SFO-NYC fare is $119. Main is $149. So I'm going to pay $60 (round trip) to use my elite benefits. That bothers me a fair bit -- elite benefits are "earned" and supposed to be free.

But... as soon-to-be MVPG... what are my options? I could status match to UA... but they have basic economy too. And if I fly on UA after my status match I'm going to get 2400 miles for that $300 round trip. 1920 miles if I get a $240 round trip. With AS I'm going to get 10,000+ miles. With everyone pointing out that you can just buy the miles for 2c each... that's $200 worth of miles, on a $300 fare. It's still looking like a better deal than UA...

The other option is JetBlue. If I was doing the "free agent" route, that would be the obvious choice: better product; same price as AS saver fare. I could even pay more and get a real premium experience in Mint. But if I can get the round trip on AS for the cost of miles that I'll earn + $100, and still select a premium seat and check a bag for free... that's hard to say no to.

If AS has a serious miles devaluation (either for redemptions or earning), it will be difficult to keep flying them. Until then, the mileage earning will probably make me suck it up and keep giving them my business.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't disagree with any of this. But here's why I'll probably (grudgingly) stick with AS. The "saver" SFO-NYC fare is $119. Main is $149. So I'm going to pay $60 (round trip) to use my elite benefits. That bothers me a fair bit -- elite benefits are "earned" and supposed to be free.
Fair point here. Aside from short haul intra CA or LAS flights, I mainly fly into NYC. Here, I'm captive, since UA/DL/AA are all doing the same thing. Likely, if a GGU is available, I'll just book it, otherwise I may take my chances with AA (using 500 mile upgrades), or just book Mint.

Absent of transcon, I can't see where AS will win out over WN, all things being equal.

Last edited by dayone; Nov 23, 2018 at 5:50 pm Reason: Fix quote syntax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.