Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Seriously, with this basic economy disguised as a small poison for elite level travelers, this will definitely change the dynamic of future flying on Alaska Airlines.
Elites are now expected to pay additional $900+ ($30 X 30 transcon) to feel the current level of Alaska love (75K).
Who knows what the additional fees are going to be in 2020 and beyond.

For many, time has now come to decide your allegiance. To pay "up charge" and fly Alaska, or become free agent.

Jiburi
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
So on west coast flights that were $69 (SEA-SFO) its now $99, so a nice 30% fare increase. Not thrilled.
The increase is actually 43.5% (30÷69)

James
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi
Seriously, with this basic economy disguised as a small poison for elite level travelers, this will definitely change the dynamic of future flying on Alaska Airlines.
Elites are now expected to pay additional $900+ ($30 X 30 transcon) to feel the current level of Alaska love (75K).
It's sort of a variation on including an EQD based element in the program - instead of making you buy more expensive tickets to qualify, you have to buy more expensive tickets to get all the benefits after you qualify. And you still get more benefits than over at UA. If they don't go and add an EQD component like the US3, then it probably lets flyers off at less penalty than adding EQD would, and lets you qualify on cheap fares (it's still 500 mile minimum/segment, so throwaway saver fares on commuter flights can accumulate EQM relatively cheaply) and pick and choose whether you'd rather have the benefit or the $.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Sorry to re-post something I posted on a different thread, but I feel it's worth pointing out in here, too.

The period of a uniform $30 buy-up is definitely over, and it only lasted a few weeks. Here's an evening in March 2019: $30, $20, $10, or no Saver, depending on the flight. I don't know if these are being set based on other carriers' schedules, or if it happens automatically, based on available underlying fare class.
For the curious, here are the costs to buy out of Saver:
$99: L (+ $30 or ~18%)
$211: H (so no Saver would be expected here, but + $0 or 0%)
$114: G (+ $20 or ~21%)
$124: K (+ $10 or ~9%)

I don't mean to be pollyannaish about this. I am deeply unhappy about these Saver fares. But claims that they're a 50% price hike are just not accurate.
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CalanMan
The period of a uniform $30 buy-up is definitely over, and it only lasted a few weeks.
Agreed. Seeing +$15 for the buy-up on SFO-LAX fares, which is more reasonable than $30. I'm still a bit miffed that they wouldn't scale it at least on the intra-CA flights on the initial roll out, but I guess it is better to start high and go down than do the reverse.
I would really love to see how the volume of bookings on short-haul flights have changed since the X rollout and for the BF/Cyber-Monday sale compared to last year for comparisons sake.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't mean to be pollyannaish about this. I am deeply unhappy about these Saver fares. But claims that they're a 50% price hike are just not accurate.
It was true. It's only within the last week that the buy-ups have been modified.

Last week there were, for example, SFO-LAX flights were saver was $49 and main was $79. Now they have come down to saver $49, main $64. That's still a 30% price hike

I even see an LAX-LAS flight that's $51 for saver and $81 for Main (59% -- AS 1490 on 1/25)

It took me only a couple of seconds to find this -- I just did a search on some random dates. I'm sure that if you take some times you can find more. I don't think that they are rare cases.

So, while it's not a 50% hike across the board, it is a very steep price hike, sometimes even exceeding 50%, particularly on short routes.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBear
I would really love to see how the volume of bookings on short-haul flights have changed since the X rollout and for the BF/Cyber-Monday sale compared to last year for comparisons sake.
Yeah, in my mind, it's super unfortunate that the $30 buy-up period basically hosed the Black Friday sale this year. Maybe that was their intent?

There were definitely some tickets that I would have purchased for the $10 markup, but $30 was just too much. Southwest seems to be getting a fair chunk of my late-winter/early-spring travel in 2019, which totally bums me out.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Yeah, in my mind, it's super unfortunate that the $30 buy-up period basically hosed the Black Friday sale this year. Maybe that was their intent?
Running a sale with the express purpose of having people not buy the things on sale? I think it's far more likely that they just started with $30 for all flights as a baseline and then realized how terrible of an idea that was after dismal Cyber Monday sales.
notquiteaff, CalanMan and DrAlex like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jinglish
Running a sale with the express purpose of having people not buy the things on sale? I think it's far more likely that they just started with $30 for all flights as a baseline and then realized how terrible of an idea that was after dismal Cyber Monday sales.
My thoughts exactly. I don't have the data to back me up, but I feel like the implementation could have been better developed than a flat rollout. Of course, I'm not revenue management and will never know the full extent of the story in fairness to AS. I hope that if that was the case, they take some lessons learned though.
CalanMan likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:52 pm

Yes, also very much hoping that that's the case.

If I put on my tinfoil hat, "Running a sale with the express purpose of having people not buy the things [at the sale price]," does make a little bit more business sense.

But I like your conclusion better, so that's what I'm going to choose to believe.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I agree...I think the Cyber Monday sale, which use to be a pretty big deal, was largely ignored this year.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Might even be more than that if you factor Hawaii travel which is about the same distance as transcon for those of us on the west coast. Some of those are an additional $45 each way.

The primary reason I'm with Alaska is miles. Start tampering with those and I can live off my lifetime AA or UA status. I rarely make flight changes and if I can find a window seat I might be a likely candidate to at least give basic economy a try.

Tom in Nuremberg tonight
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For many, time has now come to decide your allegiance. To pay "up charge" and fly Alaska, or become free agent.

Jiburi
The vast majority of flyers doing 30 transcons a year are likely business flyers who aren't paying for their flights and don't really care what it costs. I suspect a big part of the reason Basic Economy fares have succeeded is that many corporate purchasing departments are now excluding them -- much to the delight of the airlines.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by LBJ
The vast majority of flyers doing 30 transcons a year are likely business flyers who aren't paying for their flights and don't really care what it costs. I suspect a big part of the reason Basic Economy fares have succeeded is that many corporate purchasing departments are now excluding them -- much to the delight of the airlines.

the individuals may not particularly care, but their travel accounting departments most likely do ... in my case, Concur flags anything beyond $25 over “lowest logical fare” (but luckily — so far — doesn’t return Basic Economy options in flight searches)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jrl767

the individuals may not particularly care, but their travel accounting departments most likely do ...
Exactly. I doubt that large corporate travel buyers are just eating a 20-40% surcharge... or able to. Presumably if they are large enough, they will negotiate some deal with their preferred airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.