Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:28 pm

Actually, not so bad. Basically, for same price short routes, choose WN. Otherwise if WN is more, just treat AS $50 or under fares as disposable. Longer routes, like transcon, pay for Main/GGU fares.

At least, if I miss a flight, don't even have to bother cancelling or notifying them, assuming they don't start charging for no shows.
FlyingBear likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Well, not completely true. Sure, no upgrades but you get to board before most on your elite status thereby knowing you will have plenty of carry on space, you still get a "free" drink in the back of the bus based on your elite status. Yes, i get this is not important to many, but you do get "some" benefits based on your elite status.
And, while not inflight, you get 100% EQM and Elite RDM Bonus. So your Saver fare will give you a preselected seat towards the back that includes an isle or a window, a complimentary drink and digi-player as appropriate for your status, 100% EQM & Elite Bonus RDM, priority boarding and a carry-on with overhead bin access and checked bag fee waivers via status or credit card. That seems, to me, to be pretty generous compared to the BE fare restrictions on the Big 3.

I am astonished that so many are surprised the cheapest fares are now saver. Did you expect saver to cost less? Operating the flights cost more than last year. Fares are increasing. Would you be happier with a blanket increase of fares with all the same benefits? It seems to bother many that the approach has been to keep a few seats as saver fares without the increase to be competitive with the other airlines BE pricing while offering better value comparatively.

If Southwest is a better fit, please, by all means fly them. They have thoudands of flights a day to offset a lost leader in an AS Market. Yet for 12/3 SW OAK-SEA WGA Fare is $186, AS main $69, At least 2 U available for GGUs at $122 or P for $164. I don't like to compare AS & SW because they are apples and oranges in FF Benefits.

The cheap, full benefit fares have come to an end. Why are you not happy to have had them when the rest of the industry never did? Alaska could have said no benefits for our BE competitive fares at the outset. Full Stop.

James
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If Southwest is a better fit, please, by all means fly them. They have thoudands of flights a day to offset a lost leader in an AS Market. Yet for 12/3 SW OAK-SEA WGA Fare is $186, AS main $69, At least 2 U available for GGUs at $122 or P for $164. I don't like to compare AS & SW because they are apples and oranges in FF Benefits.

s
Did you mistype the date? 12/3 OAK-SEA:
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Dupe... sorry
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
So your Saver fare will give you a preselected seat towards the back that includes an isle or a window,
That is not how Alaska describes it.

”These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver

i think we will have to wait and see how many non-middle seats will be available for Saver tickets at booking.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

i think we will have to wait and see how many non-middle seats will be available for Saver tickets at booking.

To answer your question, not many. Looking at an LAX trip for 1/9-10 and my options are 29B or 30E. I can choose a PC seat for a $35 one-way add-on...

*edited to add - or on my outbound, none. Unless I want to pay $35 for PC as booking a Main seat is not an option on the "Saver" fare.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

No we don't. We can see it now.

As of now, everything towards the rear of the plane (eg, row 28+) is available for saver. That includes windows and aisles. Of course, as people buy tickets and select seats, these seats may fill up, and so it's possible that there are very few, or even no, saver seats available for selection when you buy a ticket. That's the reason for this disclaimer.

Of course they may change it in the future and make window and aisle saver-ineligible, but that's not the case now.

That's actually why saver is currently a pretty good deal for non elites. You give up very little. There were only ever a couple of rows that were ahead of the exit rows that were not "elite" seating. I see very little reason for a non-elite to buy up to main.

That is the problem with this. It's not that fares have gone up a little bit for everyone. It's that fares have gone up a lot for elites who want to use their elite benefits, and stayed the same for everyone else. It's a bait-and-switch for people who spent the year earning elite status, only to be told now that if they want to use most of the benefits that they were promised, they need to pay more than everyone else.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold

"Saver fares - now available on Alaska Airlines

Experience the inflight benefits of Main seating at a lower price.
We’re introducing our newest ticket, the Saver fare, to offer you the same comfortable, friendly Main Cabin inflight experience you’ve come to expect, now at our most affordable price."

My main issue, honestly, is the slippery way this has been presented to frequent flyers. Saying Saver fares are "now" available is disingenuous to those of us who have seen the same cheap fares (under a different name) on the webpage for years and purchased them precisely because of the flexibility and the potential for an upgrade that we thought we paid for on the front end, by acquiring status. I don't usually bring bags, I've never been 75K so don't get a complimentary digi, and it's nice to bank miles but I don't get to use them often because then I won't make status next year.

The operating costs fluctuate but go up over the long term, yes. That is not the purpose of this change. They are simply monetizing specific prized benefits of status (as opposed to the acquisition of status, like the majors do), in hopes that people are willing to pay more for them. I am not. I also know I'm not the only one.
notquiteaff and jjmadison like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No we don't. We can see it now.

As of now, everything towards the rear of the plane (eg, row 28+) is available for saver. That includes windows and aisles. Of course, as people buy tickets and select seats, these seats may fill up, and so it's possible that there are very few, or even no, saver seats available for selection when you buy a ticket. That's the reason for this disclaimer.
It’s early in the rollout. The post just above yours is an example where the choices are very limited. My point was basically that Travel For Fun should not assume there will be an aisle or window seat to choose from. AS says most Saver seats will be assigned at checkin. If they make it too nice, they don’t achieve their goal - upsells to Main.

That is the problem with this. It's not that fares have gone up a little bit for everyone. It's that fares have gone up a lot for elites who want to use their elite benefits, and stayed the same for everyone else. It's a bait-and-switch for people who spent the year earning elite status, only to be told now that if they want to use most of the benefits that they were promised, they need to pay more than everyone else.
Right, it is basically a $30 copayment for me to play the Premium Class or First lottery. No thanks. We’ll have to see what happens to Exit row... they were saying they were planning to monetize that, too.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:50 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Sigh... such a misunderstanding of the new system.
Alaska's fault for being completely stupid with how they describe it. Directly from https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...erience/saver:

"Elite Mileage Plan passengers keep elite boarding status. Other Saver fare rules and restrictions apply to MVP®, MVP® Gold, and MVP® Gold 75k Mileage Plan members."

It's very easy to mis-read that you only get your elite boarding status and nothing else. You have to go way down into the FAQ to get the breakdown, and even then it is spread across multiple questions.

Neil
notquiteaff and MJMLBBtoCPH like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bethelite

"Saver fares - now available on Alaska Airlines

Experience the inflight benefits of Main seating at a lower price.
We’re introducing our newest ticket, the Saver fare, to offer you the same comfortable, friendly Main Cabin inflight experience you’ve come to expect, now at our most affordable price."

My main issue, honestly, is the slippery way this has been presented to frequent flyers. Saying Saver fares are "now" available is disingenuous to those of us who have seen the same cheap fares (under a different name) on the webpage for years
Yup. For the most part, the “at a lower price” (implying “than before”) is simply not true. Some may call it marketing speak, I call it lying. (and yes, the pricing isn’t unexpected, having seen the BE rollout by the Big Three)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
$30 to destroy my itinerary, checked bags, and snag exit row. Sure. I already said, being in the minority, I'm OK with paying for this level of flexibility. I already do that when I buy into "K" class or higher for insta-upgrades/GGUs, etc.
MagicCarpetRider likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
$30 to destroy my itinerary, checked bags, and snag exit row. Sure. I already said, being in the minority, I'm OK with paying for this level of flexibility. I already do that when I buy into "K" class or higher for insta-upgrades/GGUs, etc.
sure but now you’re paying $30 for X->G/R/T and another $30+ for G/R/T->K/L
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Did you mistype the date? 12/3 OAK-SEA:
Yes, in fact I did. The date should have been 1/3. Southwest also has a $69.00 WGA fare that date on their non-stop but their anytime fare is almost twice the price of the AS P fare. Southwest's 8 hour 15 min two-stop first flight of the day is already sold out on WGA. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

James

AS OAK-SEA 1/3

OAK-SEA 1/3 Southwest
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
[QUOTE=Flying for Fun;30470460]Yes, in fact I did. The date should have been 1/3. Southwest also has a $69.00 WGA fare that date on their non-stop but their anytime fare is almost twice the price of the AS P fare. Southwest's 8 hour 15 min two-stop first flight of the day is already sold out on WGA. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

James

/QUOTE]
This is a thread about saver fares and you picked a date when saver fares are not applicable yet on that route and did not include the many other non-stops that WN had either? What was the point of that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.