Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pcoll

well for starters ....checked bag fees are less on HA. I believe Y passengers get complimentary meal. If not chasing status or having no status (AS) HA seems like a much more pleasing experience.
i am thinking of leisure traveler with family in this instance.
Hawaiian raised its luggage fees as well as of Nov 13 (https://thepointsguy.com/news/hawaii...cked-bag-fees/). For me, having AS status does mean free luggage. Also, for now the BoA cert offers better value that Hawaiian's $100 of companion flight. Given that I'll never get an upgrade for a family of 3 as an MVP, I'll tolerate the saver fare as long as there are seats together and the cert makes the flight substantially cheaper than the competition.

However, I'm willing to pay a bit more for tangible benefits like WN's change policy or HA's better flight times on certain flights (and free meals), not a perk like the right to sit farther up front on AS. Thinking of the case where even with the BoA cert, I'm only saving on around $100 total on my family's airfare compared to buying AS saver.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
This situation reminds me of how, if you want mileage redemption exactly when flights become available roughly 11 months out, you usually can only find the highest redemption levels. But if you wait a few days or a week, lower redemptions suddenly become available. This may not be analogous, but there is almost too much consistency for the new Saver fares to stick across the board the way they've been introduced. IMHO.
I hope you're right, but I would then be disappointed that they didn't look at their data more carefully and implement some of these corrections before rolling it out. I think I'd give them more slack if the Saver fares didn't hit for flights +90 days from the implementation. Rolling it out for flights sooner than that means they will need to figure out corrections for their Jan traffic much more quickly.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
I hope you're right, but I would then be disappointed that they didn't look at their data more carefully and implement some of these corrections before rolling it out. I think I'd give them more slack if the Saver fares didn't hit for flights +90 days from the implementation. Rolling it out for flights sooner than that means they will need to figure out corrections for their Jan traffic much more quickly.
Or perhaps just use it as a test, and adjust even more finely after seeing how the bulk load results turn out.

I honestly no longer know what to expect from Alaska these days in terms of sudden changes in schedules, aircraft, frequent flyer benefits and pricing. Seems to be a fair amount of seat-of-the-pants and last-minute over the past year, and I've been bitten a few times. A gate agent told me this week she's basically given up trying to keep track of all the policy changes; there are simply a lot of them.
FlyingBear likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by pbd456
The strong point for AS is still 100% RDM which is better than the big 3.

For one to do 15 domestic round trip transcon to keep Alaska 75k, and it will costs 900 USD more to fly Main Cabin. 30*3= 900.
That's pretty much my profile now, after walking away from AA after 17 years at the EXP/100K level there. Already have 60K booked in 2019 prior to the basic economy fares, so will only have a few flights towards the end of 2019 where I'll need to decide. The decision factor for me will be how I do on upgrades. I'm about 50% on Airbus aircraft with 8 seats and not sure I'd be willing to pay the $900 extra unless my numbers increased. When I was at AA my upgrade rate ranged from 90-100% the last dozen years. Will I eventually see that from SFO on Alaska transcons? I'd feel a little better with Airbus reconfigurations with more F seats or Boeing aircraft with 16 F seats being moved onto existing routes.

Right now every flight I have in Jan/Feb to/from SFO, except one EWR-SFO, has only 8 F seats. Will be interesting to see how upgrades play out with those aircraft. I'd hate to pay $60RT extra with the new fare system and not clear the upgrade list. I survived the first year of the merger in Virgin America aircraft back in rows 26-28, and if the upgrades don't come through that's where you'll see my flying again on basic economy fares as long as 100% miles plus elite bonuses are in play.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Didn’t realize how much Saver would ruin my travel plans for 2019.

I fly to GEG every other week for work because I hate the drive. I generally buy these tickets when they’re $50-90. The benefit of Alaska was the free SDS for everyone on this route. I frequently would have to work late and consequently have to take the later flight.

These new Saver fares are going to seriously make me reconsider flying as this is nearly a 60% price hike.
Idaho Territory and faithful like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just shopping for flights on UA last night (there's no easy way to get from LAX to DTW on AS) and they were pretty consistently pricing regular discount economy at BE+$30 (sometimes BE+$40). So to some extent AS is just copying UA et al. Hopefully they revise their west coast pricing model to stay competitive with WN rather than blindly following UA.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Ironically, the fact that the AS Saver fare is less restrictive than other BE fares makes it seem more spiteful as an elite. UA BE, for example, seems like a straight-up fare increase — I’d rarely recommend anyone buy that fare. But for a non-elite, the only significant downside of AS Saver is more limited seat selection, and I could easily see recommending someone buy Saver, especially on a < 2 hour flight. As a result the Saver fares appear to be exclusively targeted at getting more revenue from elites. That might be the right business decision, but it certainly feels more personal than the US3 BE fare introductions.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by milypan
Ironically, the fact that the AS Saver fare is less restrictive than other BE fares makes it seem more spiteful as an elite. UA BE, for example, seems like a straight-up fare increase — I’d rarely recommend anyone buy that fare. But for a non-elite, the only significant downside of AS Saver is more limited seat selection, and I could easily see recommending someone buy Saver, especially on a < 2 hour flight. As a result the Saver fares appear to be exclusively targeted at getting more revenue from elites. That might be the right business decision, but it certainly feels more personal than the US3 BE fare introductions.
Spot on. I think this BE product is the best out of the 4(UA, AA, DL, AS) for non-elites, but as an elite flying mostly up-and-down the coast it does feel like a personal attack -- either pay $30 for a chance to upgrade or be stuck at the back cabin. For transcon flights $30 is not that much but still an insult to the elites.
jjmadison and faithful like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I was just shopping for flights on UA last night (there's no easy way to get from LAX to DTW on AS) and they were pretty consistently pricing regular discount economy at BE+$30 (sometimes BE+$40). So to some extent AS is just copying UA et al. Hopefully they revise their west coast pricing model to stay competitive with WN rather than blindly following UA.
UA varies the fare difference depending on the market. For SFO-LAX, the difference is only $10 - $13 each way. That's quite a bit less than AS on that route. AA and DL are similar to UA.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
UA varies the fare difference depending on the market. For SFO-LAX, the difference is only $10 - $13 each way. That's quite a bit less than AS on that route. AA and DL are similar to UA.
The real price you pay on UA for SFO-LAX is that when they turn on flow control at SFO it would have been faster to drive, since the regional planes get delayed/cancelled first.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:01 pm

Pay up to maintain your Elite status

So my 42 flights in 2018 between PDX and SAN last year will now cost me $1260 more a year to stay MVPG with the additional $30 a ticket. What used to be the best available priced flights are now simply Saver fares. So Alaska now wants me just to pay up in 2019 to maintain status/benefits? Unfortunately I would no longer ethically be sourcing the best priced ticket for my company. I would be choosing to spend an extra $60 rt just for the personal perks of the MVPG program.
Logged on for Cyber Monday and had 8 flights to book, and my wife, also a Gold, had 9 to book. As there appear to be no incentives to purchase and we are not quite ready to walk away from our MVPG benefits we are stumped. Pay up or just look for best available fares including SW. Not happy. How is this good for Elites? You are charging us more for what we already had?

Last edited by JohnPP; Nov 25, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by JohnPP
So my 42 flights in 2018 between PDX and SAN last year will now cost me $1260 more a year to stay Gold MVP with the additional $30 a ticket.
To nitpick: if you'd like to receive MVPG status benefits, yes, you need to pay $1260 more a year. But if all you want is to maintain your status (without reaping its benefits), the marginal cost is $0 per year. Saver fares still earn 100% EQM. (This is more generous than United, where Basic Economy earns 0% EQM.)
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JohnPP
I would no longer ethically be sourcing the best priced ticket for my company.
Many large companies block Basic Economy/Saver fares from their booking tools.

Companies to airlines: We don't want your cheapest fares
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
“Basic economy class airfares are to be used for all flights unless employee receives a free upgrade.”
That line is not from a small employer.
I believe that saver fares are a product of the Alaska insights surveys. Too many Alaska insights asked about business vs leisure travel. Alaska belives (as do many posters) that business prohibit basic economy therefore they can get more money.
I personally answered many a survey that most of my travel is for business. Traveling to and from work and I foot the bill.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by dayone
Many large companies block Basic Economy/Saver fares from their booking tools.

Companies to airlines: We don't want your cheapest fares
Presumably that would then guarantee in many cases that the employee would not be buying the cheapest ticket if they went with AS, since non-Saver AS fares look pretty expensive at the moment.
rustykettel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.