Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
They will pay the cheapest price possible and are just happy to get to their destination and can still do so with full eqm and a seat,
Most travelers don't know or care what an eqm is, and will never have status of any kind.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You are assuming someone who purchases a saver fare is also going to be purchasing Premium. That likely isn't going to happen. They will pay the cheapest price possible and are just happy to get to their destination and can still do so with full eqm and a seat, despite a middle in the back, that is better than ULCCs with sardine can pitch.

James.
Then why offer PC at all? But they do. And they offer it to Saver fare purchasers for more than Main + PC. And you underestimate the desire to upsell.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rating-margin/

A lot of those airlines making the best operating margins (Ryanair, Spirit, AirAsia, Wizz Air) are in the nickel and dime your customers business, or are edging over to there (Delta, Alaska).

Ever notice that plug to buy insurance for your trip when you're buying an AS ticket? That's it too.

Just you wait until your U upgrades are sold Delta-style to anyone who wants to buy them while you're waiting from them to clear... Alaska would be foolish not to. Don't think that this is going to be limited to the rabble. Ask over in the DL forum what "WFBF" means.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Then why offer PC at all? But they do. And they offer it to Saver fare purchasers for more than Main + PC. And you underestimate the desire to upsell.

A lot of those airlines making the best operating margins (Ryanair, Spirit, AirAsia, Wizz Air) are in the nickel and dime your customers business, or are edging over to there (Delta, Alaska).

Ever notice that plug to buy insurance for your trip when you're buying an AS ticket? That's it too.
Valid points, everything, not just the airline industry, is going nickle and dime. It makes products and services appear cheaper than they are. It is like a can of your favourite coffee. The price doesn't increase, just the amount of coffee they put in it decreases. Rather than unilaterally increasing fares and possibly losing market in a highly competitive industry, "unbudling" will attract an audience that has no interest in the "extras." Effectively, it is increasing prices without increasing fares. Not everyone flying Ryanair is pulling out their nickles and dimes. Similarly, not everyone will pull them out for Alaska either. Comparatively, AS Saver will look more attractive than the others' Basic Economy offerings. With the AS CC you still get a checked bag. You still get a carry-on, full EQM if you are a member of MP. No cancellation, changes on a $119.00 transcon isn't really an issue. Without a waiver the fee is $125 for main. The only real difference for the 75%+ that don't sit in Premium or First is seat selection. 30B is infinitely better than any Ryanair seat. Those looking for a more "bundled" approach are probably a little more savvy and can assess the value of the different options. If not, then they pay as much or more for slightly less.

James
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I'm surprised to see mileage-earning unchanged, but I won't be buying these fares based on the draconian restrictions for elites.
Ditto.

Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
I would like to remind AS that they are still in a market share fight with Southwest Airlines...
I am absolutely in love with WN...flexible, cheap, fun and rewarding. Sure it has its quirks, but probably the most customer friendly carrier in the USA right now.
I expect AS to waive BE/Saver restrictions in West Coast markets, at least for elites, in order to remain competitive with no change fees and 2 free bags.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I am starting to regret some purchase decisions I made this year that will lead to renewed MVPG status next year.
I did a status match from WN to AS and I will requalify as MVP by year end. If the new restrictions hold I will barely benefit from that requalification. Just when you think the grass is greener on the other side and jump, they turn off the watering system.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Makes NO sense to sell someone a non-changeable PC seat for MORE than the cost of a "regular" one

That is the kind of customer-unfriendly territory inhabited by the likes of Comcast and Wells Fargo...
Yes and no. I agree with James that most people who buy these fares won't be buying up to PC, because they're buying on price alone, but I would also argue, ever so gently, that being willing to sell PC after the purchase of X is done, at all, is both customer- and profit-friendly.

The Saver crowd won't be buying PC generally, but if someone changes their mind, or has regret, the airline should always be willing to take their money for something better. This is something that Delta does really well, and others are catching up on. The most prominent feature of Saver fares are that they aren't flexible, so they can't sell more flexibility later on, or that would defeat the point of the product. You can, however, sell someone a better, guaranteed seat.

Sure, it would be nice if more money always resulted in a better value, but that's just not the case. If it was, NK and G4 wouldn't be in business. Lots of products, in lots of industries (not just hated ones like banks and cable providers) offer better values if you buy a bundle up-front. Media streaming services and theater or sports season tickets come to mind.
jinglish and DrAlex like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Gold 75K
I fly SFO to SEA twice a month and regularly avail myself of the change fee waiver since I'm MVP Gold. Is it crazy to buy a bunch of $69 tickets for next year now, since those tickets can be changed for free?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is one of my favorite uses of the waived fee. Not crazy at all.

When I used to go to Vegas a lot (like, 15x per year) I would just buy ANY cheap VX fare for a weekend trip (I had the CC for waived change fees). If I ended up not wanting to go that weekend I'd just cancel and the money would go into my travel bank. I would also SDC to a more convenient time quite often.

I view waived change fees as the most valuable benefit of a FF program. It allows you to get a lot of cheap travel, because you can buy before you are sure.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by sjbsf
I fly SFO to SEA twice a month and regularly avail myself of the change fee waiver since I'm MVP Gold. Is it crazy to buy a bunch of $69 tickets for next year now, since those tickets can be changed for free?
Now is exactly the time to stock up on those $69 tickets for 2019. X fares are only on a very limited number of markets, all out of SAN. Come February, they'll be everywhere.

It's worth noting that in Alaska's contract of carriage, Rule 7, Section D explicitly states that:
...bookings and/or reservations made by Passengers with no intention of being used, are prohibited and may be subject to cancellation.
So you should really only book stuff you intend to use. However, how well Alaska's fraud detection algorithms are at detecting the dark secrets in your soul isn't publicly known.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Just you wait until your U upgrades are sold Delta-style to anyone who wants to buy them while you're waiting from them to clear... Alaska would be foolish not to. Don't think that this is going to be limited to the rabble. Ask over in the DL forum what "WFBF" means.
DL changed the buy-up program quite a bit in May 2017. Buy-up offers tend to be shut-off when a flight gets down to about F3 based on what I have seen since then. I also rarely ever see the offer amount change. I have yet to see any significant differences in my upgrade rate to backup these claims that DL is making absurdly cheap offers to try to sell off every last FC seat. Rene keeps recycling his offer from years ago when he was on a cheap full Y DL Boxing Day massacre mistake fare (back when the offer amounts generally varied with original purchased fare class).

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 16, 2018 at 3:53 am
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Did a bit more research -- the difference of Main Cabin PC and Saver PC is always $20 -- despite the buyups being $15, $25 and $30. I would suspect them to change that otherwise long-haul Saver PC is actually cheaper for most travellers. For elites that's not good news since Saver fares could take up the entire PC cabin.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Did a bit more research -- the difference of Main Cabin PC and Saver PC is always $20 -- despite the buyups being $15, $25 and $30. I would suspect them to change that otherwise long-haul Saver PC is actually cheaper for most travellers. For elites that's not good news since Saver fares could take up the entire PC cabin.
I agree that this is stupid but I don't think that a price drop from from $119 extra to $109 extra is going to fill the whole cabin, especially since the selection fee will actually be $139.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nsx
Ditto.
I expect AS to waive BE/Saver restrictions in West Coast markets, at least for elites, in order to remain competitive with no change fees and 2 free bags.
SAN (where they rolled this out on trial) is a West Coast market (and WN is top dog there). From everything they have said their target is keeping up with DL/UA/AA with a slightly better Basic Economy, but just slightly, and cashing the $ from people running away from Saver fares to Main. We'll see how that goes; it didn't for AA/UA.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Looks like they are expanding saver to more flights; it’s currently offered on sea-hnl flights on 1/19.

Some interesting pricing, too. One of the flights has a $45 difference between saver and main, while the second is a $20 difference. The third doesn’t offer saver, but does offer a main cabin price that is less than the saver price offered on the other two.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no T space on the two fights that have X. (The lower fare books into T)

ETA: You can actually book X on the flight that does have T... but the X fare is $10 more than the T.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Looks like they are expanding saver to more flights; it’s currently offered on sea-hnl flights on 1/19.
They said during the earnings call a few weeks ago that the wide rollout of saver fares would be mid-to-late January, so this seems to confirm that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.