Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I just helped a family member and companion buy Saver Fares to Hawaii. The family member has the Alaska Visa and we used the companion ticket for a mostly free second ticket. With the Visa card, they each get a free bag. As non-elites with firm travel plans, the Saver Fare restrictions cost them almost nothing. Three rows of windows and aisles were available near the back. Main Fare seats were no better, merely closer to the front. Priority boarding isn't a big deal on a leisure flight, where overhead bins are less likely to be full.

I have Gold Guest upgrades which they can't use now, but there's no way even one of those, let alone two, will become available on Hawaii flights to non-elites once they are gone. I bought the tickets with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card in order to have Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption protection.

Saver Fares are a large step down from Main for top elites, but only a small step down for non-elites.
milypan, tatterdema and PDXpress like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Exactly. I doubt that large corporate travel buyers are just eating a 20-40% surcharge... or able to. Presumably if they are large enough, they will negotiate some deal with their preferred airlines.
How many corps buy tickets well in advance where the additional expense is that large? I doubt there is many. Our Concur includes alternatives like NK and WN, but they are not considered "Preferred" airlines and we don't have to book them. The flights ordered by non-stop and preferred airlines and the preferred are just the big three legacies which all have BE fares now (which are filtered out).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SJC-PDX: saver $76; Main $117. $41 buy-up.

I wonder what the max will be?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:56 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
SJC-PDX: saver $76; Main $117. $41 buy-up.

I wonder what the max will be?
I saw $45 on one OAK-OGG flight.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nsx
Saver Fares are a large step down from Main for top elites, but only a small step down for non-elites.
A surcharge for those wanting to use elite benefits.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

I see it the other way around.

James
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels

Or in some cases, a surcharge for almost nothing. Looking at PVR to SEA on 3/13, paying an extra $32 as an MVP doesn’t provide an exit row seat because it’s an Airbus seating configuration. Getting an upgrade to even premium class seems less likely than being struck by lightning. Even the elite seats in the front are selected, with the exception of a few middle seats. Yet, there are still seats in the back available to select for a saver fare. So, as an MVP, the only reason to pay up to main cabin is for the added flexibility.

I ended up booking the DL flight, which saved $96 and included a more reasonable $15 buy up from saver to main. I realize that booking away from AS on this trip may be the reason I don’t make MVP in 2020. But, given what little MVP benefits are left, along with a new surcharge in place to utilize them, I just don’t see the point of paying more to retain status on Alaska anymore.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I see it the other way around.

James
Elite benefits for those interested in paying a surcharge?

That is kind of what I am going to do going forward, I think. Buy what I want/need and pay no more. Want PC? Sure, I will pay. Don’t expect to need flexibility? Don’t pay for it. And certainly don’t pay AS higher fares because I may need the EQM. #FreeAgentFTW

Originally Posted by Bretmd
I ended up booking the DL flight, which saved $96 and included a more reasonable $15 buy up from saver to main. I realize that booking away from AS on this trip may be the reason I don’t make MVP in 2020. But, given what little MVP benefits are left, along with a new surcharge in place to utilize them, I just don’t see the point of paying more to retain status on Alaska anymore.
Yes. MVP has very little appeal to me. No worth spending time tracking and planning for. We’ll keep ourcredit cards because it is at worst cost neutral (AF covered by companion fare discount), so we will have free checked bags if needed. We can afford to buy PC when it matters, or buy exit row out from elites’ butts.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Dec 8, 2018 at 11:07 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
willing to bet these aren't X fares

clicking on WAS-SEA brings up travel dates of 2-9 Jan, and Saver isn't even offered (moreover, the lowest-priced flights on those dates come out to $448)

incidentally, on 23 Jan the X-->Main buyup is only $10 (IAD-SEA and BWI-LAX-SEA)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:51 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Saver fares disappeared today from the OAK-OGG route I've been watching. At the top of the home page in yellow is the notice "Looks like we are experiencing a temporary technical issue. We are aware of the issue and are actively looking into it."

Edited to add: The fare listed on the date ribbon is the Saver fare, but the Saver column is absent from the fare matrix.

I wonder whether Alaska is tweaking its Saver pricing tactics on Hawaii routes.

Last edited by nsx; Dec 12, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
dont even know why. booked 30k miles on AS on R class in Jan Feb...
flying almost every weekend...

originally only booked 3 trips (including MLK and President day long weekend) and another trip for personal reason.

expedia app 100 off means i booked 3 more round trip jfk sea for 156 usd in R class. oh well.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Quick question re: Saver fares

If we get one free checked bag with our Alaska Visa payment card, does that apply to Saver fares as well?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Yes....you can view the many posts on this topic.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i booked one way JFK SFO R class -- 10 USD over X class on Feb 16.

already have ovee 30k AS miles booked in R class.....
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Interesting glitch, we allow you to select saver on impossible booking At least it errors out once adding to the cart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.