Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
That is bizarre. Why would they allow Savers in the exit row and other seats normally blocked for elites???
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Within 24 hours the elite seats are open to all. Interesting X can go anywhere though!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Yesterday waiting for my flight back from MCO, I did witness the GA tell a number of people with Saver Fares that they could not move around, or be seated together due to the restrictions on their fares. It certainly seems like they've been told to tow the line.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by lg20
Yesterday waiting for my flight back from MCO, I did witness the GA tell a number of people with Saver Fares that they could not move around, or be seated together due to the restrictions on their fares. It certainly seems like they've been told to tow the line.
I was just thinking that I've been surprised that I haven't seen any dramatic stories (here, in local news, etc.) of upset families or shocked, un-upgraded elites since AS started flying Saver

Maybe there have been and I just missed them...?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
I was just thinking that I've been surprised that I haven't seen any dramatic stories (here, in local news, etc.) of upset families or shocked, un-upgraded elites since AS started flying Saver

Maybe there have been and I just missed them...?
I don't think we will see that since AS was pretty much last to the saver party.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Just booked my first AS Saver trip. As usual, I selected seats in row 30 (A, C, D, F) on the SEA-ATL red-eye. Those seats in the middle (30B and 30E) are the absolute last on the plane that anyone would choose, but now it occurs to me that Saver is going to assign someone to those seats at check-in.

Does basic economy mean the end of empty middle seats at the very back of the plane?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that AS is hoping that it means the end of all empty seats

I don't think that it will necessarily pick the "worst" possible seats to assign to people. You get last pick, but it's not going to put you in 30B if 20C is available (I don't think it will?)

Also I find that the middle seats are often not last to go. Many people travel as couples and will pick two adjacent seats (which include a middle)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
When I check in on app with X and press "seat", they show options to buy up the premium seat for $99.
Speculating if it might change the code from X to something else, thus allowing change/cancel.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that AS is hoping that it means the end of all empty seats ...

Haha. I agree.

In Nov and Dec, I saw transcon flights fill up in last few days.

And this past week, 2 out of 3 flights between SFO<->LAX. had reseating weight balance issues because not enough seats sold.

By now, Alaska should be getting trend data about the x-fares.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
When I check in on app with X and press "seat", they show options to buy up the premium seat for $99.
Speculating if it might change the code from X to something else, thus allowing change/cancel.
EXTREMELY doubtful
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:34 pm

I think it change to the next ticketing class, since if you choose to pay for it, your return section cannot book at X class
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:40 pm

By the way, just flown AS X class. You can still check your luggage for free if you have Alaska Visa Card.
Seat is OK. just need to be packed at the back. Drink Service comes last, but still a pleasant one. Boarding as group C.
I would say if you are flying same day/1 to 2 day trip, it's OK
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yuenpo
I would say if you are flying same day/1 to 2 day trip, it's OK
Why does it matter how long the trip is?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that AS is hoping that it means the end of all empty seats
I saw this happen when UA launched basic economy.

Before BE, on many routes picking an E+ aisle or window would almost always lead to an empty middle seat next to you. After BE was introduced, despite all of my flights being in E+, I don't think I had a single flight where the middle seat was empty -- and in most cases, it seemed like the person sitting next to me was someone in BE who got assigned to an E+ middle at the gate or at check-in.

One of the many reasons I started flying AS more than UA -- we'll see if a similar story unfolds on AS.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year (before saver) I flew almost exclusively in premium (except for the few times I got upgraded to F) and I don't think I ever had an empty seat beside me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.