FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I just helped a family member and companion buy Saver Fares to Hawaii. The family member has the Alaska Visa and we used the companion ticket for a mostly free second ticket. With the Visa card, they each get a free bag. As non-elites with firm travel plans, the Saver Fare restrictions cost them almost nothing. Three rows of windows and aisles were available near the back. Main Fare seats were no better, merely closer to the front. Priority boarding isn't a big deal on a leisure flight, where overhead bins are less likely to be full.

I have Gold Guest upgrades which they can't use now, but there's no way even one of those, let alone two, will become available on Hawaii flights to non-elites once they are gone. I bought the tickets with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card in order to have Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption protection.

Saver Fares are a large step down from Main for top elites, but only a small step down for non-elites.