Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Here's an article on SF Gate regarding the BE details.
Not sure how much is different than stated before, but thought it would be a good review article:

https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginni...s-13329704.php

Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
AS' use of Saver for both BE and for lowest award flights got me to wondering. I'm kind of surprised that none of the airlines have implemented BE award so far.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Read tomorrow's news today on FT.

Fare class X emerges on AS

(note the date of the post)

But good coverage for sure.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
So moving forward in 2019, we will have to pay a little more to feel elite. If graphic is authentic, at least in 2019, it seem mileage programs are still mileage based.

Jiburi
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Read tomorrow's news today on FT.

Fare class X emerges on AS

(note the date of the post)

But good coverage for sure.
Oops, should have realized it would come out on the x speculation thread. Mods, might be time to close this thread up and redirect to the other one?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Oops, should have realized it would come out on the x speculation thread. Mods, might be time to close this thread up and redirect to the other one?
What, you're not constantly refreshing FT?

(My comment is more about FT scooping the journos. Again. Rather than critiquing posts...)

Maybe merge them? Wikify them once merged?

(I am not sure "fare code X" is a good way to say "Saver Fare" to anyone who isn't really into the details of this...)
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:05 pm

What, you're not constantly refreshing FT?
Does it make me an addict, if I would say normally yes I am constantly checking? (That said, it's been hectic at work lately, so not as often right now)

Maybe merge them? Wikify them once merged?
Good idea!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Duly merged. I'll leave it to you guys to handle the wiki.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines forum
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by rustykettel
AS' use of Saver for both BE and for lowest award flights got me to wondering. I'm kind of surprised that none of the airlines have implemented BE award so far.
I’m not sure what the point would be. The idea behind BE is to match ULCC fares and capture price-sensitive customers, without having to give everyone a lower fare. It’s just better price discrimination. But why would AS (or anyone else) want better price discrimination with award tickets? It’s not like they’re dying for someone to redeem AS miles instead of DL miles. It could help them throw out a lower number in ads (“Awards start at only 4,000 miles!”), but they could already do that anyway and just severely limit the availability of those tickets.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missamo80
Yes.

This is exactly the point to these fares. They aren't lower fares. They are the same price fares with fewer benefits that make people like you and me pay more to avoid them.

Neil
B I N G O.
krabago likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milypan

I’m not sure what the point would be. The idea behind BE is to match ULCC fares and capture price-sensitive customers, without having to give everyone a lower fare. It’s just better price discrimination. But why would AS (or anyone else) want better price discrimination with award tickets? It’s not like they’re dying for someone to redeem AS miles instead of DL miles. It could help them throw out a lower number in ads (“Awards start at only 4,000 miles!”), but they could already do that anyway and just severely limit the availability of those tickets.
They could make W class correspond to basic economy and N class correspond to regular economy. It would be a price increase the same way it is with revenue fares.

Not that I think it would be a good idea, but it's possible.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan

AS already has 5k/7.5k/10k award types in Y to go along with 12.5k. Imagine if the < 12.5k (or worse, < 20k) Y awards all got treated as Saver...

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
They could make W class correspond to basic economy and N class correspond to regular economy. It would be a price increase the same way it is with revenue fares.

Not that I think it would be a good idea, but it's possible.
It's completely possible and a way to devalue the program.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
This is all quite clever of AS actually. This way, they can still say "We're a mileage based FF program, not revenue-based".

On the other carriers, you need to spend more money in order to qualify for status. That is NOT true on AS!

But you do have to pay more to ENJOY your status.

They just flipped the model on it's head...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:04 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Basic Economy starts selling November 7th. From the Q&A on the Q3 investor call:

We are going to do a – what we're calling a soft launch on November 7 where we will start selling Saver Fares in a small subset of markets (33:40) in December and we'll use those lessons learned throughout December to figure out if it makes sense to launch fully on January 1. And it probably won't be January 1, it'll be like the 10th, we'll get through the holiday returns or if we need to go at a little slower pace. But I will say, as is often the case, we go a little slower on these sorts of things, and the benefit of that is we've been able to learn from others that have gone before us and so, we should be able to get here quicker than others have had in the past.
As for what markets it'll start with:

Yeah. No, I think we won't – we'll disclose them once we've got sort of the final decision on where they're going to be. We'll have Matt follow up with you.
Neil
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:05 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
And this juicy bit on how Alaska is leaving money on the table by not having saver fares. Here's the question:

How are you thinking about the appetite for those fares in Hawaii? And is there – was one of the reasons why Hawaii might be soft right now is because of some of that basic version that's being deployed that you could see in filings of course by your competitors maybe ahead of your Saver Fare launch? Is that one of the issues, that you think maybe you're optimistic and I can get cleaned up pretty quickly once Saver Fares are in that market, if that makes any sense?
And here's the answer:

Yeah, I think it does, Hunter. I think what you're saying actually is system-wide for us. Our hands are a little bit tied behind our back because we don't offer Saver Fares. And so our competitors, one in four times they're getting an extra $25 to $35 more than we are. And that will be rectified going forward next year, and obviously we've seen that on Hawaii across all our major competitors.
Emphasis mine.

Neil
jinglish likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.