Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Perhaps even more annoying is when I run into flights that allow ONLY for saver to be purchased. Clearly an AS IT bug as there is significant space in F and Y on example flight. And yes, the site does offer to upgrade to main cabin when booking, and then errors out.

Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
I cheaped out on my 1 hour flight and am now in a middle seat. A couple posts back, people were saying that MVPs can sometimes get a premium seat.

Is it better to ask the check-in agent or the gate agent for a better seat?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I have a confession to make.

I booked a saver fare PSC-ANC for travel later in the month.

Will see how it turns out
spamman808 and PaperGlider like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa

The rash will not be covered by your employer's health plan, nor is there an OTC remedy.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA1K
i've done the saver fare twice from SNA-SEA for like $59 o/w. each time i waited until check-in and was given a window seat. if i'm doing a quick day trip for myself, the saver fare isn't bad.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:29 pm

I still have yet to figure out Alaska's login saver fares versus main cabin..

And yes, this ticketed.

ETA: meant Alaska’s logic, not login.

Last edited by jjmadison; Oct 19, 2019 at 10:08 am
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa

I booked a red eye OGG-SEA in December. I figure I slept the whole time on my last two red eyes, so I might as well save a few bucks. Hopefully it works out.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by jjmadison
I still have yet to figure out Alaska's login saver fares versus main cabin..

And yes, this ticketed.
In the past couple earnings calls, AS has talked about moving from segment pricing to O&D pricing. I wonder if that's the root cause here?

I tried to price this out on ITA Matrix. I can repro the $172 main cabin; for saver, I cannot repo the $305, and instead see $378 (!!).

Main cabin is a single $134 WAS-YYC fare plus taxes/fees. Saver is not a single fare, but rather the sum of 3 fares (WAS-SFO, SFO-SEA, SEA-YYC). I no doubt believe that saver is cheaper than main cabin on each segment, but the sum of 3 segments in saver is far more expensive than one O&D fare in main cabin.

Perhaps AS is beginning to experiment with O&D pricing, WAS-YYC is one of those markets, and their experiment only covers main cabin but not saver fares?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The rash will not be covered by your employer's health plan, nor is there an OTC remedy.
Miles posted ^ that's the highlight.

PSC-SEA ended up with a 2 HR delay; Misconnected in sea- saw this during the rolling delay so called AS and was protected on the 11:30 PM to ANC.

Went from 30C to 16B*

... so there was that; plus getting in hours later

*was the last seat on the a/c

Worked fine for the needs at hand.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by jhurwitz
In the past couple earnings calls, AS has talked about moving from segment pricing to O&D pricing. I wonder if that's the root cause here?

I tried to price this out on ITA Matrix. I can repro the $172 main cabin; for saver, I cannot repo the $305, and instead see $378 (!!).

Main cabin is a single $134 WAS-YYC fare plus taxes/fees. Saver is not a single fare, but rather the sum of 3 fares (WAS-SFO, SFO-SEA, SEA-YYC). I no doubt believe that saver is cheaper than main cabin on each segment, but the sum of 3 segments in saver is far more expensive than one O&D fare in main cabin.

Perhaps AS is beginning to experiment with O&D pricing, WAS-YYC is one of those markets, and their experiment only covers main cabin but not saver fares?
Interesting theory. As further support for your theory, I have seen United offering O&D prices to YYC (they would pop up when I used to search for hidden city fares to SFO).

Also useful to know about Matrix showing the saver fares as prices higher due pricing as three separate legs.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by eethan
I cheaped out on my 1 hour flight and am now in a middle seat. A couple posts back, people were saying that MVPs can sometimes get a premium seat.

Is it better to ask the check-in agent or the gate agent for a better seat?
When booking SAVER, do NOT select your seat, even if one is available. Wait until check-in at 24 hours before and (I have NOT yet tested this), but the entire seat map less PREMIUM ECONOMY opens up, including our beloved exit rows. The Elite/Y blocks get zapped, so they are fair game for anyone. You should be able to select it, unless Alaska disables seat selection during check-in for SAVER.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
You should be able to select it, unless Alaska disables seat selection during check-in for SAVER.
Wait, are travelers on saver fares able to select a seat during check in? My experience has been that a seat is assigned and it cannot be changed.

Another saver question: When booking an Alaska Saver fare through a third party (Chase UR) is there any way to select available Saver seats at the back of the plane? Chase won't let me pick one and once it's ticketed Alaska won't let me make any seat selections or changes. Am I missing something?
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by PDXpress
Another saver question: When booking an Alaska Saver fare through a third party (Chase UR) is there any way to select available Saver seats at the back of the plane? Chase won't let me pick one and once it's ticketed Alaska won't let me make any seat selections or changes. Am I missing something?
I've done it by calling in immediately after booking through the 3rd party. No seat was assigned at booking and the phone agent allowed me to choose our seats from all the available saver seats in the back, as if I was booking saver directly on Alaska.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am looking at a flight ex-SEA (SEA-JFK) in a week (from today) with no only middle seats left to choose from (including premium and exit row seats). No harm in booking saver?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Wait, are travelers on saver fares able to select a seat during check in? My experience has been that a seat is assigned and it cannot be changed.

For Unassigned saver reservations, seats are preassigned 25 hours prior to departure and not allowed to further change at check in.
CO-PLAT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.