Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoLaGent
How are Saver fares different?

Saver fares do include some restrictions on booking, refunds, changes, and seat selection.

These restrictions include:
  • Limited seating may be available at the time of purchase. Most seats will be assigned at check-in.
  • We can’t guarantee that parties of two or more will be seated together.
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing.
  • No changes, including same-day confirmed changes, are allowed for Saver fares.
  • No standby is allowed for Saver fares, even for elite status guests.
  • If a guest is a no-show for any flight during a trip, all other flights within that trip are automatically canceled, with no refund available.
  • Saver fares cannot be combined with any other fare types on the same itinerary.
  • Saver fares are non-transferable.

Elite status benefits you do get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Priority check-in
* Priority boarding group
* Baggage fee waiver
* Express security line at select airports (for MVPG+)
* Refreshments (alcoholic drink or chocolate for MVPG+)
* Complimentary inflight entertainment player - available on coast-to-coast and Hawaii flights (for MVPG75k, while they last)
* Bonus miles (by elite level)

Elite status benefits you don't get when you buy a Saver Fare:
* Access to preferred seating (certain seats behind Premium Class or in the exit rows)
* First Class upgrades, when available
* Premium Class upgrades, when available
* Waived change fees for MVPG+
* Complimentary same-day standby/flight changes for MVPG+

Full info here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver
Print Wikipost

Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Bought a one-way saver fare for my son but he won't be able to use it due to changes in his schedule.

What is the collective FT wisdom on cancelling/no-showing/doing nothing for these saver tix?

David
No-showing is fine. If you prefer to cancel, wait until the very last minute.

Either way, keep an eye on that flight. If there is a flight cancellation or even a significant schedule change (I don't remember the minimum amount of time the schedule has to move for it to be significant) you will be due a refund, only if you have not cancelled. It may be worthwhile to check him in (online of course) in case there is a last minute delay. Once boarding starts you can cancel.
Ted S and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
If he has Covid, it would be a good time to call to inform CS and they would give credit for future use. This is also another reason why I don't buy saver unless I am positive that there will be no change to schedule.
While agents can/occasionally do provide policy exceptions for saver fares and allow a wallet credit, there is no official policy / standing rule that a positive COVID diagnosis would suddenly allow the flights to be excepted from saver fare policy. With the peace of mind waiver long gone, if you want any guarantee that you'll have any sort of flexibility to retain the value of flights, saver fares are not the way to go..
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No-showing is fine. If you prefer to cancel, wait until the very last minute.

Either way, keep an eye on that flight. If there is a flight cancellation or even a significant schedule change (I don't remember the minimum amount of time the schedule has to move for it to be significant) you will be due a refund, only if you have not cancelled. It may be worthwhile to check him in (online of course) in case there is a last minute delay. Once boarding starts you can cancel.
To add, any changes over 60 minutes (1 hour) is enough to have the ticket refunded to original payment method.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by anhuang19
To add, any changes over 60 minutes (1 hour) is enough to have the ticket refunded to original payment method.
If one or more of the flights is delayed (not rescheduled) by a specific amount of time (30 mins, 60 mins, etc.), is there any option for refund/reschedule with BE?

David
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:12 pm

If one or more of the flights is delayed (not rescheduled) by a specific amount of time (30 mins, 60 mins, etc.), is there any option for refund/reschedule with BE?

David
Hi David,

I don't have much experience or knowledge on this aspect, especially as the ticket would've gone to gate control by the time you find out if there is any delays. It certainly doesn't hurt to reach out to customer care to see if there is any service recovery points/discount they can offer.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anhuang19
Hi David,

I don't have much experience or knowledge on this aspect, especially as the ticket would've gone to gate control by the time you find out if there is any delays. It certainly doesn't hurt to reach out to customer care to see if there is any service recovery points/discount they can offer.
Thanks for responding.

I ended up doing the check in for my son's flight and then tried to cancel - which, at that point, the app barfed and said I needed to call AS reservations. Rather than deal with that, AS got seats on two flights to do as they wished and the BE/X ticket died.

David
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

David
Any delay of 60 minutes or more is considered by AS to be a "Schedule Irregularity" and is eligible for a refund just as "Schedule Changes" with a 60 minute or more change are eligible. These are defined in the AS Contract of Carriage on website.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
Any delay of 60 minutes or more is considered by AS to be a "Schedule Irregularity" and is eligible for a refund just as "Schedule Changes" with a 60 minute or more change are eligible. These are defined in the AS Contract of Carriage on website.
Ah. Thanks!

David
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Never seen this before. AS149 on 2/9 shows most (but not all) main cabin seats as being eligible for saver fare seat selection.
And another interesting seat map: many SFO-JFK transcon flights operated by the A321 are allowing 26DEF (an exit row with far more pitch than even premium class) for saver seat selection.

Last edited by jhurwitz; Jun 23, 2022 at 10:30 pm Reason: resized image to not be so huge
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:02 am

^Looks like going forward it will be the opposite of the above. I thought it was just the glitch/issue on a flight I was looking to book for a family member, but upon paying closer attention it seems AS removed being able to select your seat at all on all saver fares. That sucks.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nav:saver-fare

Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:21 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
^Looks like going forward it will be the opposite of the above. I thought it was just the glitch/issue on a flight I was looking to book for a family member, but upon paying closer attention it seems AS removed being able to select your seat at all on all saver fares. That sucks.
Ouch. This is a partial offset to relaxed change restrictions for the originally non-changeable Saver fares.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Ouch. This is a partial offset to relaxed change restrictions for the originally non-changeable Saver Main Cabin fares.
Saver fares are still non-changeable. Agreed Main Cabin fare benefits got boosted over the pandemic (for a price/tax) in that they’re (for now) changeable, but BE/X fares getting a silent devaluation to get in line with the rest of the industry still sucks even if it is somewhat understandable as I know people in my family/work who have concrete travel plans typically and they benefited from the peace of mind in knowing they’re slated to be seated together with family/friends and/or have their preferred isle/window seats on their flights.
nsx likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Based on the Internet Archive - that seat assignment change is at least from March 31.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw
Based on the Internet Archive - that seat assignment change is at least from March 31.
It has to be pretty recent as on 6/23 I booked one sister a flight and selected her seat on a X/Saver fare. See Below

I poked around on the AS site/blog/newsfeed and here on FT prior to my initial reply, but I didn’t see any mention/announcement of the change either which is pretty annoying/worrying as silent devaluations are unsettling.

*Edit*
Per this article below it looks like the change was done on the low by AS on 7/6.

https://thriftytraveler.com/news/air...eat-selection/
williwaw likes this.

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Jul 13, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Old Jun 18, 2023, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Ouch. This is a partial offset to relaxed change restrictions for the originally non-changeable Saver fares.
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
Saver fares are still non-changeable
Wait, saver fares are now changeable?

Update: the other thread about saver fares showed:
  • No refunds are allowed beyond the first 24 hours after ticketing. For flights booked on or after May 22, 2023, departing on or after July 19, 2023, a credit for 50% of the ticket value can be issued for flights cancelled at least 14 days to departure of the first flight on the ticket.

Last edited by s0ssos; Jun 18, 2023 at 11:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.