Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
AS 765 BWI - PDX

Flight attendant came around with orange juice and took orders for mimosas. She let us know that she doesn’t pre-pour the mimosasa because she wants a headcount before she opens the bottle of sparking wine. I thought that was a reasonable strategy
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
AS449 JFK-PDX Boarding 6:50 am

Water bottles and blankets at seat. FA actively offering and serving choice of water, orange juice or sparkling wine while Main was boarding. Hilarious Captain too.

Light load, 3 empty F seats.

James
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AS350 SEA-IAH
1/26/2019

Our flight attendant just told us that she has a great idea and thinks we should all have a Mimosa^^
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:39 am

AS 1141 PHL-SFO 1/26/19

Water bottles at seats, no other PDB offered. Clearly, with 40 minutes to board the plane and a total of 5 occupants in F and maybe 1/2 full at most in the back, taking beverage orders would have interfered with departing on-time...
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
AS 1141 PHL-SFO 1/26/19

Water bottles at seats, no other PDB offered. Clearly, with 40 minutes to board the plane and a total of 5 occupants in F and maybe 1/2 full at most in the back, taking beverage orders would have interfered with departing on-time...
@:-) Looks like you've been properly trained!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
AS 1141 PHL-SFO 1/26/19

Noticed that lack of PDB seems to happen a lot with pmVX crew associated with SFO. Wonder what training those crew members are receiving,( roll eyes.)
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
Noticed that lack of PDB seems to happen a lot with pmVX crew associated with SFO. Wonder what training those crew members are receiving,( roll eyes.)
There is a big difference between receiving training and a willingness to implement.

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
once more, with feeling: policy isn’t what’s written or given as training, it’s what’s practiced
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
I'm sure they've received training. It appears that many are having tantrums because they had to change their uniforms and aren't feeling as stylish, notwithstanding a substantial raise, much better working conditions, and perhaps even a nice bonus announced yesterday.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm sure they've received training. It appears that many are having tantrums because they had to change their uniforms and aren't feeling as stylish, notwithstanding a substantial raise, much better working conditions, and perhaps even a nice bonus announced yesterday.
This seems pretty unlikely.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This seems pretty unlikely.
Plenty have quit for those very reasons. More pay and better working conditions weren't as important as being all stylish and hip.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Plenty have quit for those very reasons. More pay and better working conditions weren't as important as being all stylish and hip.
Full employment does funny things....
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
This is what I'm realizing is a contributing factor. Many of the veteran pmVX crews have left and new hires have replaced them. The Airbus and Boeing crews are still, as of this date, kept separate and not yet allowed to merge or swap flights. As of December, all FAs have been trained on both types of aircraft, so perhaps soon they will be allowed to intermix, but no word on when that will be. This means 100% of the replacements for departed VX crews are newly trained hires.

Most of the flights I've had without any PDB are with FAs I didn't recognize. On two occasions since August, I learned from friendly convos with the FA that they were new, post-merger hires. That means their stance on zero PDB comes from their relatively recent Alaska training.

This past Friday, I had one of the veteran pmVX crews on LAX-SFO and they enthusiastically served full PDB (including mixed cocktails). This crew has been around for years and I recall flying with them last summer.

I think Eastbay1k is right that at least part of the problem is coming from the new hires that were trained in the last year. They never served full PDB in the past and now see it is a nuisance.

Last edited by jjmadison; Jan 27, 2019 at 10:22 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmadison
I think Eastbay1k is right that at least part of the problem is coming from the new hires that were trained in the last year. They never served full PDB in the past and now see it is a nuisance.
I think he is saying the exact opposite -- that it's from old employees who are unhappy with the regime change (at least, that's how I understood the post -- apologies if I misunderstood)

What you are saying seems much more likely -- that these are new FAs who don't know how to do their jobs.

Any former VX FA should be more than used to serving PDBs, since in the VX days it was always a full open bar before takeoff in F. If you drank fast enough they would bring you two.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think he is saying the exact opposite -- that it's from old employees who are unhappy with the regime change (at least, that's how I understood the post -- apologies if I misunderstood)

What you are saying seems much more likely -- that these are new FAs who don't know how to do their jobs.

Any former VX FA should be more than used to serving PDBs, since in the VX days it was always a full open bar before takeoff in F. If you drank fast enough they would bring you two.
You're all right. Kumbaya.
Some old employees who remain, remain bitter. (Others are not bitter, and know they've got a good thing going).
Compound this with those who departed because of "regime change", and you've got new hires.
Compound this with new hires (that otherwise may be eager) being guided by bitter remnants, and you've got a recipe for the heights of excellent service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.