Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:17 pm

Water bottles, followed by OJ or coffee on AS 1202 SFO-ORD on 1-20. Pre-ordered meal delivered and pretty much prefect service on this flight.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Then please report them. It is either policy or it is not.
Originally Posted by NWAlaskaFlyer
I have but honestly tired of complaining about it. I am not certain when this became policy but I imagine I have had around 6-10 qualifying flights since I have been reading this thread and zero offers.
It would also inspire some confidence about them actually taking reports seriously if they ever bothered to fix looking up your flight via confirmation number on Alaska Listens. It's been, what, over a year now? Given everything else they've been doing lately, not fixing that seems like a real margins move to avoid being on the hook for sending out some $25-$75 flight vouchers for the handful who care enough to bother submitting feedback.

Originally Posted by StephanP37
On virgin I’d get the pre flight drink every single time. I never once had them offer and actually was told they could not do that on any Alaska flight until the last few months. We’ve had them offer wine twice and any drink of choosing once. To me the drink you need the most is pre flight. That is maybe the only part of flying I get irritated with, sitting for 30-40 min can’t use your laptop can’t stand up - a drink makes it such a dramatically better experience and start to the journey!
I had some upgrades in summer/fall 2018 that did not got a PDB. Both Airbus and Boeing. More recently (12/25/18 and 1/1/19 on Boeing and Airbus, respectively) I did get PDBs. On the Christmas one I didn't get offered anything with alcohol in it but it was an 8:30 AM departure so apparently orange juice and coffee WAS in fact the right selection of PDB offers for such an early flight.

And yeah, considering how long you're on the plane if you actually board when they call first class boarding, it would be more than just a nice gesture to actually offer the PDB.

Anyhow VX was all about "we bet people are willing to pay small premium for a better experience" so not exactly shocking that they were way more consistent with PDBs.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Today was my third AS transcon for 2019 in paid F. No PDB, not even water at the seat. That’s 3 for 3 with no water (or any PDB) this year. After the last two experiences of thirst in First, I brought my own water bottle this time.

During boarding, the FAs happily chatted among themselves in the galley.

Once airborne, I politely asked the FA if the PDB policy had changed. He said yes, Alaska prohibits PDBs now. I asked if that included the bottled water at seats and he said “yes, budget cuts, sorry”. He did say if F passengers want water, they can request a cup AFTER boarding is complete and the FA will “do their best, if they have time”.

NoLaGent, I know you and others have been reliability reporting no PDB experiences to AS Listens, which I applaud. I’ve done this myself multiple times. I don’t think it has any impact, sadly.

In my experience (flying primarily SFO-IAD and SFO-JFK), Alaska F seems to have gone from PDB to BYOW. Up until August last year, PDB was 100% of the time. It’s been steadily decreasing in occurrence since then.

All in all, not what I would consider First Class service, but hey, the free cancellations for Gold+ are still keeping me on Alaska, for now.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jjmadison
In my experience (flying primarily SFO-IAD and SFO-JFK), Alaska F seems to have gone from PDB to BYOW. Up until August last year, PDB was 100% of the time. It’s been steadily decreasing in occurrence since then.
The pmVX crews, main departing from SFO, seem to be the worst about the new policy and confused that eliminating open bar PDBs means nothing at all.

Pre August was VX's original policy. Not surprising that it was 100% then. The problem is the training given to the FAs and the lack of follow up and follow through on the current PDB policy.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:36 pm

Today was my third AS transcon for 2019 in paid F. No PDB, not even water at the seat. That’s 3 for 3 with no water (or any PDB) this year. After the last two experiences of thirst in First, I brought my own water bottle this time.

Once airborne, I politely asked the FA if the PDB policy had changed. He said yes, Alaska prohibits PDBs now. I asked if that included the bottled water at seats and he said “yes, budget cuts, sorry”. He did say if F passengers want water, they can request a cup AFTER boarding is complete and the FA will “do their best, if they have time”.
I'm sorry, but this is SO unacceptable. Just nothing about it is okay. Please write it up and ask for correspondence from the VP of Inflight in your write up. Send an email to Brad Tilden if you need to. This kind of behavior needs to be addressed. This Flight Attendant didn't do their job and blatantly lied about the water bottles, making the company look ridiculous. Nothing about it is okay and it needs to be addressed. This is less an issue of PDB's and more an issue of a lazy Flight Attendant lying to customers to avoid doing their job - casting a negative light on the company in the process.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NoLaGent, I know you and others have been reliability reporting no PDB experiences to AS Listens, which I applaud. I’ve done this myself multiple times. I don’t think it has any impact, sadly.

All in all, not what I would consider First Class service, but hey, the free cancellations for Gold+ are still keeping me on Alaska, for now.
If a FA ever misstates the policy to me again when I ask, I'm just going to show them the email I got from customer service, and if they still refuse the PDB, let them know that I'll be emailing again and ask for the FA's name.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:14 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
AS 633 PHX-SEA. Champagne offered. After not getting a PDB on my past 6-8 flights or so, obviously this was the time I opted to spend extra time at the bar and board late time, thus missing out. Some consistency would be nice to have ...
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If a FA ever misstates the policy to me again when I ask, I'm just going to show them the email I got from customer service, and if they still refuse the PDB, let them know that I'll be emailing again and ask for the FA's name.
I plan on doing the same . Already made copy of Policy response posted here. So far, have not had issues with lack of PDB.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If it is an Airbus flight, you may very well have to.

James
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
1/21 on a rather delayed AS20 ORD-SEA full PDB offered. At least that’s what it looked like from 8C with a couple of cups of red wine on the tray. First time in a long while I’ve seen that and figures that I’d switched to that flight and lost my upgrade.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
Got offered sparkling wine the other day on my flight from SAN to Sacramento definitely getting more common!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Four Skywest flights in the past two weeks, SNA-SJC/SFO. Two flights had full PDB from excellent FAs, one of those offered sparkling wine but also took drink requests. Other two had just the water bottle.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
AS(QX)2263 SEA-PDX: water bottles at seats (sort of; one on each C/D armrest, none visible on the A armrests)

to his credit, FA came around during boarding to offer water bottles to all, and before pushback to take orders for inflight beverages
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand why this is so hard to standardize.

A lot of what flight attendants do is follow pre-set procedures. If they can do the pre-takeoff seatback and tray table check on every flight, and they can do the safety demonstration on every flight, they can serve a PDB in F on every flight. It can just be part of the list of things to do.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
AS440 PDX-LAX: water bottles at seats; during a lull in boarding (~T-25) I asked FA if there was any chance we could get a sparkling wine, she said she would check with the other FA when catering finished up ... the second FA came around to ask about beverages ~T-18 but nothing appeared before door closure (T-10)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.