Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Just for the record, nothing creates disappointment more than inconsistency. Sure, most would probably just rather have a full bar offering for PDB - and I don't disagree that we should just do that - but if everyone was just on the same page it would probably create a better experience for everyone. If I work in FC (which I don't often do) I just do what's asked of me. That said, if I'm offering sparkling wine or OJ and you ask for something else I will generally just get it for you without thinking twice. It's far less work - but it does set the next person up for failure if they just do what they're supposed to and don't grant your request. SO, I'm probably guilty of adding to the inconsistency. I don't start out offering a full bar though - I just offer what I'm supposed to.
Thank you for your input, and more importantly, for your service. In all frankness, you're what the service standard should aspire to!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Unicorn landed on tonight's PDX-JFO. PDB offered as OJ or “champagne” on a tray halfway through main cabin boarding.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:44 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Unicorn landed on tonight's PDX-JFO. PDB offered as OJ or “champagne” on a tray halfway through main cabin boarding.
I got the same offering ABQ-SAN today. ^
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Dec 11th, DTW - SEA. Water on armrest at boarding. No other PDB offered. Cabin service in flight was impeccable and I very rarely say that. Incredibly friendly FA in FC, status recognition offered, walked the aisle throughout the flight offering refills and making sure everyone was well taken care of. IMO this flight could have been used as a training video. Feedback posted on Alaska Listens as well.

I am beginning to believe the inconsistency is simply training failure. This FA was clearly service plus so I don't believe she forgot and she was not socializing during boarding.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Dec 15th, IAD-SFO
Water on armrest at boarding. No other PDB offered. The FA did offer gate agents and the flight crew drinks. One passenger in F who knew the FA also received a cocktail, but no one else in F was offered a drink.

Once airborne no hot towels were offered. Otherwise, in-air service was excellent.

I've heard from an FA friend that everyone is going through new training so that they can crew both Boeing and Airbus planes. Hopefully the PDB service gets more reliable as a result.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Dec 15th, IAD-SFO
Water on armrest at boarding. No other PDB offered. The FA did offer gate agents and the flight crew drinks. One passenger in F who knew the FA also received a cocktail, but no one else in F was offered a drink.

Once airborne no hot towels were offered. Otherwise, in-air service was excellent.

I've heard from an FA friend that everyone is going through new training so that they can crew both Boeing and Airbus planes. Hopefully the PDB service gets more reliable as a result.
I would report this to AS. The training has been completed according to an earlier post. Plus, giving PDB to crew and buddies is plain insulting.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
SEA-BUR on Sat evening, no PDB except water bottles at seat. Two FAs chatting in galley throughout boarding, too busy to take coats, greet passengers or anything. Continued chatting in jump seats through takeoff, climb, etc. After about an hour beyond departure, they finally broke up the convo to take drink/meal (all cold option) orders, and finally greet passengers for the first time. Skipped hot towels, did a light clean-up of the cabin before getting settled in their seats to get back to chatting until landing. Service was fine and friendly once it started, but definitely had me a little miffed. There was some turbulence at takeoff that probably had them seated longer than normal, but certainly AS' best showing.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Dec 15th, IAD-SFO

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
SEA-BUR on Sat evening, no PDB except water bottles at seat. Two FAs chatting in galley throughout boarding, too busy to take coats, greet passengers or anything. Continued chatting in jump seats through takeoff, climb, etc. After about an hour beyond departure, they finally broke up the convo to take drink/meal (all cold option) orders, and finally greet passengers for the first time. Skipped hot towels, did a light clean-up of the cabin before getting settled in their seats to get back to chatting until landing. Service was fine and friendly once it started, but definitely had me a little miffed. There was some turbulence at takeoff that probably had them seated longer than normal, but certainly AS' best showing.
Write 'em up. It's the only way to get inflight crews to adhere to any semblance of actual policy.

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:12 pm

AS1809 SFO-PDX. Water at seats. FA talking to boarding pax and First pax that while VX did full PDB, AS doesn’t want this because it slows boarding, water only.

Last edited by rustykettel; Dec 18, 2018 at 5:26 pm Reason: brain dead
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
VX1809 SFO-PDX. Water at seats. FA talking to boarding pax and First pax that while VX did full PDB, AS doesn’t want this because it slows boarding, water only.
Slows THE LONGEST boarding process in the industry (45 minutes+). Gimme a break.
jjmadison, NoLaGent and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
VX1809 SFO-PDX. Water at seats. FA talking to boarding pax and First pax that while VX did full PDB, AS doesn’t want this because it slows boarding, water only.
c’mon, rusty, you of all people shouldn’t make that faux pas

seriously, though, that’s a pathetic excuse
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

c’mon, rusty, you of all people shouldn’t make that faux pas

seriously, though, that’s a pathetic excuse
wow. I’m going to have to start paying you an editor’s commission.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
No PDB offered on AS 40 ADQ-ANC last night. Water at the seats. Snack basket offered prior to takeoff due to the short, 40 minute flight time. Service in the air was impeccable. The FA never sat down once we were up until everyone was told to sit down.^^

Also, this was my first flight on a refurbed 737-700. Very clean, modern fit and finish. I like it.!!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No PDB on AS 1932 SFO-LAX.

FA spent the majority of boarding chatting with a non-rev in the galley.

Then some time gate checking bags.

Then she stared out the window for a good five minutes until the jet bridge was retracted, during which point another FA came to the front to chat with the non-rev.

I appreciate there was a delay, but there was also plenty of time to handle this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
12/27 AS 206 SEA-PVR Sham Payne or OJ were offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.