Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I will report back as to whether or not Mrs767 and I get offered a glass (well, more accurately, a plastic cup) of Amateur Secco on either of our flights this evening
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
So is all the F class "sparkling wine" from a can then? I had it a few weeks back on EWR-SEA and while it wasn't great (too sweet for my liking), it wasn't the worst I've had either. Then again, I'm forever ruined by EK F.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS
We had carbonated wine from a can on our flight. Was somewhat surprised when FA brought can to fill my glass.

This is what we had on our Flight in F on AS last week.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
That's what they were serving this past weekend as the PDB.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 24, 2019 at 7:37 pm Reason: Redact quoted image for readability.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
well... at least they aren’t pretending it’s Champagne.

Im in a SF to IAD flight today and no PDB whatsoever. F lead is friendly; says she came from the Alaska side.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 24, 2019 at 7:37 pm Reason: Redact quoted image for readability.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison

well... at least they aren’t pretending it’s Champagne.

Im in a SF to IAD flight today and no PDB whatsoever. F lead is friendly; says she came from the Alaska side.
Did you inquire about a PDB? We might as well start asking and report back what we hear.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Did you inquire about a PDB? We might as well start asking and report back what we hear.
Good call... I was planning to when they came around, but they never did before take-off. The FAs were hanging out amongst themselves in the galley and didn't introduce themselves, so would have required me to get out of 2A and go interrupt them.

The last FA I spoke to about this said that at training, they made it clear that offering any beverages before takeoff was entirely "at their discretion". I don't think this will get any better until they are re-trained. If I was an FA and was told "at their discretion", I wouldn't go out of my way to do it either.

Speaking from my experience with large corps and government, I think the only way this improves is if someone with a C-suite contact at Alaska lets them know personally. We've all sent in multiple complaints to Alaska listens and clearly, they aren't listening.

Last edited by jjmadison; Apr 24, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
AS436, SEA-SAN ... I’ll cut the FAs a partial break on this one because catering didn’t close the door until ~T-15; one of the FAs delivered the Dasani bottles shortly thereafter, but she immediately reverted to standing by the open flight deck door and greeting the coach passengers
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by jjmadison
The last FA I spoke to about this said that at training, they made it clear that offering any beverages before takeoff was entirely "at their discretion". I don't think this will get any better until they are re-trained. If I was an FA and was told "at their discretion", I wouldn't go out of my way to do it either..
They were not being truthful. If catered on time, and during a normal boarding process, FA's are required to do the pre-departure beverage service. Many just don't care.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS378 SAN-BWI — other than the Dasani bottles at **some** seats, nada
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
was on SFO-PHL redeye, nothing but the water. So I wrote, and they replied:

Our primary pre-departure beverage is bottled water. Additionally, on most morning flights we should be offering coffee and orange juice and on most flights after 10am we should be offering orange juice and sparkling wine. There are operational issues and space limitations onboard that can sometimes interrupt or otherwise limit this service, however, so unfortunately there will sometimes be flights that a pre-departure drink is not offered. We certainly apologize for any inconvenience and/or disappointment this has caused and I would like to assure you that your concerns will be shared with our Food and Beverage Manager for additional review.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by lonelygod
was on SFO-PHL redeye, nothing but the water. So I wrote, and they replied:

Our primary pre-departure beverage is bottled water. Additionally, on most morning flights we should be offering coffee and orange juice and on most flights after 10am we should be offering orange juice and sparkling wine. There are operational issues and space limitations onboard that can sometimes interrupt or otherwise limit this service, however, so unfortunately there will sometimes be flights that a pre-departure drink is not offered. We certainly apologize for any inconvenience and/or disappointment this has caused and I would like to assure you that your concerns will be shared with our Food and Beverage Manager for additional review.
What a bunch of corporate speak when fewer words would convey the mushy message.

It can be reduced to 5 words.

Last edited by PaperGlider; Apr 25, 2019 at 6:46 pm Reason: added line 2
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
What a bunch of corporate speak when fewer words would convey the mushy message.

It can be reduced to 5 words.
"For PDB, fly another airline"?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
"For PDB, fly another airline"?
Apparently not AA: Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, not that other airline. Don't fly spirit or frontier either. But now we are getting past 5 words.

How about...

"Fly DL, UA, or JetBlue"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.