Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
For my 2 flights this week, an offer of water.

I did hear a passenger in First gripe about not getting "champagne". Although nothing besides water was served before take off, I liked how the flight attendant did ask for beverage orders before takeoff.

The pre departure beverage service is regularly absent. It is so regular that I now never expect a pre departure beverage other than water. So, I need to bring my own coffee on board. The absence of a pre departure beverage is so regular, that I conclude it is not part of the policy or management does not really intend to make that policy happen.

As far as reporting pre-departure beverages, wouldn't it be easier to just report the exceptions: if more than water is offered before departure?
philemer, jjmadison and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I did hear a passenger in First gripe about not getting "champagne".
I always smile when I overhear someone ask for champagne on a domestic flight
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

As far as reporting pre-departure beverages, wouldn't it be easier to just report the exceptions: if more than water is offered before departure?
It may be easier, but it would be better to report "I only received water and wrote it up."
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I always smile when I overhear someone ask for champagne on a domestic flight
So you must laugh when someone asks for a Kleenex and is handed a piece of Generic Nose Sandpaper. Or when someone asks for a Q-Tip and gets a Cushioned Earbleed Stick.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It may be easier, but it would be better to report "I only received water and wrote it up."
EB1K, I like your optimism. How do you write it up? By using Alaska Listens giving few stars and commenting "only water offered before flight" ?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:49 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
4/12 AS 2827 SFO-PAE (operated by Horizon)

Water at seat, PLUS offer of OJ or sparking wine.

Sadly I’d drank too much the past 4 nights to be interested...
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EB1K, I like your optimism. How do you write it up? By using Alaska Listens giving few stars and commenting "only water offered before flight" ?
I would send short y sweet email to customer care. Such as "On the following flights (AS 123 1 March, AS 234 2 March, AS 345 3 March), the crew did not serve a pre-departure beverage, contrary to policy. I was on board 25 minutes prior to departure, and it appeared that the galley had already been catered."

Or something similar. Add a few simple facts as necessary to thwart the "crew didn't have enough time, "flight was late catered," etc. excuses. A case number should be opened for each report submitted.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would send short y sweet email to customer care. Such as "On the following flights (AS 123 1 March, AS 234 2 March, AS 345 3 March), the crew did not serve a pre-departure beverage, contrary to policy. I was on board 25 minutes prior to departure, and it appeared that the galley had already been catered."

Or something similar. Add a few simple facts as necessary to thwart the "crew didn't have enough time, "flight was late catered," etc. excuses. A case number should be opened for each report submitted.
This is too much work and it doesn't accomplish anything. It's AS' job to monitor the performance of their employees, not the customer's.

My adivce: if paying for a premium cabin, do it on an airline that is interested in providing a premium cabin experience.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is too much work and it doesn't accomplish anything. It's AS' job to monitor the performance of their employees, not the customer's.

My adivce: if paying for a premium cabin, do it on an airline that is interested in providing a premium cabin experience.
Such as?
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by hbtr

Such as?
Delta... (Unless there is forecasted turbulence)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Delta... (Unless there is forecasted turbulence)
Just some light chop.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

Eastbay is right, it's the only way Inflight Management can address the issue.

And sending an email to customer care takes all of 2-3 minutes. The last one netted me a $100 credit for no PDB on a P fare from LAX-SFO, although that one also included a FA lying to me about the policy, which I also mentioned in the email.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Eastbay is right, it's the only way Inflight Management can address the issue.
This has been going on for a long time, with many complaints sent. If they haven't taken care of it yet, I don't like your chances.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has been going on for a long time, with many complaints sent. If they haven't taken care of it yet, I don't like your chances.
Writing up a service failure isn't a matter of chances. It is a matter of reporting a service failure.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EB1K, I like your optimism.
Oh, by the way, I'm not optimistic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.