Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by meej
Noting FAs who are doing a great job is just as important as identifying those who are just doing the bare minimum. I think the key is to make it known that the level of service (and PDB) is an important part of First Class.
Yes! I made a note of the names of the two FAs who offered them on my last flights and included this in my remarks to Alaska listens.
meej likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
Interesting DP.
Sent AS Customer Care input regarding lack of PDB on our last two flights. We traveled on separate PNR's on those flights in paid F. Used format suggested up thread and submitted one for each passenger, with identical wording.
One response was the cookie cutter response, "sorry, will pass on information to Food and Beverage Manager etc". This was for wife PNR's.
Next response was very personal. Starting with " thank you for being MVP , we value your loyalty. Included is a $50 discount code and our apologies".
This was for husband.
Now, this has happened many times before.
Once, accepted Discount Code offered by GA to each of us .
Emails received from AS and...
Husband received the promised $125 and wife received $50. (Called AS MVP line and they quickly corrected wife account as they were able to see GA message)

Usually, One of us gets basic, "too bad, so sad ". The other gets all kinds of "we are so sorry, please use this discount to give us another chance ".
Not sure it is sexist but, husband always gets response indicating their interest in maintaining his loyalty. Wife, not really.
Are both husband and wife same status level?

It's not unusual (IMO it's ridiculous, but not unusual) for airlines to offer different compensation levels to people with different levels of elite status.

Also, are complaints / requests for compensation at about the same frequency for both? It's also not unusual for airlines to have some sort of a customer valuation score based on these things, and offer compensation accordingly (someone who rarely complains about things will get more than someone who complains frequently). Also, do both spend about the same? Someone frequently buying high-priced fares might get better treatment then someone who buys a bunch of R and T fares (like I do!)
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS
We travel together and are both MVP with AS, and have been for 10 years.
Our miles and mileage activity are identical. We usually purchase discounted F, (used to be P fare, now appears as I fare).
Separate PNR’s are a habit from when we traveled in Y. Upgrades were easier for one. Decided to travel in F when we got tired of trying for upgrades that were becoming almost non existent 2 years ago.
When we have contacted AS on same PNR, response was the usual as others have reported.
When AS is contacted with two PNR’s, they are treated as two completely different situations.
This is where discrepancy has been noticed. Submissions were written with identical language only differing name and C.Code.
So, in the end, we will except their customer service gestures, regardless.
Just thought of one discrepancy , One is a member of Flyertalk, the other is not.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

So, in the end, we will except their customer service gestures, regardless.
Just thought of one discrepancy , One is a member of Flyertalk, the other is not.
That is odd. Are the forms of payment/payee different for both (meaning they're not crediting one party as the spending decision maker)? The only other thing I can think of is some sort of external customer scoring used in their CRM if the payments are separate. Pure speculation though.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
We travel together and are both MVP with AS, and have been for 10 years.
Our miles and mileage activity are identical. ...One is a member of Flyertalk, the other is not.
You suspect that Alaska Airlines gives Flyertalk members the short shrift?

And you were, unfortunately, also left to wonder if the discrepancy in responses could be rooted in one of you is a male and the other female.

I would try to presume innocence and first presume it is because of random inconsistencies in customer service,. Or it could be, as has been speculated, some other "rating" of customers that Alaska Airlines tracks.

Why not ask them to explain?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
You suspect that Alaska Airlines gives Flyertalk members the short shrift?

This is my question... is the FTer the one who gets more comp or less comp?

How many DPs are we talking about here? Different requests are going to be handled by different agents so I'm not surprised that the levels are different -- is there enough data to suggest a consistent bias? Or are we talking about 2-3 incidents, which could easily be coincidence?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS
We also prefer to look at this as random inconsistency.
When wife received standard, “ sorry, these things happen” response and husband received CS gesture with monetary amount attached, reply was sent to CS regarding discrepancy Response to wife’s submission. Reply from AS “ matter has been handled”.
So, there seems to be random responses to each experience. Tried to compare response as either from male or female agents. Last instance, female agent offered compensation and male agent offered nothing to wife submission.
But, when there has been promised compensation and the amounts do not match what has been promised, it has always been wife that got shorted. Just sayin’.

Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: A reminder that this thread is a discussion of PDBs. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Back on topic...

I was so pleased (almost shocked) to have been offered coffee or orange juice on a flight yesterday. Wow!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Alaska is quick to offer miles when they fall short of their baggage service guarantee. And also, the flight attendants announce the baggage service guarantee.

I think Alaska ought to add a PDB guarantee, and make the FAs announce it in the script
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I think Alaska ought to add a PDB guarantee, and make the FAs announce it in the script
Great idea! That has the added benefit of trolling the riff-raff in economy.
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I was on the SEA to MCI today, and FA brought out champagne to F pax during boarding, what a surprise!

She was even an ex-VX FA, and was chatting with PAX and telling us how AS FA dress codes were less stringent than VX, and how easier to work with. She sounded like happy with the transition from VX to AS.

For one flight, the AS F product just notched up a bit (from inferior to standard). Of course I won't complain with or without a PDB, because my F seat is an upgrade. I appreciate any free U seat.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:40 pm

I flew PHXSEA in F on Thursday, May 2nd and was offered coffee or orange juice before departure. ^
Old May 7, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
SEA-OGG April 29. POG mimosas offered prior to takeoff.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.