FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:11 pm
jjmadison

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Plenty have quit for those very reasons. More pay and better working conditions weren't as important as being all stylish and hip.
This is what I'm realizing is a contributing factor. Many of the veteran pmVX crews have left and new hires have replaced them. The Airbus and Boeing crews are still, as of this date, kept separate and not yet allowed to merge or swap flights. As of December, all FAs have been trained on both types of aircraft, so perhaps soon they will be allowed to intermix, but no word on when that will be. This means 100% of the replacements for departed VX crews are newly trained hires.

Most of the flights I've had without any PDB are with FAs I didn't recognize. On two occasions since August, I learned from friendly convos with the FA that they were new, post-merger hires. That means their stance on zero PDB comes from their relatively recent Alaska training.

This past Friday, I had one of the veteran pmVX crews on LAX-SFO and they enthusiastically served full PDB (including mixed cocktails). This crew has been around for years and I recall flying with them last summer.

I think Eastbay1k is right that at least part of the problem is coming from the new hires that were trained in the last year. They never served full PDB in the past and now see it is a nuisance.

Last edited by jjmadison; Jan 27, 2019 at 10:22 pm