Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Possibility of Lie-Flat Seats on Transcon Routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Possibility of Lie-Flat Seats on Transcon Routes?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
Do any other carriers run lie-flats in 737-7/8/9? If so what is their seat layout?

It’s hard to imagine that being economical for AS given that it would reduce the number of available FC seats, unless they encroached on MC space.

If AS could retrofit 737s to fill a premium route I could envision it being discussed but if they needed a wide body plane such as A330 then I would think not.
Copa on its 7M9 (737 Max9).

2-2 16 seats total.
ACBLtd and anteater like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
you're right of course. mostly, i was prodded on by the thought that i'm flying B6 to position in SEA for a slew of AS flights, even though AS offers a JFK-SEA nonstop. it seemed like a waste. the idea of a revenue first class ticket on a 6.5 hour flight being a similar hard product (in my mind) to Y in B6 just struck me as so absurd, especially considering that Mint on those same dates was $20 cheaper than AS in F! so i was compelled to ask out loud (and on here) -- who, aside from people who just need to credit their flights to AA or vie for status, would choose that hard product willingly over Mint?
A) I've flown B6 transcon in Y, and it's not comparable to AS in F.
B) If you were a regular AS flyer, you'd be MVP or higher and have probably paid less than $150 for a one way transcon that you knew got you a 50 to 95% chance of an upgrade to F, depending on whether you're MVP vs MVPG vs MVPG75K.
AS Flyer and OnlyTheoretical like this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
who, aside from people who just need to credit their flights to AA or vie for status, would choose that hard product willingly over Mint?
The people that are looking for free upgrades--which is why AS is just not going to go out of their way to invest in a new product. They are fairly risk averse as it is. They are very strong in SEA but from California they have very little pricing power on longer flights. The days of making tons of money to HI are also over given the rapid rise in competition. Other carriers have far more service to BOS/NYC/FLL/MIA, etc. I think given the choice between investing in a premium lie flat product and dropping most of these premium markets from California all together, they would drop them if they couldn't make money with their existing offering. In any event, it doesn't matter much. If you want something better, there are many other options. If the AS model works for others, they will go with that. No airline is going to be everything to everybody so it is good to have options.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Do any other carriers run lie-flats in 737-7/8/9? If so what is their seat layout?

It’s hard to imagine that being economical for AS given that it would reduce the number of available FC seats, unless they encroached on MC space.

If AS could retrofit 737s to fill a premium route I could envision it being discussed but if they needed a wide body plane such as A330 then I would think not.
UA had planned to roll out 737s with lie flats in 2-2 before COVID. I don't know what the status is now.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The people that are looking for free upgrades--which is why AS is just not going to go out of their way to invest in a new product. They are fairly risk averse as it is. They are very strong in SEA but from California they have very little pricing power on longer flights. The days of making tons of money to HI are also over given the rapid rise in competition. Other carriers have far more service to BOS/NYC/FLL/MIA, etc. I think given the choice between investing in a premium lie flat product and dropping most of these premium markets from California all together, they would drop them if they couldn't make money with their existing offering. In any event, it doesn't matter much. If you want something better, there are many other options. If the AS model works for others, they will go with that. No airline is going to be everything to everybody so it is good to have options.
is the market for transcon MVP + AS flyers looking for their likely upgrade really a bigger slice of the market than potential revenue J customers for a route like SEA-JFK? if you tell me it is, i'll take your word for it, although i wouldn't base that entirely on *well that's what AS is doing, so that makes it true:".
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Copa on its 7M9 (737 Max9).

2-2 16 seats total.
Copa has 16F, 24PE, 126Y
Alaska has 16F, 24PE, 135Y

Those lie flats reduce the seating on the 739M by 9 coach seats. That's a lot of potential revenue to give up if you cant fill all 16F seats with paying customers.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 5:13 pm

is the market for transcon MVP + AS flyers looking for their likely upgrade really a bigger slice of the market than potential revenue J customers for a route like SEA-JFK? if you tell me it is, i'll take your word for it, although i wouldn't base that entirely on *well that's what AS is doing, so that makes it true:".
The point is that Alaska has a fleet 20% the size of AA and cant dedicate a small inflexible number of aircraft to a route or two that they fly only a few times a day. Just for fun I looked at a couple random days in March, Jet Blue doesn't even offer non-stop JFK-SEA service at all on those days.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:56 pm

One could argue that with reduced business travel and increased focus on leisure, this is the absolute worst time to try lie flat on transcon routes. All these lie flat seats are going for under $1000 R/T between South Florida and LAX.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
They are not going to have a different product for one route. Soon AS will be a member of OW and people can take AA on premium routes or they can just forget about AS all together if their product or route network does not work for them.

Of course there are far more MVPs looking for free upgrades than people willing to pay full fare. That is true with every airline. If every frequent flyer were paying full J fares on every flight, there would be no need for flyertalk😀.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I don't know specifically about 737s, but plenty of airlines run lie-flats on 757-200s (exact same cabin diameter as a 737, or 727 or 707 for that matter, and 17 feet longer than the 739) and A321s (6" wider). Obviously could be done without much trouble.

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Those lie flats reduce the seating on the 739M by 9 coach seats. That's a lot of potential revenue to give up if you cant fill all 16F seats with paying customers.
Yup, that's the core point. The revenue premium would have to be pretty large to offset the loss of capacity (even if they can only sell the F seats as coach tickets and fill them with upgraders) and fleet flexibility.

The point is that Alaska has a fleet 20% the size of AA and cant dedicate a small inflexible number of aircraft to a route or two that they fly only a few times a day. Just for fun I looked at a couple random days in March, Jet Blue doesn't even offer non-stop JFK-SEA service at all on those days.
Yeah, although I wouldn't take current schedules as representative of anything, either what's likely to actually fly in March or "normalcy". But frequency is a good point: in normal times, what does AA offer, 10x daily LAX-JFK and 5x daily SFO-JFK? AS never came close to those frequencies, did they? That just makes the subfleet they'd need smaller and therefore more difficult to operate. If you only have 10 planes in a subfleet, you can have exactly 0%, 10%, or 20% of your capacity as spares. 0% isn't enough, and 10% is awfully expensive, while still just one plane so not enough to have a spare where you might actually need it. Or else you don't have spares, and you risk having to sub in a regular plane for the people who paid the giant revenue premium you wanted for the lie flat bed in the first place. Any way you slice it, that doesn't sound like a great business case. B6 has a decent-sized Mint subfleet largely by flying Mint to a lot of destinations.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
The point is that Alaska has a fleet 20% the size of AA and cant dedicate a small inflexible number of aircraft to a route or two that they fly only a few times a day.
I hope you're aware that most airlines in the world have fleets <20% the size of AA-- some notable examples would be SQ, CX, KE, AY, SV, list goes on.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Unionruler
I hope you're aware that most airlines in the world have fleets <20% the size of AA-- some notable examples would be SQ, CX, KE, AY, SV, list goes on.
When SQ takes my sleeper seat away when flying SFO/SEA, I'll complain. I doubt people would complain if SQ took away lie flat seats on its robust domestic flight network. (I was about to make a joke regarding CX, but then remembered that 30-ish years ago, I flew CX SFO/YVR.)
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When SQ takes my sleeper seat away when flying SFO/SEA, I'll complain. I doubt people would complain if SQ took away lie flat seats on its robust domestic flight network. (I was about to make a joke regarding CX, but then remembered that 30-ish years ago, I flew CX SFO/YVR.)
CX had a dedicated subfleet for the SFO-YVR flight, right?
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I think lie-flat for AS makes about as much sense as starting ANC-Japan routes, but....

If AS is dropping the Airbus fleet with the new 737MAX except the A321neos, there is your subfleet.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Unionruler
And how many of those are flying US domestic transcons with lie flat seats??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.