Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:41 pm

Is there an easy way to pay the difference to go from coach to first? (Difference is not that large, and I have to check bags. Corporate booking site does not permit F purchases.)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nall
Is there an easy way to pay the difference to go from coach to first? (Difference is not that large, and I have to check bags. Corporate booking site does not permit F purchases.)
Coincidentally, someone just asked about that a few days ago. I'll just paste these in:
Originally Posted by jinglish
Yeah, you can call in for an upfare. I've never done it, so I'm not sure if you'd have to pay the change fee more than twenty-four hours after purchase if you're a non-elite.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
You can also do it online in My Trips and change the reservation there.

Upfaring does count as a change and a change fee applies after 24 hours or the second change within 24 hours of purchase. However, when I've done it in the past sometimes an agent will waive the change fee. The website won't, outside of the free change (or if you're Gold/75K).
​​​​​​
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:22 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I understand that GGUs cannot be waitlisted. Is the same true for mileage upgrades?

I am trying to use 15K miles to upgrade an upcoming ORD-SFO flight (on a B fare, so it is eligible), and there is no U space available. I tried to waitlist over the phone, but was told that wasn't an option.

Is my only option to get on the waitlist at the airport?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
I understand that GGUs cannot be waitlisted. Is the same true for mileage upgrades?

I am trying to use 15K miles to upgrade an upcoming ORD-SFO flight (on a B fare, so it is eligible), and there is no U space available. I tried to waitlist over the phone, but was told that wasn't an option.

Is my only option to get on the waitlist at the airport?
Nope can't wait list you will have to monitor for U space and call in. Only wait-list is for elite comp upgrade
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM; AS 75K; Marriott Titanium Elite
Transcon upgrades as 75K

Starting in the middle of next year, I'll be commuting between NYC and LA every week for about 12 months total. I'm currently Platinum Medallion with Delta but I'm considering a status match to MVP 75K. I've had nothing but great experiences with Delta since moving over from AA, but I'm considering shifting to Alaska b/c (1) no change fees, which will give me a lot more flexibility, (2) Alaska seems to have much cheaper transcon fares, and (3) I'll earn significantly more miles on Alaska, especially as I would qualify for 75K outright in both 2019 and 2020, so there's 100,000 miles right there. Of course, this also means I'm giving up wide bodies, PTVs and free meals/drinks in C+ (although it looks like Premium Class is similar to C+).

I'm curious if anyone could speak to the upgrade chances on transcons with Alaska. My general pattern will be first flight on Tuesday mornings out of LAX to either EWR or JFK, and then one of the last flights out on Thursday nights for the return, again from either airport. Upgrades for Platinum Medallions on Delta between JFK and LAX are almost nil, so I'm curious what the chances would be as a 75K.

Many thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flightline87
Starting in the middle of next year, I'll be commuting between NYC and LA every week for about 12 months total. I'm currently Platinum Medallion with Delta but I'm considering a status match to MVP 75K. I've had nothing but great experiences with Delta since moving over from AA, but I'm considering shifting to Alaska b/c (1) no change fees, which will give me a lot more flexibility, (2) Alaska seems to have much cheaper transcon fares, and (3) I'll earn significantly more miles on Alaska, especially as I would qualify for 75K outright in both 2019 and 2020, so there's 100,000 miles right there. Of course, this also means I'm giving up wide bodies, PTVs and free meals/drinks in C+ (although it looks like Premium Class is similar to C+).

I'm curious if anyone could speak to the upgrade chances on transcons with Alaska. My general pattern will be first flight on Tuesday mornings out of LAX to either EWR or JFK, and then one of the last flights out on Thursday nights for the return, again from either airport. Upgrades for Platinum Medallions on Delta between JFK and LAX are almost nil, so I'm curious what the chances would be as a 75K.

Many thanks!
There's no reason not to do AS status match since it's free. There's no status challenge like the other big three.

There are times that AS comes out significantly cheaper than DL main cabin tickets or AS might have a non-stop, and it makes sense to just fly AS for one or both of the legs. Service-wise, AS and DL are pretty evenly match imo and happy to fly either.

Regarding upgrades, might want to check this thread. Should have plenty of data points.
flightline87 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:05 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Originally Posted by CDKing
Nope can't wait list you will have to monitor for U space and call in. Only wait-list is for elite comp upgrade
So I can't even get on the waitlist at the airport?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I can't even get on the waitlist at the airport?
There is no waitlist at the airport other the standby and elite comp upgrades. After elite upgrade processor runs if there is still U space left its whoever sees it first gets it.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by sergent
I have a Condor (881...) ticket with SFO-SEA on AS307 followed by SEA-FRA on DE2033 in business class. It's about 2 and a half hours for the connection. It was a good price and will earn a ton of miles! But I'm suddenly a bit worried about the possibility of a missed connection.

If the Alaska flight is super delayed (let's say it's a typical SFO ATC snafu) and I am going to miss the Condor flight, would it be Alaska's job to rebook me, or would I have to call Condor? I think (hope) the answer is Alaska based on other stuff I've read here...

Would they have to rebook me on the next day's Condor flight or could they rebook me on another airline?

If they can put me on another airline, would it need to be one of Condor's interline partners (since it's their ticket) or one of Alaska's interline partners (since they would be doing the rebooking) or both?

I don't think it's likely to happen, but I just want to know what the rules are in case it does. Thanks in advance for any info or any first-hand experiences.
I didn’t see anyone address your question, and it has been a few days.
Are your tickets on these two flights booked separately, or are they booked as one ticket, using one PRN? If they are booked separately, neither Alaska nor Condor will rebook you if your first flight arrives late, since neither of them will be responsible for you. That happens if you have two separate tickets. It will be up to you to purchase whatever is available as a last minute walk-up fare to get you to your final destination.

if they are booked on one PRN, it is hard to say. They will be pointing fingers at each other as to whose fault and who has to rebook or reaccommodate you. Anything could happen.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:24 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

There is no waitlist at the airport other the standby and elite comp upgrades. After elite upgrade processor runs if there is still U space left its whoever sees it first gets it.
Ok, that's good to know. I have had ExpertFlyer set to alert me if U opens up, but nothing so far. Kind of a weird situation, as the flight is in less than 18 hours, there are 7 of 8 F seats available and only 1 person currently on the waitlist (I realize this could change, but still).

So, if U never opens up, the flight would go out with empty F seats, rather than taking my miles upgrade at the airport? Seems odd to me.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Kind of a weird situation, as the flight is in less than 18 hours, there are 7 of 8 F seats available and only 1 person currently on the waitlist (I realize this could change, but still).
People could have been upgraded already and just not selected seats, that happens when you get a UG, you are not assigned and each person has to manually assign themselves a seat.

-- Just realized you're using EF so you may actually be seeing availability, in that case they may offer to sell F at the gate for the amount of $ that is specified by the route length.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, that's good to know. I have had ExpertFlyer set to alert me if U opens up, but nothing so far. Kind of a weird situation, as the flight is in less than 18 hours, there are 7 of 8 F seats available and only 1 person currently on the waitlist (I realize this could change, but still).

So, if U never opens up, the flight would go out with empty F seats, rather than taking my miles upgrade at the airport? Seems odd to me.
8 seats means former Virgin America plane. Most of the time (if not all) these do not have U released until 2 hours before flight or closer in, at that point the rest of the upgrade list will be processed. It happens that way on a few of the Alaska flights but it seems to be like clockwork on 8 seat F cabin.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
8 seats means former Virgin America plane. Most of the time (if not all) these do not have U released until 2 hours before flight or closer in, at that point the rest of the upgrade list will be processed. It happens that way on a few of the Alaska flights but it seems to be like clockwork on 8 seat F cabin.
Are you saying GGU run before complimentary u/g ?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Are you saying GGU run before complimentary u/g ?
No, since you can't waitlist GGU, U space may open up and fill the cabin (if there are more people that seats) before say Expertflyer can even send a U space alert.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How long does it typically take for AS flights to post to Mileage Plan account? I'm now at 3 days and wondering if this is normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.