Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Akck

It depends. If they change to a flight with U space available, they should be automatically be upgraded. If U space isn’t available, you can call in to get the GGU code back.
Thanks!
Old May 8, 2018, 6:25 pm

Hey all,
VX flier here. During the period where VX/AS were still both operating websites but miles were earned only on Alaska, booking Main Cabin Select through VX coded as an S fare with a 50% bonus on AS. Main Cabin Select was displayed alongside Economy/First as a separate cabin on VX's site.
However, it appears that on Alaska's site, Premium Class is simply a seat upgrade and does not affect your fare bucket. Can anyone confirm? Does picking a Premium Class seat automatically bump your fare bucket up for S and award a 50% mileage bonus?
Old May 8, 2018, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer
Hey all,
VX flier here. During the period where VX/AS were still both operating websites but miles were earned only on Alaska, booking Main Cabin Select through VX coded as an S fare with a 50% bonus on AS. Main Cabin Select was displayed alongside Economy/First as a separate cabin on VX's site.
However, it appears that on Alaska's site, Premium Class is simply a seat upgrade and does not affect your fare bucket. Can anyone confirm? Does picking a Premium Class seat automatically bump your fare bucket up for S and award a 50% mileage bonus?
Separate cabin no longer exists. Its treated just like any other coach fare. AS does sell S fare bucket which earns extra miles but its full fare economy and not associated with the premium seats.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:33 pm

Well, that's disappointing. Cheers!
Old May 10, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: alaska airlines
Smile First ever post - what to do with 460K Alaska miles

Hello everybody, brand new user here.

I have a bit over 460k Alaska miles. I've been dreaming about going to Fiji/Australia with husband and 11 y/o on miles, preferably on Business but hopefully on First. Home in Seattle. Have vacation from August 17 to 31 of this year.
Is it even conceivable to hope for 3 Business/First class tickets being only 3 months away? Should I keep checking availability everyday (or several times/day)?
What is the best strategy to be able to book 3 Round trip Business/First class tickets on Fiji Airlines or Qantas, including a stop over, during the Jun/Jul/Aug?
What is the farthest out I can book (330 days ahead)?
Should I try for next year? I have tried to see the availability of Business/First class tickets on awards for next year (the last possible available date, which is April 4 as of today - May 9), but it only gives me options for economy/coach seats. When do the "better" seats come available?

I'm just beginning my journey. A LOT to learn, and I am thankful for a site like this.

Regards,
Glaucia
Old May 10, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by glaucia
Hello everybody, brand new user here.

I have a bit over 460k Alaska miles. I've been dreaming about going to Fiji/Australia with husband and 11 y/o on miles, preferably on Business but hopefully on First. Home in Seattle. Have vacation from August 17 to 31 of this year.
Is it even conceivable to hope for 3 Business/First class tickets being only 3 months away? Should I keep checking availability everyday (or several times/day)?
What is the best strategy to be able to book 3 Round trip Business/First class tickets on Fiji Airlines or Qantas, including a stop over, during the Jun/Jul/Aug?
What is the farthest out I can book (330 days ahead)?
Should I try for next year? I have tried to see the availability of Business/First class tickets on awards for next year (the last possible available date, which is April 4 as of today - May 9), but it only gives me options for economy/coach seats. When do the "better" seats come available?

I'm just beginning my journey. A LOT to learn, and I am thankful for a site like this.

Regards,
Glaucia
It will be impossible to get 3 J or F tickets on Fiji or Qantas just because those two airlines hardly release any award seats. Maybe somebody can correct me regarding Fiji, but I know Qantas sucks with awards. Your best bet is searching for Cathay J or F seats and connect through Hong Kong to Australia.. with Cathay it would not be impossible to end up with 3 F awards on the same flight though they do not have an F product from HKG to Australia.

and 3 months in is the perfect time to start preparing your search for the CX awards.

Good luck !
Old May 10, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

It will be impossible to get 3 J or F tickets on Fiji or Qantas just because those two airlines hardly release any award seats. Maybe somebody can correct me regarding Fiji, but I know Qantas sucks with awards. Your best bet is searching for Cathay J or F seats and connect through Hong Kong to Australia.. with Cathay it would not be impossible to end up with 3 F awards on the same flight though they do not have an F product from HKG to Australia.

and 3 months in is the perfect time to start preparing your search for the CX awards.

Good luck !
I concur. Use the British Airways site to search for CX award availability. I also live in Seattle and have learned a couple tricks using the BA site for these flights. You will need to setup a BA account to do so. When using the BA site search from the CX gateways (YVR, SFO, LAX). Search for gateway-HKG flight first, then separately for HKG-destination. Search for the SEA-gateway flight on the AS site.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Alaska newbie question (search did not help).
Does a paid F ticket give access to lounge in SEA?
TIA
Old May 10, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Yes, as long as it isn’t an upgraded F ticket (U class).
Old May 10, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Thank you.
It's a paid ticket so I should be OK.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:58 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
First time in over 10 years that first segment is on AS; can I checkin at home computer and print BP at kiosk? Or download App and get BP on it?
Old May 11, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by EmailKid
First time in over 10 years that first segment is on AS; can I checkin at home computer and print BP at kiosk? Or download App and get BP on it?
You can do all of those. Downloading the app is easy and it'll give you additional information, like if there's a gate change.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Akck

It depends. If they change to a flight with U space available, they should be automatically be upgraded. If U space isn’t available, you can call in to get the GGU code back.
How would it work if the first segment has U space and the second segment doesn't, but is showing F5? Would one be placed on the upgrade list cause of the GGU?
Old May 11, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jason8612
How would it work if the first segment has U space and the second segment doesn't, but is showing F5? Would one be placed on the upgrade list cause of the GGU?
They would clear for the first segment only. GGUs aren't waitlisted for uncleared segments unlike other airlines' instrument upgrades. They require monitoring and calling in if U opens. If U never opens and the travelers do not have status, they'd be out of luck. I'm not sure if it's even possible to add them to the waitlist without status. Maybe? Or if the waitlist is cleared and still have open F seats, a sympathetic GA might move them up.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
As mentioned, I wouldn’t wait for an automatic upgrade should U space open. Call in and request the upgrade as part of the GGU. I seen enough glitches where the upgrade didn’t happen automatically and someone else was upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.