Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Segment price changed during purchase

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:39 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 2, 2018, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cyborg
I was purchasing a mixed class transcon this morning with First outbound at $599 and Economy return at $249. I selected seats and entered credit card info then pressed submit (or whatever the button is called), The system displayed an error that seats were not available, re-select flights (or something like that). I tried to re-select the flights and the First segment was now $1999.

I've never seen this in all my years of booking tickets on the internet ( websites or TWA/PARS Travelshopper).Needless to say I 'm not going to play that game and will select a flight on another airline in the $500 range for the outbound. Anyone else see this on AS or is it just my bad luck/timing? I thought the price was locked in during the payment process.
V/r,
-Cyborg
New to using AS.com, though a semi regular flier back in CO days.

I have seen UAL.com reprice during ticketing, saying something like that price is no longer available.

But methinks it's some sort of an IT glitch - surely they don't think they will get $2K for a ticket others are charging $500, unless it's the last one. And even then ....

I've learned if I REALLY wanted that flight at that price to buy first and select seats later, especially when "only 1 seat left at this price" @:-)
Old May 2, 2018, 2:38 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:39 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 2, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cyborg
Yeah, it wasn't the last seat. There are 8 in the A320 cabin. There were 2 seats occupied when I selected mine before the purchase screen. After the "Fail" at purchase there were 5 seats left with the "Re-priced" (3X what I tried to purchase) flight select page. So no, it wasn't the last seat, not even close. Someone grabbed seat 3 of 8 while I was in the process of purchasing and it tripled the price? Nice...
V/r,
-Cyborg
This probably happened. I have seen instances where that cheaper price fare bucket will open up again after some period of time - sometimes under 24 hours. So, if it's not urgent or too close, just wait it out.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:38 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:38 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 3, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
How does AS treat combined AA/BA/EY international bookings? Let's say, for example, that I am flying ARN-LHR-LAX, with the intra-Euro segment being on BA, but the TATL being AA-operated. Assume also that I can purchase the fare from either AA or BA, and with slight variations, it will be roughly the same.

If I buy from BA, I will get BA flight numbers all the way through, but the TATL flight number does NOT fall within the numbers for which AS gives credit since it's AA operated. But AA is an international partner too! Can I still get credit with AS?

I understand it if the flight is marketed by BA, operated by a carrier that AS doesn't partner with (for example, a BA flight actually operated by IB, or something like that).

But in this case... I'm a bit confused.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by notsosmart
How does AS treat combined AA/BA/EY international bookings? Let's say, for example, that I am flying ARN-LHR-LAX, with the intra-Euro segment being on BA, but the TATL being AA-operated. Assume also that I can purchase the fare from either AA or BA, and with slight variations, it will be roughly the same.

If I buy from BA, I will get BA flight numbers all the way through, but the TATL flight number does NOT fall within the numbers for which AS gives credit since it's AA operated. But AA is an international partner too! Can I still get credit with AS?

I understand it if the flight is marketed by BA, operated by a carrier that AS doesn't partner with (for example, a BA flight actually operated by IB, or something like that).

But in this case... I'm a bit confused.
Officially must be marketed and operated by the partner. Unoffically and in practice if operated by a partner its good.
notsosmart likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I’m looking at booking a ticket for my nephew, and want to use a GGU on his flight but there is not currently U available.

If I pay the increased fare now, do I apply the GGU now - and hope it becomes available, or do I wait and apply the GGU when I see U become available ?

never had to do that before, thanks
Old May 6, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I’m looking at booking a ticket for my nephew, and want to use a GGU on his flight but there is not currently U available.

If I pay the increased fare now, do I apply the GGU now - and hope it becomes available, or do I wait and apply the GGU when I see U become available ?

never had to do that before, thanks
You can only apply a GGU if there is actually U space available. You cannot waitlist a GGU. So you will have to wait until (if) U opens up and apply the GGU at that time. If you have EF, set an alert. Otherwise, you just have to keep checking.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Finkface
You can only apply a GGU if there is actually U space available. You cannot waitlist a GGU. So you will have to wait until (if) U opens up and apply the GGU at that time. If you have EF, set an alert. Otherwise, you just have to keep checking.
And if your nephew isn't Gold or 75K or beyond the 60 day window, upfaring to a GGU eligible fare class later can trigger a change fee. You may be able to HUACA to get an agent to waive it.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
is there a way to keep wallet funds alive? have some expiring <30 days and no plans to travel anytime
Old May 7, 2018, 6:29 pm

is there a way to keep wallet funds alive? have some expiring <30 days and no plans to travel anytime
Book a refundable flight for far in the future then change to your desired flight when time comes
Old May 7, 2018, 6:44 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
How does it work with a same day change and a upgraded flight?
I used a MVP gold guest to upgrade a family member (confirmed upgrade). If they wanted to do a same day flight change, would they lose the upgrade? (I assume so).
Old May 8, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
This is jumping the gun and I’m sure I’ll end up getting the credit but I’m just finishing one of my JFK LAX SYD WLG SYD LAX JFK Qantas runs and JFK LAX SYD posted but without the double miles (in my experience double miles always post at the same exact time as flown miles). I asked on Twitter and he says the promo ended Feb 28 2018 - wrong ! Between both trips I’m counting on 35,000 bonus miles from this promo alone .. but I’m sure AS will fix it ... hopefully

about to take off LAX JFK and I got an entire row of 4 at the back of the plane, score !

https://www.alaskaair.com/promo/QF1701
Plus, you'll earn double Mileage Plan miles on economy fares when you register below and travel with Qantas between November 1, 2017, and May 31, 2018, from one of Qantas' North American gateway cities”. By the way, I am actually pleasantly surprised, I had included my OWE # to access Flagship lounge JFK and Qantas F lounges in LAX and SYD. All the flight attendants have been calling me by my name, I’ve been given business class headphones, pillows, blankets and told to use the first class restroom on my SYD WLG SYD legs. Very nice of them, or maybe it’s from my AS 75K # now that Qantas and AS have that new recip lounge policies ... good trip so far :-)

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; May 8, 2018 at 10:12 am
Old May 8, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jason8612
How does it work with a same day change and a upgraded flight?
I used a MVP gold guest to upgrade a family member (confirmed upgrade). If they wanted to do a same day flight change, would they lose the upgrade? (I assume so).
It depends. If they change to a flight with U space available, they should be automatically be upgraded. If U space isn’t available, you can call in to get the GGU code back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.