Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thank you. Given some chronic pain issues, I don't want to take the chance of us being in coach for a 6 hour flight.

Guess I'll just let that potential $240 stay unclaimed
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thank you. Given some chronic pain issues, I don't want to take the chance of us being in coach for a 6 hour flight.

Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:47 pm

I know Alaska airlines will through check baggage to a partner airline, even on a separate ticket. Did this recently for Alaska to Cathay Pacific flight. [Thank you, Alaska Air, unlike American Air and British Air]. However, will Alaska Airlines through check baggage to 2 different air partners through 2 additional tickets? Hoping to check in luggage in LAS to LAX on revenue Alaska ticket, connecting to American Airline LAX to LHR on 2nd revenue ticket, finally to last revenue British Airways ticket LHR to CDG.

Any confirmation would be appreciated before I book the last British Airways ticket. I really don't want to have to pick up and recheck luggage in LHR.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
On a scale of 1 (never) -10 (guaranteed), how would you rate my chances of getting an F upgrade for AS metal SEA/ORD/SEA in early October as an MVP? What can I do to better my chances?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
On a scale of 1 (never) -10 (guaranteed), how would you rate my chances of getting an F upgrade for AS metal SEA/ORD/SEA in early October as an MVP? What can I do to better my chances?
The optimist in me says 0. These flights show no U space available on most days. The alternative I used is the 6pm PDX-ORD flight.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
To better your chances you can monitor for U space and if you find it call AS to upfare to an eligible Y or S fare and upgrade to the U space. Complimentary upgrades for MVP will be very unlikely especially if you purchased from a deeply discounted fare bucket.

James
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by DrAlex
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk MattYi!
The class of service bonus might be quite important for your trip because that applies to your EQM. So, most business class international AA fares will earn more than HU (unless you can find a good deal on an R fare instead of an I fare). There are currently some inexpensive flights in business on AA from LAS to PEK. You wouldn't earn AS miles for LAS-LAX, but you'd earn for the LAX-PEK legs and end up just shy of 19K miles (~18750). If you add a separate AS segment SEA-LAS, that another 1732 EQM r/t. I don't think HU (or another AS partner) flies PEK-PVG, though...
The other HU example @safari ari posted should earn ~15675 EQM and then you'd book a separate SEA-LAX (or even SEA-PDX-LAX) for an extra ~1900 (or ~2700) EQM r/t.
FYI: it's currently less expensive to book through the Hainan website ($1800 vs $2000 on GF). They have a constant 15-20% fare sale due to their 25th anniversary. It may be even cheaper on the 7th-9th of each month - they run additional discounts on those days.
Good luck finding something that works for you in business class - seems more comfortable than 14 hours in coach DXB-SEA!
Hi DrAlex - I booked the AA flight from LAS to PEK! And I just figured that if I won't be able to earn the miles for LAX-LAS when I come back, would it be OK if I just drop that flight and book a flight from LAX to SEA? Would I still be earning the miles for PEK-LAX in this case? Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MattYi
Hi DrAlex - I booked the AA flight from LAS to PEK! And I just figured that if I won't be able to earn the miles for LAX-LAS when I come back, would it be OK if I just drop that flight and book a flight from LAX to SEA? Would I still be earning the miles for PEK-LAX in this case? Thanks!
^ Nice! I believe the consensus here on FT is it's alright to throw away the last leg on occasion - just don't make it a habit (when flying one carrier). Perhaps someone here with more AA knowledge than me can chime in and give an opinion as to whether AA might care about throwing that last leg away?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by DrAlex
^ Nice! I believe the consensus here on FT is it's alright to throw away the last leg on occasion - just don't make it a habit (when flying one carrier). Perhaps someone here with more AA knowledge than me can chime in and give an opinion as to whether AA might care about throwing that last leg away?
Originally Posted by MattYi
"Someone" I know may have done something like this. Technically by the letter of the law this is against AA's terms and policies but, if you do not plan on earning miles on AA, and you do it once and not a habit that will flag you, you will not have any issue with getting the miles that you have flown, even if you missed the last segment. You may actually get some money back on the last segment, really depends how the fare is structured.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Stay in F, or lie-flat in Coach?

Once again, this will be our first AS flight (ignore the status-match Gold in my profile).

We are flying F HNL-ANC on a redeye. As I look at the coach seat map, there are near-zero seats occupied in the forward coach cabin. We are wondering whether we should expect this situation on our flight a week from now, and if so, would we get a better sleep each taking an empty row in coach? Would this be allowed by the FAs?

If this were a good idea, how best to put the plan in effect? Ask the F FA?

Many thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 747FC
Once again, this will be our first AS flight (ignore the status-match Gold in my profile).

We are flying F HNL-ANC on a redeye. As I look at the coach seat map, there are near-zero seats occupied in the forward coach cabin. We are wondering whether we should expect this situation on our flight a week from now, and if so, would we get a better sleep each taking an empty row in coach? Would this be allowed by the FAs?

If this were a good idea, how best to put the plan in effect? Ask the F FA?

Many thanks.
What does the rest of economy look like? The seats forward of the exit rows are reserved for elites and full-fare passengers, but they become open to everyone at T-24. I'd expect those seats to get at least a handful of extra travelers who haven't yet selected a seat. Not to mention savvy non-elites; before I hit MVP, I was routinely able to grab a window seat in row 10 or thereabouts at check-in.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jinglish
What does the rest of economy look like? The seats forward of the exit rows are reserved for elites and full-fare passengers, but they become open to everyone at T-24. I'd expect those seats to get at least a handful of extra travelers who haven't yet selected a seat. Not to mention savvy non-elites; before I hit MVP, I was routinely able to grab a window seat in row 10 or thereabouts at check-in.
Thanks for your insights. There are many more behind the exit rows.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Thanks for your insights. There are many more behind the exit rows.
Not sure about ANC but most red-eyes are full/nearly full in my experience. Unlikely you will be able to have 3 seats to yourself. Not impossible, just unlikely.

James
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
To better your chances you can monitor for U space and if you find it call AS to upfare to an eligible Y or S fare and upgrade to the U space. Complimentary upgrades for MVP will be very unlikely especially if you purchased from a deeply discounted fare bucket.

James
Thanks. Suspected as much.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Has anyone ever had any luck contacting AS for old flight information (~2009-2013)? I'm trying to track down some old flights I took, but the history section of the MP website only goes back so far.. Curious if anyone has had them pull your full flight history with MP #?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.