Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
How do I force routing through other airports on AS? I feel like I should know this. For example, I want to route through PDX (I'm SEA based) for extra segments or miles. I'm just trying to figure out how to maximize routing to get the most miles.
If you look at the results for your O/D all non-stops (if they exist) will be listed first followed by itineraries with connections. For example, if you are looking for LAS-SEA, the first entries will be the non-stop flights. As you move down you will see other options with connections like LAS-PDX-SEA, LAS-SFO-SEA & LAS-LAX-SEA.

For more control, use the multi-city search. You can put in up to 4 segments. You will get a price for each segment. AS is pretty good at piecing the segments together so you get the same price as you see in the simple LAS-SEA search. This method also would allow you to have a longer lay-over in PDX, for example, if you wanted to spend the day there and return to SEA later in the evening.

James
Nurse Traveler likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
HU doesn't allow stopovers on Intra-China awards, even in PEK, correct? And CX and KE also don't (intra-asia)? Only JL does in TYO?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
If I book a MEL-LAX-JFK Qantas business award, with MEL-LAX in Premium Economy, is there any situation where business award space opens up and I can move into it?

Does Qantas ever open up award space in the last few days before departure?

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
If I book a MEL-LAX-JFK Qantas business award, with MEL-LAX in Premium Economy, is there any situation where business award space opens up and I can move into it?

Does Qantas ever open up award space in the last few days before departure?

Thanks!
Yes, if you see J space open up you can call AS to upgrade. It will trigger a $125 change fee though. I had a CX J award MEL-HKG. Several months later I called and added CX F HKG-LAX with a 2 month stopover. Extra Mileage Plan miles and a little more taxes. I don't follow QF enough to know about last minutes availability. I will be on my first international (have flown domestic QF on AS awards) A380 QF F award DFW-SYD in two weeks.

Best of Luck,

James
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
There's no EQM bonus for a premium seat in the economy class, right?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by twitch76
There's no EQM bonus for a premium seat in the economy class, right?
Correct,

EQM is based on the fare class purchased, not the seat you sit in. Y, S, B & M fares in economy have a class of service bonus, the rest do not. You earn 1 Mile in Mileage Plan for every Mile flown with a 500 mile minimum. (CX partner exception)

James
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our award booking on CX JFK-HKG//HKG-MEL made in March now has a flight schedule change on the HKG-MEL leg. The flight number and departure time changed. I notice this about 10 days ago when I could not view the reservation on AS site and the message to call AS displayed.

Because this is booked pre June 5th change I really dont want to do a reissue even though this is due to partner airline schedule change, until the last possible free change date which would be Aug 23 or 24, being 60 days from Oct 24 departure date. So after I checked CX site and saw CX just put us on the flight departs after midnight and everything remained Status Confirmed, I decided to ignore the "To Call" message.

Yesterday I got an "urgent" email from AS saying one of our flights was canceled, please call asap. In reality while the original flight departing at 19xx was no more, we are booked and confirmed on the 00xx flight that is 4+ hours later.

If I dont call AS until closer to Aug 24, would AS cancel my reservation? CX still shows Confirmed as of now.

I am hoping to see better availability on the HKG-Aussie leg because I see some HKG-ADL are being released now. I have long given up hope on the JFK-HKG leg which probably would not have any availability until 7 to 10 days before departure.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Our award booking on CX JFK-HKG//HKG-MEL made in March now has a flight schedule change on the HKG-MEL leg. The flight number and departure time changed. I notice this about 10 days ago when I could not view the reservation on AS site and the message to call AS displayed.

Because this is booked pre June 5th change I really dont want to do a reissue even though this is due to partner airline schedule change, until the last possible free change date which would be Aug 23 or 24, being 60 days from Oct 24 departure date. So after I checked CX site and saw CX just put us on the flight departs after midnight and everything remained Status Confirmed, I decided to ignore the "To Call" message.

Yesterday I got an "urgent" email from AS saying one of our flights was canceled, please call asap. In reality while the original flight departing at 19xx was no more, we are booked and confirmed on the 00xx flight that is 4+ hours later.

If I dont call AS until closer to Aug 24, would AS cancel my reservation? CX still shows Confirmed as of now.

I am hoping to see better availability on the HKG-Aussie leg because I see some HKG-ADL are being released now. I have long given up hope on the JFK-HKG leg which probably would not have any availability until 7 to 10 days before departure.
Call AS to confirm the changes. It will in no way affect your 1 free change.

James
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Call AS to confirm the changes. It will in no way affect your 1 free change.

James
The ticket needs to be reissued because the partner flight number and time change. The reissued ticket will be post June 5th, hence that uses up the free change at least per the system set up. CX has shown confirmed status since 10 or more days ago when I first noticed the change. AS email did not come until yesterday. So I dont think the CX rebooking by CX itself is in any danger.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:37 pm

The ticket needs to be reissued because the partner flight number and time change. The reissued ticket will be post June 5th, hence that uses up the free change at least per the system set up. CX has shown confirmed status since 10 or more days ago when I first noticed the change. AS email did not come until yesterday. So I dont think the CX rebooking by CX itself is in any danger.

The reschedule was an involuntary change. It has nothing to do with your ability to make a voluntary change. Calling AS will flag their system that the customer has been notified and you won't get any further communications with respect to it.

Think IRROPS: CX cancelled a flight you were on and reaccommodated you on a different flight. AS just wants to know that you are aware of the changes. Nothing more.

Your ticket has already been reissued. Had it not, you wouldn't see it on CX and you will never see it on AS until the notification has been cleared.

James
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The reschedule was an involuntary change. It has nothing to do with your ability to make a voluntary change. Calling AS will flag their system that the customer has been notified and you won't get any further communications with respect to it.

Think IRROPS: CX cancelled a flight you were on and reaccommodated you on a different flight. AS just wants to know that you are aware of the changes. Nothing more.

Your ticket has already been reissued. Had it not, you wouldn't see it on CX and you will never see it on AS until the notification has been cleared.

James
You are WRONG. This is different from IRROP which is on the go situation, you are at the airport or en-route. Often you have to get the reissuance done while at the gate.

Reward booking flight changes are completely different from IRROP.

Based on over a doz booking on CX flights with both AA and AS miles, CX will show your new flight when it changes the schedule and rebook you. In fact, many times in the past that is me who call the FFP to get the tickets reissued to reflect the now changed flights. Matter of fact, this is a standard procedure I do with all reward bookings - check booking periodically to see if any changes on the partner flights. If there is, call the native FFP to get ticket reissued, ALWAYS make sure you have new tickets to reflect the changes,

No, the tickets have NOT been reissued. It HAS to be reissued to reflect the new flight and once it is reissued, I will receive new confirmation email with NEW TICKET NUMBERS. That has NOT happened UNTIL I call them back. Every airline's program I have redeemed miles from, operated this way. New Tickets when there are partner flight changes, even it is just 10 min difference on the departure time. AA does that, BA does that, AS does that, UA does that. You get NEW Tickets to reflect the changes.

The only time you dont need to get new tickets is the changes are on the Native program's own metal, That type of change you could just confirm it online that you accept the changes, just did this on the return part a couple weeks ago when AS changes its LAX-FLL flight to a couple hours later. UA too, you just need to accept it. Then the tickets are "Revalidated" and you are set.

With Partner flight changes, always will get new tickets. In this case, the new tickets have NOT come. Just an email notification on the canceled flight. Until I call back, AS would not reissue the tickets but reissuance is needed.

I understand it is involuntary change but the tickets must be reissued to reflect the change. The reissuance would be post June 4th, Try to argue this reissuance should not count against me with the agent should I be lucky enough to find the better flights before Aug 24... I dont feel like to do the battle when there are less than 10 days before I would lose the one shot free change anyway.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 15, 2018 at 7:01 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:12 pm

You are WRONG. This is different from IRROP which is on the go situation, you are at the airport or en-route. Often you have to get the reissuance done while at the gate.

Reward booking flight changes are completely different from IRROP.

Based on over a doz booking on CX flights with both AA and AS miles, CX will show your new flight when it changes the schedule and rebook you. In fact, many times in the past that is me who call the FFP to get the tickets reissued to reflect the now changed flights. Matter of fact, this is a standard procedure I do with all reward bookings - check booking periodically to see if any changes on the partner flights. If there is, call the native FFP to get ticket reissued, ALWAYS make sure you have new tickets to reflect the changes,

No, the tickets have NOT been reissued. It HAS to be reissued to reflect the new flight and once it is reissued, I will receive new confirmation email with NEW TICKET NUMBERS. That has NOT happened UNTIL I call them back. Every airline's program I have redeemed miles from, operated this way. New Tickets when there are partner flight changes, even it is just 10 min difference on the departure time. AA does that, BA does that, AS does that, UA does that. You get NEW Tickets to reflect the changes.

The only time you dont need to get new tickets is the changes are on the Native program's own metal, That type of change you could just confirm it online that you accept the changes, just did this on the return part a couple weeks ago when AS changes its LAX-FLL flight to a couple hours later. UA too, you just need to accept it. Then the tickets are "Revalidated" and you are set.

With Partner flight changes, always will get new tickets. In this case, the new tickets have NOT come. Just an email notification on the canceled flight. Until I call back, AS would not reissue the tickets but reissuance is needed.

I understand it is involuntary change but the tickets must be reissued to reflect the change. The reissuance would be post June 4th, Try to argue this reissuance should not count against me with the agent should I be lucky enough to find the better flights before Aug 24... I dont feel like to do the battle when there are less than 10 days before I would lose the one shot free change anyway.
Ok Happy, why ask if you have it all figured out? I said THINK IRROPS, same procedure. I didn't say it was IRROPS, you are wrong, but whatever!

If CX shows that you are on the later flight then how can you not be ticketed? No need to answer! I am very much disinterested!

Can anyone other than Happy confirm that involuntary changes are subject to a change fee?

James

EDIT: I just received an email from AS letting me know my flight times changed on an upcoming CX award. No reissue, no need to call! No new confirmation email. New flight times show in myTrips. hmmmm...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Uhh, AS agents have the authority to waive change fees if the situation warrants it. Just tell the agent that you want that noted on your reservation when you call to reconfirm it.
jinglish, T2A and DrAlex like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Does AS not offer direct ANC-LAS flights during the Winter any longer? Or will these fares be published at a later date? I found a press release from 2013 ( https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2013-...-and-Las-Vegas ) but looking on multiple dates in December I'm not seeing anything.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by cragAK
Does AS not offer direct ANC-LAS flights during the Winter any longer? Or will these fares be published at a later date? I found a press release from 2013 ( https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2013-...-and-Las-Vegas ) but looking on multiple dates in December I'm not seeing anything.
Looks like LAS is gone

Did this redeye several times...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.