Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador

Date of Flight: January 21, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 253 LTO-LAX
Time of Departure: 2:45pm
Length of flight: 2 hours
Class of service: First
Meal served: Snack-"Protein Plate"
Meal Description: One stuffed grape leaf, half an egg, Beechers cheese wedge, Mozzarella Cheese mini balls, grapes, Cucumber slices, One Julienne Pepper slice, olives & a mini-ramekin of cold nuts on the side. With a Chocolate too!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:45 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium

Date of Flight: January 29, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 792 sea-dtw
Time of Departure: 7:59am
Length of flight: 3:20 in air booked for 4:05
Meal served: breakfast
Meal Description: vegetable quiche, with roasted veggies, and a fruit
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP LT PLT, AS 75K, B6 Mosaic, HH D, Hyatt Globalist
Date: 20 Jan 2018
Route: SJC-HNL
Flight Number: 837
Departure time: 0905
Meal served: Breakfast
Meal description: Fruit Plate, Warm Pastry. Entrée either a) Mushroom and Fontina Cheese Quiche, roasted tomato and asparagus or b) House-made granola cold cereal w/Greek yogurt with honey
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
1/29 SAN-MCO 1005a departure: no meal preorders available (or at least that I saw).

Nuts

Mixed green salad with goat cheese and radish

Choice of pasta with basil marinara, grilled veggies (zucchini in my case), arugula or chicken with shakshuka sauce (whatever that is), couscous with olives, parsley and blanched broccolini.

The chuckanut bay cheesecakes are back and as good as before. Like really good. This was creme brûlée.

Snack basket about 90 min out.

Was impressed with the quality of food on this flight. The pasta was ok, but the flavor was pretty solid on everything and it wasn’t over sauced. The arugula is still absolutely perplexing to me, but it comes off easily.

I don’t do AS tcons much so it’s always interesting to experience them. Compared to last year’s flight, this stuff was edible (and I ate it!), portions were good for me. Might have been a little small for some, but it worked for me. Not EK F, but still solid. FAs were wonderful. They paced lunch really well and served it right about 90 minutes into the flight.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If I would have known you were on my flight to LAX last Friday, I would have had you send your turkey sandwich back to me in row 17
I woulda hand delivered it! I recently took my well worn FT tag off my bag so I’m incognito.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by tusphotog
1/29 SAN-MCO 1005a departure: no meal preorders available (or at least that I saw).
Nuts
Mixed green salad with goat cheese and radish
Choice of pasta with basil marinara, grilled veggies (zucchini in my case), arugula or chicken with shakshuka sauce (whatever that is), couscous with olives, parsley and blanched broccolini.
The chuckanut bay cheesecakes are back and as good as before. Like really good. This was creme brûlée.
Snack basket about 90 min out.
Was impressed with the quality of food on this flight. The pasta was ok, but the flavor was pretty solid on everything and it wasn’t over sauced. The arugula is still absolutely perplexing to me, but it comes off easily.

I don’t do AS tcons much so it’s always interesting to experience them. Compared to last year’s flight, this stuff was edible (and I ate it!), portions were good for me. Might have been a little small for some, but it worked for me. Not EK F, but still solid. FAs were wonderful. They paced lunch really well and served it right about 90 minutes into the flight.
I had the same meals/experience on JFK-PDX today. I chose the chicken which was nice and tender, although not particularly flavorful, with a tomato and vegetable sauce. Broccolini was just an al dente broccoli crown. Portion size was decent. Nuts were served after lunch for some reason.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Date: Jan. 31,2018
Route: SEA-IAH
Flight Number: 350
Departure time: 11:52 am

Meal served: Lunch
Meal description: It was the same meal as post #56 , the turkey sandwich, coleslaw, chips & lemon cookie. Water was the PDB and warm nuts were served with the first beverage.

Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: February 02, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 124 FAI-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:47pm
Length of flight: 3:00
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: Mexican beef with with a corn, onion and black bean salad. Two tortillas were included on the side. Dessert was a Cougar Mountain oatmeal raisin cookie.

Additional Comments: Catering usually provides FAs with a sheet listing exactly what's being served. All they have to do is read it. The proper name of all food stuffs being served is right there. Instead, our meal - in both description and presentation (Corn & black bean salad presented in its soggy paper container) - was more like a trailer park BBQ - after a long afternoon of drinking can after can of Milwaukee's Best. Additionally, it's not like this is a new meal. It's been around through multiple cycles last year. Other than that, the FA did a decent enough job - presenting both drinks and meals in a timely manner. She even arranged wheelchair assistance for me at SEA after my seventh Jack Daniels.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Mountain oatmeal raisin cookie.

Additional Comments: Catering usually provides FAs with a sheet listing exactly what's being served. All they have to do is read it.
All airlines supply this and the FA's will continue to stay, Chicken or Pasta... Unions have the FA's backs and allow them to be lazy when it comes to service.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
All airlines supply this and the FA's will continue to stay, Chicken or Pasta... Unions have the FA's backs and allow them to be lazy when it comes to service.
One would hope that the extensive interview process prior to being hired would weed the lazy ones out, but alas - no system's perfect. Maybe I'm old school but I'd be embarrassed to stand in front of sixteen of my company's most loyal customers and present one of its products so poorly. Where's the personal pride?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
One would hope that the extensive interview process prior to being hired would weed the lazy ones out, but alas - no system's perfect. Maybe I'm old school but I'd be embarrassed to stand in front of sixteen of my company's most loyal customers and present one of its products so poorly. Where's the personal pride?
Well, look at the industry as a whole. One any flight that service a meal domestically 99% of FA's will says, Well you be dining with us, we have Chicken or Pasta. So if the industry norm is just saying 3 words then we (passengers) take that way. Like I wrote, the Unions have the airlines by the nuts when it comes to lazy FA's. As long as the FA stays above the "acceptable" level of service the airlines can't do anything. The unions do not permit ghost riders any longer, to see if FA's are doing what they are supposed to. On AA, the standard of service is PDB, but it's being reported that many people aren't getting them, on DL.FA's aren't doing a drink service (because the length of the flight is too short) but it's not. I'm sure when these FA's are hired they have all the energy but after a while, they see other FA"s being lazy and they develop the bad habits.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Well, look at the industry as a whole. One any flight that service a meal domestically 99% of FA's will says, Well you be dining with us, we have Chicken or Pasta. So if the industry norm is just saying 3 words then we (passengers) take that way. Like I wrote, the Unions have the airlines by the nuts when it comes to lazy FA's. As long as the FA stays above the "acceptable" level of service the airlines can't do anything. The unions do not permit ghost riders any longer, to see if FA's are doing what they are supposed to. On AA, the standard of service is PDB, but it's being reported that many people aren't getting them, on DL.FA's aren't doing a drink service (because the length of the flight is too short) but it's not. I'm sure when these FA's are hired they have all the energy but after a while, they see other FA"s being lazy and they develop the bad habits.
I have had nothing but good-excellent FAs, none lazy, on my Alaska flights over the last 30+ years. Don't know if it's the job security of being in a union or maybe Alaska just hires really good people, but it works!
Eastbay1K and sltlyamusd like this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
I have had nothing but good-excellent FAs, none lazy, on my Alaska flights over the last 30+ years. Don't know if it's the job security of being in a union or maybe Alaska just hires really good people, but it works!
I find it hard to believe that out of the 30 yrs of flying that every FA when it came time for meal told you exactly what you are going to get and not just say you want Chicken or Pasta. IF it is true, you should buy a Powerball ticket.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond

2/4 JFK -PDX
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bosca418

2/4 JFK -PDX
That is one tasty menu
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
While I've had a handful of lemons over the years, for the most part, the AS crews have been great. As far as blaming unions for the sad state of inflight service, I am not sure what it has to do with what AS will be serving in first class on your flight, so I'd suggest that part of the topic shift elsewhere, or go nowhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.