Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sergent
Condor applied for a loan from the German government, per this article, if Google Translate is correct. Perhaps their creditors are waiting to see if that goes through?

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtscha...eite-1.4612157

There are some early morning flights due to depart from FRA in about 30 minutes; I will be curious to see if they actually take off.
Yes, this seems to be the case--but the UK government refused to intervene in regard to the rest of the company--and people are already very confused by code sharing as many flights sold through Condor are operated by another Thomas Cook airline and vice versa. I guess it does make some sense to deal with "rescuing" all the people from the UK side first and then leave a few more days to deal with the German side. Since Air Berlin and Germania were both allowed to go under, it seems unlikely they would suddenly try to save Condor--but you never know. It will also be difficult if any of their planes get repossessed by the leasing companies in the coming hours/days.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FT thread Thomas Cook Enters Compulsory Liquidation

https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/

What happens to Condor is another question
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condor_(airline)
Condor, legally incorporated as Condor Flugdienst GmbH, is a German leisure airline based in Frankfurt and a subsidiary of the insolvent Thomas Cook Group. It operated scheduled flights to leisure destinations in the Mediterranean, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, and the Caribbean. Its main base was at Frankfurt Airport with further smaller bases at other German airports
<snip>
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

What happens to Condor is another question
Ironically when Air Berlin applied for state aid Germania sued to stop it. Then both ended up disappearing. They will be hard pressed now to save Condor but it gives then at least one more day to fly as they await an answer--though with insolvency in the UK and bankruptcy declared in the US, it will be interesting to see how they avoid getting their planes repossessed.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
DE2427 just took off a few minutes ago from YXY, DE2091 from PDX about 40 minutes now. Will be interesting to see if the outbounds from FRA operate today.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:00 pm

Just imagine you are at the airport ready to push back and the pilot announces....we seem to have a problem.
kileysmom likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
DE2427 just took off a few minutes ago from YXY, DE2091 from PDX about 40 minutes now. Will be interesting to see if the outbounds from FRA operate today.
Looks like DE1580 and DE1772 just pushed back at FRA.

To bring things slightly back on-topic, if Condor goes bust, I wonder what Alaska will do for people on award tickets who are in the middle of their trip?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:19 pm

To bring things slightly back on-topic, if Condor goes bust, I wonder what Alaska will do for people on award tickets who are in the middle of their trip?
Technically, I think they are only obligated to refund the miles and taxes. For customer service reasons, they may try to work out something with another partner but with AA/BA heavily focused on UK to US flights, there will be stiff competition already with those stranded without insurance to get on flights which were already nearly full. The best day to travel through London presumably would be on the 27th as the BA strike that day has been cancelled and many passengers had already been rebooked on other days.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Looking at Frankfurt airport’s departure page, all listed Condor flights this (Monday) morning appear to be boarding and/or departing.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Sep 22, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:26 pm

Deutsche Welle's English site officially says they are looking for a government loan--

"German charter airline Condor, which comes under the insolvent travel operator's umbrella, has applied for a bridging loan from the government. The carrier also said that, for now, flights will remain operational."

https://www.dw.com/en/uk-travel-gian...ngs/a-50543024
tom911 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Ironically when Air Berlin applied for state aid Germania sued to stop it. Then both ended up disappearing. They will be hard pressed now to save Condor but it gives then at least one more day to fly as they await an answer--though with insolvency in the UK and bankruptcy declared in the US, it will be interesting to see how they avoid getting their planes repossessed.
And to be clear, the German government did in fact provide a €150M loan, which enabled Air Berlin to continue to operate for several months. And the loan was repaid as part of liquidation.

https://www.ifn.news/posts/air-berli...vernment-loan/

I would be surprised if Condor would not receive similar support, given the number of jobs involved and the number of travelers potentially affected.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Yikes, you know, AS can't seem to sort out award flights on Icelandair, BA are not reliable for the immediate future anyway, Condor is definitely questionable so that leaves Finnair as Aer Lingus has some totally ridiculous "prices" and AA only have econ (at least that I've ever seen). I moved my flights to London in October to Emirates after trying to get a couple of Condor seats.....sometimes good luck comes along! Long trip but done in J and F so not at all uncomfortable! Wondering what will happen over the next months and what options for redemption to Europe we will have?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
I have/had a Condor paid ticket from FRA to Seattle for Christmas. When I try to look at my reservation now, the page just errors out and says it's not working right now. Could just be website traffic overload, but still.......

Last year, just two days before I was to fly Cobalt Aero from Dusseldorf to Cyprus with a friend, they went t*ts up as well. I'm grateful for credit card coverage.
Hope all the people mid-trip at the moment get home safely and with minimal aggravation.....
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
[EDIT] Thomas Cook officially done this evening, no message on Condor but.... https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/22/b...pse/index.html

Last edited by williwaw; Sep 22, 2019 at 11:54 pm
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williwaw
As this thread is about Condor (in the context of AS partnership), your post is wrong and misleading. The article does not state that Condor is officially done as of his evening. In fact, the word Condor doesn’t appear in the story. Condor flights are operating for now.
tom911 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.