Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Thomas Cook Enters Compulsory Liquidation

Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR

Just saw the headline notification from France24.

Sorry to anyone affected.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The UK seems to have arrangements in place to rescue stranded s travelers, at no additional cost to the customers.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
FT says 150,000 travelers stranded.

From the article...

“...[stranded holidaymakers are now] ... reliant on an effort by the government’s Civil Aviation Authority to put together the biggest emergency repatriation in peacetime.”
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
This is now all that's on the TC website - http://cdn.thomascook.com/status.html

Thomas Cook UK Plc and associated UK entities have entered Compulsory Liquidation and are now under the control of the Official Receiver.

The UK business has ceased trading with immediate effect and all future flights and holidays are cancelled.

A dedicated support service is being provided by The Civil Aviation Authority to assist customers currently overseas and those in the UK with future bookings.

Please visit: www.thomascook.caa.co.uk
Note that as I write this the CAA webpage is broken. Maybe it's overloaded or maybe they haven't quite got it up and running at 2.45am UK time.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Can anyone blame this on the 737 Max?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

Thomas Cook UK Plc and associated UK entities have entered Compulsory Liquidation and are now under the control of the Official Receiver.

The UK business has ceased trading with immediate effect and all future flights and holidays are cancelled.

A dedicated support service is being provided by The Civil Aviation Authority to assist customers currently overseas and those in the UK with future bookings.

Please visit: www.thomascook.caa.co.uk for further information.

Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
R I P
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49791249
Thomas Cook has collapsed after last-minute negotiations aimed at saving the 178-year-old holiday firm failed.

The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said the tour operator has "ceased trading with immediate effect".

It has also triggered the biggest ever peacetime repatriation aimed at bringing more than 150,000 British holidaymakers home
<snip>
BA thread BA involved in repatriation of Thomas Cook customers

AS Condor thread Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)
Condor is owned by ThomasCook
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
As Condor is owned by Thomas Cook, I still see them selling flights online as of now.

Will Condor cease all operations? Or while it is owned by Thomas Cook it will continue to operate and be owned by the liquidators?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by roberto.triviani
As Condor is owned by Thomas Cook, I still see them selling flights online as of now.

Will Condor cease all operations? Or while it is owned by Thomas Cook it will continue to operate and be owned by the liquidators?
For now they are operating all flights. They have applied for German-government-guaranteed loan to deal with liquidity issues.

I am booked on a Condor flight tomorrow, so I am monitoring this closely.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
A very sad day indeed. It is a great shame that something could not be done to save this company. My best wishes to the thousands of staff and undoubtedly many more in support companies that are affected.
GadgetFreak and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Wow. I hadn't heard anything about them having financial difficulties. Makes one wonder how many more European airlines are teetering on the edge of insolvency.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Wow. I hadn't heard anything about them having financial difficulties. Makes one wonder how many more European airlines are teetering on the edge of insolvency.
They had been in trouble for a year or two. A rescue almost made it over the line, but ultimately failed because they could not raise £200M by the end of yesterday. I think the repatriation and other costs will be £600M from what I have seen reported. Then the costs of all the job losses, not only the 22,000 TC staff but the unknown number of support staff/companies. Mr/Mrs tax payer and the economy in general are going to foot a very large bill. The government hide behind the principal of not intervening in the private sector, with good reason. But with something as big as this, I think something should have been done. Maybe it was beyond salvation even with the rescue package, we will never know.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
They are/were more than an airline. I don’t have the breakdown, but I would guess the bulk of their business was packaged holidays. Their financial difficulties have been known for years. I think there are at least four airline subsidiaries... Thomas Cook UK, Thomas Cook Balearics, Thomas Cook Scandinavia, and Condor (Germany). According to media reports, all or some of the airlines themselves were actually profitable, but the packaged holiday business was dragging everything down due to an outdated business model relying heavily on brick and mortar travel agencies.

For now, at least Condor continues to operate. The UK airline has ceased operations. Not sure about the other two.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:35 pm

Their UK aircraft are being impounded by the airports because of unpaid fees.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.