Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Condor (DE) Partnership (Announced 3/20/2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
... I think this is old news. Plus, the Germans wouldn't let LH take over DE when they already have EW under their wings. And SN. And LX. Oh, and OS.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Seems like the future of Alaska and Condor may be in doubt. Many publications are pointing to the parent company, Thomas Cook having severe financial trouble and the stock has crashed to 16 cents. Allegedly both Lufthansa and Virgin Atlantic have made bids for the assets of both airlines, which I would assume would mean the demise of both only to be absorbed into the winning bidders airline. Particularly upsetting for us in Portland as other than DL condor is our only nonstop to Europe. I hope they stick around.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Things are definitely not looking good and unfortunately, once panic sets in people tend to stop booking for fear they will lose their money which just exacerbates the problem. This is what happened with WOW. Once people stop booking tickets and the creditors are looking for payments with little revenue coming in to cover it, the bottom falls out. Some people in the UK articles are worried about holidays they booked for the summer of 2020 on a debit card. It is understandable in some ways that the financial picture is presented as better than it is to keep the revenue coming in but it also turns out to be very deceptive when people find out later the company knew all along that they wouldn't survive and took people's money anyway. Would be best to book with a credit card that has a good record of getting money back in the event of a liquidation when attempting travel on Condor until the dust settles. As we have seen with several European airlines in the recent past, once they fail, they close up shop with no warning and leave people to fend for themselves.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Things are definitely not looking good and unfortunately, once panic sets in people tend to stop booking for fear they will lose their money which just exacerbates the problem. This is what happened with WOW. Once people stop booking tickets and the creditors are looking for payments with little revenue coming in to cover it, the bottom falls out.
I thought the airline part of Thomas Cook was actually performing well.

https://crankyflier.com/2019/05/14/c...ups-eurowings/
Old May 22, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Knowing Ive got a flight scheduled for this Monday, I'm definitely concerned. With BBC and others reporting financial crisis at Thomas Cook, it feels like they won't make it to the weekend. Am hoping I'm wrong.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46...eporting-story

https://aeronauticsonline.com/thomas...-out-of-deals/
Old May 22, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
The airline section is doing well right?
Old May 22, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
The airline section is doing well right?
Does it matter if the whole company has to liquidate? That would be like saying Horizon is doing great but the AAG has to liquidate. Obviously one controls the other so if the parent collapses it is not like a tiny piece of the company is just going to operate as normal. They could easily just sell off the pieces after the collapse and give whatever they get to the share/bond holders and leave the passengers to figure things out. Whoever takes the assets could fly those routes, eliminate a competitor and raise prices, or move the assets to somewhere more beneficial to the buyer. Would you feel fully secure if the ALK stock went down to 12 cents when the economy was not in a severe recession?
Old May 22, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Does it matter if the whole company has to liquidate? That would be like saying Horizon is doing great but the AAG has to liquidate. Obviously one controls the other so if the parent collapses it is not like a tiny piece of the company is just going to operate as normal. They could easily just sell off the pieces after the collapse and give whatever they get to the share/bond holders and leave the passengers to figure things out. Whoever takes the assets could fly those routes, eliminate a competitor and raise prices, or move the assets to somewhere more beneficial to the buyer. Would you feel fully secure if the ALK stock went down to 12 cents when the economy was not in a severe recession?
But does TC necessarily have to liquidate? Many US airlines have gone bankrupt under chapter 11 and continued to fly more or less “on schedule” while being reorganized. Anyone know what options U.K. companies have?

Looks like Condor just days ago added two A321 to its fleet (former WOW aircraft, I think).

I am currently planning to buy two Condor tickets for later this year. I assume my US credit card would provide a refund in case the flight doesn’t get operated because of bankruptcy, and if another company (LH) canceled the route, they would issue the refund.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

But does TC necessarily have to liquidate? Many US airlines have gone bankrupt under chapter 11 and continued to fly more or less “on schedule” while being reorganized. Anyone know what options U.K. companies have?

Looks like Condor just days ago added two A321 to its fleet (former WOW aircraft, I think).

I am currently planning to buy two Condor tickets for later this year. I assume my US credit card would provide a refund in case the flight doesn’t get operated because of bankruptcy, and if another company (LH) canceled the route, they would issue the refund.

The EU is the not the US which let DL/AA/UA etc carry forward losses to avoid paying corporate income taxes for years and allows for restructuring that enabled those carriers to pay pennies on the dollar to creditors and still to this day underfund their pensions by billions to give them unfair advantages over other carriers which did not go through that process. Wow, Primera, Cobalt, Germania, FlyBMI, Air Berlin were all in business one day and shut down completely the next. The UK has a tax which people buying packages through Thomas Cook and other companies pay to insure people in the event of a liquidation but that does not apply to passengers just buying air fares alone. Thus anybody just buying airfare will be at the very bottom of the barrel when it comes to finding an alternative. Once these companies get to the point that they can't pay their bills, you find yourself landing at the destination and the creditors decide to seize the plane or you have to use your personal credit card if you want the plane filled with fuel. You are not going to get much warning. Once the creditors see their money is at risk, they grab whatever assets the company has to secure their investments--whatever the consequences. Given that we are entering the summer and many people have non refundable packages they already purchased--they should have some revenue coming in--but if they have another bad month or two and their stock is worth nothing as it is--the writing will be on the wall. They complained that Brexit was the cause of some of their problems and it looks like that mess will now continue on indefinitely. Can they get a sale through fast enough to save the company? That is anybody's guess--but given the choice--it would probably not be worth the risk of finding yourself stranded if you are able to go on a more stable carrier.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; May 22, 2019 at 11:02 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Hmmmm...We have a flight this Sunday, and back the following Sunday.

Should I be worried? Articles seem to have conflicting information as to the immediacy of the possible closure.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:18 am

Well the good news for you is that they haven’t had any planes seized upon landing yet. Once you start to see that happen things can get ugly fast.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:36 am

The biggest risk right now is that the 300 million pound loan keeping them afloat is conditional on them getting a good price for the airline sale. With their debt rating further cut today combined with overcapacity in the European markets, competitors may just wait for it to fall apart rather than buy something they could pick up for a cheaper and cheaper price the longer they wait. So it is going to be a crazy few weeks for them to see who blinks first.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The EU is the not the US which let DL/AA/UA etc carry forward losses to avoid paying corporate income taxes for years and allows for restructuring that enabled those carriers to pay pennies on the dollar to creditors and still to this day underfund their pensions by billions to give them unfair advantages over other carriers which did not go through that process. Wow, Primera, Cobalt, Germania, FlyBMI, Air Berlin were all in business one day and shut down completely the next.
I do realize that the UK/EU is not the EU.

But since you cite examples, Air Berlin filed for insolvency on Aug 15, 2017 and ceased operations on Oct 27, 2017. It’s subsidiary Niki, a separate airline, followed an entirely different schedule to its demise. It didn’t declare bankruptcy until Dec 14 when it became clear the EU wouldn’t approve the LH takeover plan.

So it appears... EU bankruptcy doesn’t necessarily equate immediate shutdown (there are companies that file for bankruptcy and are able to reorganize). And parent company bankruptcy doesn’t necessarily require subsidiary bankruptcy.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I do realize that the UK/EU is not the EU.

But since you cite examples, Air Berlin filed for insolvency on Aug 15, 2017 and ceased operations on Oct 27, 2017. It’s subsidiary Niki, a separate airline, followed an entirely different schedule to its demise. It didn’t declare bankruptcy until Dec 14 when it became clear the EU wouldn’t approve the LH takeover plan.

So it appears... EU bankruptcy doesn’t necessarily equate immediate shutdown (there are companies that file for bankruptcy and are able to reorganize). And parent company bankruptcy doesn’t necessarily require subsidiary bankruptcy.
Only because they had already worked out an agreement to distribute their assets. In this case they are only flying because they are getting 300 million pounds in loans but it is contingent on getting whatever the lender expects to get through the sale of the airlines. If the bids are too low, they don't get the loan and then they start to spin out of control. This is a leisure travel company relying mostly on package tour sales. Several similar companies have liquidated in the recent past leaving people stranded. Of course there is no way of knowing on exactly what the time line is going to be, if there are no buyers for the assets at a price the lenders are willing to take and they have no money to operate, it will go belly up. The only thing that would take time is if there were an agreement to sell to deal with the asset transfer process. At this point, nobody knows how it will play out and if it will be a long drawn out process or if we wake up and find out that the company no longer exists. Given this scenario, if you have the choice, why get in the middle of this if you can avoid it?
Old May 23, 2019, 10:00 am

https://www.theguardian.com/business...doomed-airline

This is one of the big leisure airlines which suddenly disappeared and stranded over 100,000 people. There have been others since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.