Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Not. Going. To. Happen.
Congrats on the outbound but forget about getting award seats home. QF typically doesn't release any F seats until mid-January at the earliest.
That's what I thought was going to be the answer...I guess I can try and play the phone call game with CX and see if I get lucky!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:35 pm

For me, I noticed seats opened up at exactly 9 months out. Perhaps we should set an alert to see if something will pop?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
is there a stops limit when booking QF flights? for eg: can I book JFK-LAX-MEL-ASP-PER? in F and J

Last edited by tdot_guy; Apr 1, 2019 at 11:21 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tdot_guy
is there a stops limit when booking QF flights? for eg: can I book JFK-LAX-MEL-ASP-PER? in F and J
Is MEL-ASP-PER a bublished route on QF like SFO-SEA-LAX is on AS? If it is not, your award will terminate in either ASP or PER depending on where you choose to go. I anticipate you are wanting to do a stopover in ASP and then "get a free flight" to PER. As I understand it, the stopover is only permitted at the gateway which in your instance is either LAX or MEL.

James in Portland
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Is MEL-ASP-PER a bublished route on QF like SFO-SEA-LAX is on AS? If it is not, your award will terminate in either ASP or PER depending on where you choose to go. I anticipate you are wanting to do a stopover in ASP and then "get a free flight" to PER. As I understand it, the stopover is only permitted at the gateway which in your instance is either LAX or MEL.

James in Portland
thanks for the explanation
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:53 pm

I used something similar for my trip. I booked my destination way farther, I then backtrack into MEL to finish the trip.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I just noticed something when trying to find seats to New Zealand via Qantas. I know that you can't book a separate award between Australia and New Zealand but you can add a segment on as long as it's part of a North American itinerary. If I search for a one way SEA-AKL or PDX-AKL, no QF options show. But if I search from either SFO or LAX, the flights show up. So I tried a multi-city search and sure enough, SEA(or PDX)-LAX / LAX-AKL shows results. How strange. And how annoying.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I just noticed something when trying to find seats to New Zealand via Qantas. I know that you can't book a separate award between Australia and New Zealand but you can add a segment on as long as it's part of a North American itinerary. If I search for a one way SEA-AKL or PDX-AKL, no QF options show. But if I search from either SFO or LAX, the flights show up. So I tried a multi-city search and sure enough, SEA(or PDX)-LAX / LAX-AKL shows results. How strange. And how annoying.
Did LAX-AKL show up on QF as via SYD/MEL/BNE? Or maybe LAX-AKL on AA (if they are eligible)?
Aust-NZ fares can be $225-$275 one way (or less or more)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is definitely something fishy going on with availability. I just held a QF LAX-MEL first class award on AA that was not visible on AS. Lots of other dates show availability on AA but not on AS (AS shows a subset of what AA shows).

I'd much rather book this with AS to get a stopover (visit both MEL and SYD). My AA itinerary has my continuing on to SYD 23hr40min after landing but I may just drop that segment before ticketing, pay for a flight a few days later instead
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There is definitely something fishy going on with availability. I just held a QF LAX-MEL first class award on AA that was not visible on AS. Lots of other dates show availability on AA but not on AS (AS shows a subset of what AA shows).
That is not new. For whatever reason, AS frequently does not see all inventory that other QF partners see.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: NZ
[QUOTE=VegasGambler;30976252]There is definitely something fishy going on with availability. I just held a QF LAX-MEL first class award on AA that was not visible on AS. Lots of other dates show availability on AA but not on AS (AS shows a subset of what AA shows)./QUOTE]

What date did you book?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minz56
What date did you book?
I grabbed Dec 25 but there were other days available as well. Also I didn't check to see if Dec 25 was still available (there may have been more than 1 seat)

You can search on AA (even without an account) so it's easy to see the discrepancy between AA and AS.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Did LAX-AKL show up on QF as via SYD/MEL/BNE? Or maybe LAX-AKL on AA (if they are eligible)?
Aust-NZ fares can be $225-$275 one way (or less or more)
I should have taken screenshots because I can't replicate it from earlier today but I was searching on Jan 5 - all seats seem to be gone now.

I just tried another possibility on 10/20 and a one way search from PDX to AKL came up just fine...I don't know what to say. Phantoms haunting the website?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:11 pm

Just an FYI for others who are searching QF awards:

I managed to book three F tickets LAX-SYD in late December. In all my searches for this timeframe and the return in January I've seen not a single J, but very excited to fly international first! I was seeing a lot of intermittent availability of F US-AUS, especially to MEL.

Also managed to book J seats domestic Australia...after a week of trying to book (multiple calls and over, yes, 100 attempts online) I had to get the reservations line to manually sell the award seats (visible on AS/AA/QF/ExpertFlyer). Still don't know the magic to get them to do this...maybe it's HUCA.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ecdysiast
Just an FYI for others who are searching QF awards: I managed to book three F tickets LAX-SYD in late December. In all my searches for this timeframe and the return in January I've seen not a single J, but very excited to fly international first! I was seeing a lot of intermittent availability of F US-AUS, especially to MEL. Also managed to book J seats domestic Australia...after a week of trying to book (multiple calls and over, yes, 100 attempts online) I had to get the reservations line to manually sell the award seats (visible on AS/AA/QF/ExpertFlyer). Still don't know the magic to get them to do this...maybe it's HUCA.
This mirrored our experience last year. We had the choice of two LAX-MEL First Class seats on both 12.25 and 12.26, even managed connecting flights to Hobart. But returning in early January, there were no F or J seats from Oz to any city in North America. We wound up buying a relatively cheap HTI-LAX-SYD roundtrip J ticket to get home. It was cheaper than a one way.
ecdysiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.