FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

Calculon Jun 16, 2017 12:15 am

Originally Posted by tpsmith82 (Post 28449098)
So, I've got a question that I might know the answer to but wanted to get some feedback. I'm trying to plan a trip for next spring flying on AS and JL. I'm booking F award tickets for a total of 75K miles each. My planned route is:
FCA(Kalispell, MT) > NRT(Tokyo)Stop > CGK(Jakarta)Destination

Obviously I'll have a couple of connections to get to NRT. FCA > SEA > LAX > NRT

When I search each individual segment there is award availability. When I put together a trip starting from SEA it prices out correct, 75K. As soon as I add on the 1st leg (FCA>SEA) it no longer is available and gives an error of 1300?

Wondering: Is this due to too many segments in and award booking, even though I only have one stopover, one destination, no backtracking etc. Or is this due to the fact when I add on the 1st segment it makes the itinerary contain 3 class fares.
FCA > SEA : Main cabin on AS
SEA > LAX : 1st on AS
LAX > NRT : 1st on JL
NRT > CGK : Business on JL

Or am I missing something and this award just isn't bookable? With all separate segments being available, would and agent over the phone be able to book?

I know I've read information where there was issues booking when there was the premium economy available, but I cant quite seem to figure this out.

Thanks for any insight and help.

My guess is your most likely problem is the AS segments aren't available in saver space. Distant second possibility is your connection time in SEA could be too short.

On FCA-SEA by itself, what's the price in miles? That will tell you if it's eligible as an add-on to a partner award or not.

tpsmith82 Jun 16, 2017 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Calculon (Post 28449127)
My guess is your most likely problem is the AS segments aren't available in saver space. Distant second possibility is your connection time in SEA could be too short.

On FCA-SEA by itself, what's the price in miles? That will tell you if it's eligible as an add-on to a partner award or not.

AWESOME! Guess it never crossed my mind, but the FCA > SEA rout was pricing at 20K on the date I was looking. There are other dates showing 12.5K. So to add on that 1st segment it has to be the lowest fare?

Just checked it with the new date and priced out right at 75K.

Thanks for the super fast reply!! I appreciate it.

jinglish Jun 16, 2017 12:33 am

Originally Posted by tpsmith82 (Post 28449098)
So, I've got a question that I might know the answer to but wanted to get some feedback. I'm trying to plan a trip for next spring flying on AS and JL. I'm booking F award tickets for a total of 75K miles each. My planned route is:
FCA(Kalispell, MT) > NRT(Tokyo)Stop > CGK(Jakarta)Destination

Obviously I'll have a couple of connections to get to NRT. FCA > SEA > LAX > NRT

When I search each individual segment there is award availability. When I put together a trip starting from SEA it prices out correct, 75K. As soon as I add on the 1st leg (FCA>SEA) it no longer is available and gives an error of 1300?

Wondering: Is this due to too many segments in and award booking, even though I only have one stopover, one destination, no backtracking etc. Or is this due to the fact when I add on the 1st segment it makes the itinerary contain 3 class fares.
FCA > SEA : Main cabin on AS
SEA > LAX : 1st on AS
LAX > NRT : 1st on JL
NRT > CGK : Business on JL

Or am I missing something and this award just isn't bookable? With all separate segments being available, would and agent over the phone be able to book?

I know I've read information where there was issues booking when there was the premium economy available, but I cant quite seem to figure this out.

Thanks for any insight and help.

Mixed-cabin bookings are totally fine, and there's no limit on number of segments as long as routing is reasonable. I've seen this issue too; I was looking at SFO-HND (stopover)-TSA availability a little while back, and while I could find availability without a stopover, I got errors (i.e., dates header showing availability but nothing showing for any given day when I selected one) whenever I tried searching for either the routing with the stopover or the HND-TSA segment on its own. I'd just been planning on calling the partner award desk when I want to book, and if you do that, you might get the agent to waive the phone booking fee since the site wasn't working properly.

EDIT: And now I see it was just a matter of saver space on the initial seg for you.

Calculon Jun 16, 2017 7:36 am

Originally Posted by tpsmith82 (Post 28449157)
AWESOME! Guess it never crossed my mind, but the FCA > SEA rout was pricing at 20K on the date I was looking. There are other dates showing 12.5K. So to add on that 1st segment it has to be the lowest fare?

Just checked it with the new date and priced out right at 75K.

Thanks for the super fast reply!! I appreciate it.

Excellent! Hope you can find a date that works for your schedule.

Yeah, to use AS with a partner award, the Alaska flights need to come from Saver inventory. Not technically the same as the "cheapest" anymore, now that they have some new lower-priced award categories that are sometimes available for shorter flights. But basically, yes.

reverted Jun 16, 2017 10:35 am

Have noticed AS loading of JL flights is days if not a week behind when they actually release seats. By the time it gets loaded onto the website, F and sometimes J is already all booked out. Anyone find a way around this?

stompey5 Jun 17, 2017 7:44 am

This may be better for another thread but I'll post here because it relates to JL awards.

Right now my family and I are flying JL TPE-NRT/HND-JFK. Currently my wife and son are flying J/F on the segments and I am J/J/. I have been watching for another F seat to become available but figure it won't happen until within 2 weeks. Our TPE-NRT flight is 12 days before the HND-JFK flight, cutting very close to the 2 week timeframe. Question is: if the F seat isn't available until after I start the journey, will I be able to change the ticket from J->F?

I figure it has to be easier to upgrade mid-itinerary than change route...

beckoa Jun 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by stompey5 (Post 28453832)
This may be better for another thread but I'll post here because it relates to JL awards.

Right now my family and I are flying JL TPE-NRT/HND-JFK. Currently my wife and son are flying J/F on the segments and I am J/J/. I have been watching for another F seat to become available but figure it won't happen until within 2 weeks. Our TPE-NRT flight is 12 days before the HND-JFK flight, cutting very close to the 2 week timeframe. Question is: if the F seat isn't available until after I start the journey, will I be able to change the ticket from J->F?

I'm not certain AS will allow you to increase your COS once you've commenced travel.

paperwastage Jun 18, 2017 7:41 am

Originally Posted by stompey5 (Post 28453832)

https://www.5931.jal.co.jp/rsvInter/...leInfoInput.do

if JAL sells out of F seats (which is possible), then there's 0 chance of you getting a F award seat

stompey5 Jun 18, 2017 9:26 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 28456838)
https://www.5931.jal.co.jp/rsvInter/...leInfoInput.do

if JAL sells out of F seats (which is possible), then there's 0 chance of you getting a F award seat

JAL consistently releases open F and J seats 2 weeks out - so I will just have to hope the route and seat I need will come at 14, 13 or 12 before I take my flight!

HanBkk Jun 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Changing dates, with routing change from NRT to HND

I've currently got an award ticket booked for Pek-Nrt in J, and then the next day Nrt-Ord in F.
My understanding of AS rules is that it is possible to change dates as long as airline and routing doesn't change.
For the new date I want Pek-Nrt is not available, but Pek-Hnd is. The second leg will still be Nrt-Ord and it is available. Is there any chance AS will let me change from arriving in Nrt to Hnd without penalty? I imagine the answer is no, but no harm in checking. Either requires an overnight layover in Japan, so it will work for me either way.

eponymous_coward Jun 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by HanBkk (Post 28466356)
My understanding of AS rules is that it is possible to change dates as long as airline and routing doesn't change.

No. That's not how it works (perhaps you are confused with AA, which DOES allow unlimited date changes as long as airline and departure/destination do not change). You can change anything you'd like, but if you're within 60 days, there's a $125 fee, which is waived for MVPG/75K. If you are outside of 60 days there is no fee (possible add collect if the taxes or associated fees change- for instance, HKG added an additional charge to help construct a new runway, if you changed an award involving HKG that was made before the fee was imposed, you'd get the new fee).

A coterminal change from NRT to HND on an award with stopover in TYO should be fine, but the change fee may be imposed if you are within 60 days of travel.

YoungSoloTraveler Jul 5, 2017 11:11 pm

Any DP on moving stopover length to a new date after first leg flown? Trying to push back second leg a couple more days to enjoy Tokyo more :D

kayexalate Jul 16, 2017 9:15 pm

JAL withholding award seats on 6/9/18?

Hi, I've been trying to book an economy fare using my AS miles for SFO-HND on 6/9/18.

I'd been checking many days prior to 330 days in advance and all was looking good because every day leading up to 6/9/18 there were plenty of economy seats available for flight JL1 from SFO-HND.

However, when 6/9 became available for booking, there were no seats available in economy. not even on business or first class. I thought it was a glitch or maybe someone else grabbed the seats, but that was unlikely since i was watching it like a hawk.

I followed through for a few more days and of course 6/10, 6/11, 6/12 all have availability.

So frustrating because I want 6/9, but for some reason there are no seats available. (I need 4).

I booked 4 seats on 6/10 for 35k each and hope to be able to change to 6/9 if they become available.

I checked JL's website for award availability and it's showing plenty of award seats available.

"10 to 15 remaining" JL001

Any reason why JL is withholding that days seats only and not releasing them to AS?

I asked AS partner desk and they said they have no clue, but it's just random what they get. If true, just wondering why that day in particular (of course the day I want!) has nothing when days (weeks!) before and after is wide open.

Strange.

eponymous_coward Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 28568776)
Any reason why JL is withholding that days seats only and not releasing them to AS?

Someone else booked them? JL seats can be booked through a number of oneworld programs.

kayexalate Jul 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 28568875)
Someone else booked them? JL seats can be booked through a number of oneworld programs.

But JAL's own site, it shows 10-15 seats available for that particular day. So it seems they're not releasing any award seats that day to AS.

It is possible that AS did have some and someone booked them all, but like I said I was watching it like a hawk, and unless someone on AS booked 5+ award seats in the couple hours I didn't check, it's more likely they just aren't releasing them.

At least that's my interpretation.