FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

reverted Jul 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 28568895)
But JAL's own site, it shows 10-15 seats available for that particular day. So it seems they're not releasing any award seats that day to AS.

It is possible that AS did have some and someone booked them all, but like I said I was watching it like a hawk, and unless someone on AS booked 5+ award seats in the couple hours I didn't check, it's more likely they just aren't releasing them.

At least that's my interpretation.

I believe it may have something to do with it being a Saturday. Call me crazy or may just be a coincidence. When I was trying to book for May 19th, a Saturday, on JL1 as well the AS website would not show any availability. Yes, I was booking First but the entire JL1 flight would not show up on search calendar. It was just on that one day. All days prior and the days to follow showed up like clockwork when the website opened up the schedule at 330 days out.

kayexalate Jul 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by reverted (Post 28568948)
I believe it may have something to do with it being a Saturday. Call me crazy or may just be a coincidence. When I was trying to book for May 19th, a Saturday, on JL1 as well the AS website would not show any availability. Yes, I was booking First but the entire JL1 flight would not show up on search calendar. It was just on that one day. All days prior and the days to follow showed up like clockwork when the website opened up the schedule at 330 days out.

I agree! I don't think you're crazy. When I went back and looked at other dates, just like you, there were a few other Saturdays that had nothing available. I just assumed the award seats were taken, since I wasn't watching those dates closely

The strange thing is that it isn't all Saturdays (example 6/2/18 has plenty of seats). I don't know the rhyme or reason why and I hope they eventually do release the date I want (6/9)

what did you end up doing re: 5/19? Book another day or did it eventually show up?

Right now it doesn't show any availability on 5/19 except for economy. No business or first.

reverted Jul 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 28568978)
I agree! I don't think you're crazy. When I went back and looked at other dates, just like you, there were a few other Saturdays that had nothing available. I just assumed the award seats were taken, since I wasn't watching those dates closely

The strange thing is that it isn't all Saturdays (example 6/2/18 has plenty of seats). I don't know the rhyme or reason why and I hope they eventually do release the date I want (6/9)

what did you end up doing re: 5/19? Book another day or did it eventually show up?

Right now it doesn't show any availability on 5/19 except for economy. No business or first.

Ended up just booking 2 F seats for 5/20 instead. Somewhat flexible on dates so it wasn't too concerning. I know it was an AS problem because when I couldn't see the flight on the AS website, I called AA to hold the 19th flights in F. Cancelled my hold after I booked the 20th on AS.

kayexalate Jul 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by reverted (Post 28569018)
Ended up just booking 2 F seats for 5/20 instead. Somewhat flexible on dates so it wasn't too concerning. I know it was an AS problem because when I couldn't see the flight on the AS website, I called AA to hold the 19th flights in F. Cancelled my hold after I booked the 20th on AS.

Thanks. I seem to be in the same boat. However, since we're using HND as a stopover for 5 days then HND-ICN, I can't use my AA miles since they won't allow a stopover.

Just curious if you had 5/19 on hold with AA why not use your miles with them?

I'm hoping the date I want eventually opens up, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see

Are you still checking the 5/19 availability on AS or did you use a service like expert flyer?

reverted Jul 16, 2017 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 28569095)
Thanks. I seem to be in the same boat. However, since we're using HND as a stopover for 5 days then HND-ICN, I can't use my AA miles since they won't allow a stopover.

Just curious if you had 5/19 on hold with AA why not use your miles with them?

I'm hoping the date I want eventually opens up, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see

Are you still checking the 5/19 availability on AS or did you use a service like expert flyer?

Doing SFO-HND-BKK with a week stopover in Tokyo so didn't want to use AA miles like you. Used my AA miles for an EY redemption instead.

I just check BA every now and then to see if it opens up. Trip isn't until May 2018 and it seems they open up a lot more seats around 2 weeks from departure.

CDKing Jul 17, 2017 7:59 am

JL website is going to show availability for those using JL miles, not AS miles. are you seeing the same on BA website or QF?

reverted Jul 17, 2017 9:34 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 28570263)
JL website is going to show availability for those using JL miles, not AS miles. are you seeing the same on BA website or QF?

From what I've seen, seats available on JL website are also available for redemption from partners. It's the case for F anyway. When I was monitoring award space, everyday when JL would release their seats, they would show up on BA immediately. To the second.

kayexalate Jul 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 28570263)

Yes, BA's website shows 4 seats available in economy, 2 in premium economy and 2 in Business for 6/9/18

AS website is showing nothing for that date in any class.

JL's website shows plenty too.

Seems like JL is not releasing award seats to AS for whatever reason when they have plenty.

skimthetrees Jul 18, 2017 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 28573688)
Yes, BA's website shows 4 seats available in economy, 2 in premium economy and 2 in Business for 6/9/18

AS website is showing nothing for that date in any class.

JL's website shows plenty too.

Seems like JL is not releasing award seats to AS for whatever reason when they have plenty.

This is an AS issue. AS blocks awards on the website for 5 more days than other partners. Now, 7/18 at 10pm PDT, AS website is showing JL availability up through 6/8 which is 325 days out. At midnight PDT tonight (in a couple of hours) the AS website will show JL availability for 6/9. I do not know if this is limited to the website. Did you try calling it in?

kayexalate Jul 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 28578102)
This is an AS issue. AS blocks awards on the website for 5 more days than other partners. Now, 10pm PDT, AS website is showing availability up through 6/8 which is 325 days out. At midnight PDT tonight (in a couple of hours) the AS website will show JL availability for 6/9. I do not know if this is limited to the website. Did you try calling it in?

I don't think that is the issue, because on Friday 7/7/17, I was able to book 4 seats in economy for 6/10/18 (even though 6/9/18 was not available) . and you can also see that 6/11-6/14 are all available.

only 6/9 is not available. AS had no good explanation other than that JL just gives them whatever they have with no rhyme or reason.

skimthetrees Jul 18, 2017 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 28578119)
I don't think that is the issue, because on Friday 7/7/17, I was able to book 4 seats in economy for 6/10/18 (even though 6/9/18 was not available) . and you can also see that 6/11, 6/12, etc is all available.

only 6/9 is not available. AS had no good explanation other than that JL just gives them whatever they have with no rhyme or reason.

I see what you mean about the 6/11, 6/12, etc. That is new to me. Have you tried calling in for the 6/9 dates? Maybe it is just a website glitch?

Even so, based on my previous experience I would expect if availability shows up on BA's site for 6/9 after midnight tonight it should show on AS. I could be wrong but that is the pattern I have seen in the past.

Keep in mind that BA will only show a max of 4 seats for JL even if there are more available. Using my Jedi powers I see 5 economy seats available on 6/9 SFO-HND and I fully expect those to show after midnight tonight. I would try for them then.

kayexalate Jul 18, 2017 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 28578136)
I see what you mean about the 6/11, 6/12, etc. That is new to me. Have you tried calling in for the 6/9 dates? Maybe it is just a website glitch?

Even so, based on my previous experience I would expect if availability shows up on BA's site for 6/9 after midnight tonight it should show on AS. I could be wrong but that is the pattern I have seen in the past.

Yeah, AS partner award booking desk wasn't much help. they said they only see what we see and nothing more. They had no good explanation. AS' website is really glitchy. If you search by month calendar vs. week calendar you get diff't results.

And often those results are incorrect. if you search the calendar view, it shows 6/9 available for 35k, but when you click on it, nothing is available. and on the week view it often shows higher award tickets, but then if you go back to calendar view and then click on the date you want, a lower mileage seat may be available.

Regarding the BA website, they show seats on JL through 6/14/18, so the same as AS.

hungarianhc Jul 18, 2017 11:52 pm

Is there any way to fly to Japan from the USA and then route back to Hawaii on JAL on a single tawaed ticket? I'm guessing no... But figured I'd check!

skimthetrees Jul 19, 2017 12:01 am

Originally Posted by kayexalate (Post 28578119)

I actually was waiting for some inventory 6/8 that was not available until today which aligned with the pattern I had been following and based on that pattern I expect 6/9 to be available on AS after midnight tonight. I am curious about this 6/9 so we'll see what happens after midnight tonight.

rustykettel Jul 19, 2017 12:13 am

Originally Posted by hungarianhc (Post 28578161)
Is there any way to fly to Japan from the USA and then route back to Hawaii on JAL on a single tawaed ticket? I'm guessing no... But figured I'd check!

Unlikely, unless there's a glitch. Alaska only has AS, VX, & AA as options for a single USA-Hawaii award. Any other routings would be two or more awards.