Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consume your own alcohol?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I'm not saying that the F service couldn't stand improvement but trying to justify violating a CFR by saying that it's because AS doesn't provide PDB service isn't worth even discussing. If the F service doesn't meet your expectations then let the company know. You can do that in several ways.
Spot on.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm not saying that the F service couldn't stand improvement but trying to justify violating a CFR by saying that it's because AS doesn't provide PDB service isn't worth even discussing. If the F service doesn't meet your expectations then let the company know. You can do that in several ways.
I don't think anyone is advocating violating the CFR. That said, I don't think that most customers even know what the CFR is.

I think that there is a case to be made that this announcement, which is unique to AS among U.S. carriers, may be more necessary on AS than on other U.S. carriers due to the deficiencies in the AS product. In other words, the announcement may be more necessary on AS than elsewhere, since the problem may be bigger on AS than on other carriers.

If First Class customers flying AS know they have to bring a pillow, blanket, and a tablet on board to bring the product closer to DL's standards, what's stopping them from bringing a beverage?

Personally, I typically bring a coffee with me on board AS flights because of the lack of PDB. My travel companion also brings a bright red Delta blanket. It's just part of our ritual when flying AS to close some of the gaps in the product.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I don't think anyone is advocating violating the CFR. That said, I don't think that most customers even know what the CFR is.

I think that there is a case to be made that this announcement, which is unique to AS among U.S. carriers, may be more necessary on AS than on other U.S. carriers due to the deficiencies in the AS product. In other words, the announcement may be more necessary on AS than elsewhere, since the problem may be bigger on AS than on other carriers.

If First Class customers flying AS know they have to bring a pillow, blanket, and a tablet on board to bring the product closer to DL's standards, what's stopping them from bringing a beverage?

Personally, I typically bring a coffee with me on board AS flights because of the lack of PDB. My travel companion also brings a bright red Delta blanket. It's just part of our ritual when flying AS to close some of the gaps in the product.
For whatever it's worth, the overwhelming majority of people found to be drinking their own liquor on a flight are in the Coach cabin. The announcement was made because incidents of people drinking their own liquor is on the rise. I have a large group of friends at other airlines (including Delta) that are experiencing the same. Alaska's answer is to offer a reminder in the announcement because it is believed that most of the people drinking their own really don't understand that it's not allowed. Many bloggers and travel writers advocate bringing your own and offer hints on how to do this in order to save money by having to purchase it on board. I think this is why we're seeing this more often. Honestly, if someone in First Class brought their own and asked if they could drink it, I would probably offer to serve it up for them so that we're not violating a CFR and they are able to enjoy the beverage of their choice. The logistics of doing this in the Coach cabin with so many more people are impossible. First Class is more manageable - but arguably, it's still not what they company would prefer as the policy is a blanket policy so that there is no confusion. In any case, I don't think anyone in First Class is sneaking a little hooch on so they can have their own PDB. It's just so unnecessary.

You keep mentioning people bringing a tablet on board. Alaska provides tablets on any flight over 3 hours (with the exception of OMA for some reason). On flights shorter then that, yes, you should bring your own tablet or iPhone type of device to access entertainment. I know some people don't have smart phones but the vast majority do.

Please continue to write to Alaska about your disappointment in the First Class product. I can scream it from the roof tops but when it comes from someone that's actually paying for a ticket it gets a lot more attention.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

I don't see anything in this FAA regulation about whether the pre-flight announcement on Alaska flights is new, which was the original intent of the question. I think we established early on in the thread that it is a new announcement.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:31 pm

My memories a bit fuzzy, but I seem to recall about 12-14 years ago on a flight from SFO to SJD filled with a young group of 8 PAX in F going to a wedding, in which the best man asked if they could open a bottle of champagne on the flight. The FA said sure, just give me the bottle and I'll take care of it.

We thought that was quite nice, and we were also offered a glass. But since it was still before noon, declined.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS
AS Flyer mentioned tablets offered on all flights over 3 hours , OMA exception.
Actually, not true. We have been in F on flights to and from Mexico over 3 hours long and tablets are never on board. We just know not to expect them.
Crew say they don't know why , but Gogo access may have something to do with it.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
AS Flyer mentioned tablets offered on all flights over 3 hours , OMA exception.
Actually, not true. We have been in F on flights to and from Mexico over 3 hours long and tablets are never on board. We just know not to expect them.
Crew say they don't know why , but Gogo access may have something to do with it.
Maybe I should have said 3.5 hours, yet still there are exceptions. All Skywest and Horizon operated flights, OMA-SEA and ZIH-LAX. Beyond that, all other flights offer free tablets in F.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Can you blame the non-status pax sitting in Y cabin for sneaking in minis, after they have to pay for all baggage fees, change fees, etc, before they can print their BPs, and then still have to pay for $6+ for a drink enroute?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
Can you blame the non-status pax sitting in Y cabin for sneaking in minis, after they have to pay for all baggage fees, change fees, etc, before they can print their BPs, and then still have to pay for $6+ for a drink enroute?
Yes. Yes I can. It's not like having a drink is a requirement when you fly.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:17 am

Yes. Yes I can. It's not like having a drink is a requirement when you fly.
Nor is cabin pressurization strictly *required*; it just makes the experience bearable for all involved.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by VibeGuy
Nor is cabin pressurization strictly *required*; it just makes the experience bearable for all involved.
At the altitudes flown, yes it is necessary.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
wow this thread is all over the place
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by VibeGuy
if you want to breathe, cabin pressurization is required. Alcohol is not.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
if you want to breathe, cabin pressurization is required. Alcohol is not.
+1....I've never thought flying at high altitudes and alcohol were a good combination anyway.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I know Jet Blue will allow you to drink your own as long as they serve it. As far as I'm aware, Southwest and United both do not do this per their policy. If someone did it as a courtesy, against company policy, that was a bonus for you. I've seen a co-worker at Alaska tell a passenger they would allow them to drink their own liquor as long as they served it to them, but that's against the company policy.
Does anybody have any recent experience bringing wine onboard, and having a FA serve it to you (in F)?
I'll soon be flying through PDX, and would like to buy a bottle at Caper's. Caper's will still sell you a bottle of wine using PP as long as you open it there. I'd like to take the rest of the bottle onboard, and have the F FA serve that to me (instead of the standard F wine).
Not sure if it will fly with the FA (no pun intended?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.