FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Consume your own alcohol? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1761836-consume-your-own-alcohol.html)

Travero Apr 25, 2016 2:48 pm

Consume your own alcohol?

Starting last week, I've noticed that the pre-flight announcements include an admonition that per FAA rules, passengers are not permitted to consume their own alcohol on the flight. This has been consistent on 3-4 flights, and I don't remember ever hearing it before last week.

Is this new? Were there any recent incidents that triggered the updated language? And, most importantly, what am I now supposed to do with all my quart-sized bags packed full of mini bottles?

98103 Apr 25, 2016 2:51 pm

You drink them once you get to your destination (beats those mini-bar fees). Does anyone still do minibars?

However, I believe this has always been a Federal Aviation Regulation.

Eastbay1K Apr 25, 2016 2:53 pm

I thought the reg was that it had to be served by an FA, not that it couldn't be your own.

3Cforme Apr 25, 2016 2:56 pm

14CFR § 121.575 Alcoholic beverages.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

You are correct unless there's a very recent update.

The statement heard by the OP may indicate it's Alaska's policy not to serve anything it hasn't catered.

Travero Apr 25, 2016 2:57 pm

Fair, but why is Alaska now announcing it before every flight? There has to be a pretty good story behind it...

Chugach Apr 25, 2016 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Travero (Post 26533824)
Fair, but why is Alaska now announcing it before every flight? There has to be a pretty good story behind it...

Probably has something to do with the fact that you can buy a growler or bottle of wine behind security at quite a few AS airports. Since traveling increases the stupidity quotient of many people, my guess is somebody thought it would be a great idea to uncork a bottle somewhere over Alturas.

missamo80 Apr 25, 2016 3:27 pm

I asked my FA about this on my flight last week. It's new within the last month because they had numerous cases in a row where people were drinking alcohol they snuck onboard and causing a ruckus.

Neil

PV_Premier Apr 25, 2016 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 26533946)
I asked my FA about this on my flight last week. It's new within the last month because they had numerous cases in a row where people were drinking alcohol they snuck onboard and causing a ruckus.

Neil

my bad again, everybody :o:o

ncorman Apr 25, 2016 6:25 pm

I started hearing this announcement on flights in mid-March, always gets a chuckle which also indicates those actually listening.

mbluecpa Apr 25, 2016 8:47 pm

Yes, I'd noticed that this is new on my past few flights. I did overhear two FAs on my SEA-ORD flight this morning discussing how this was new...they were also talking about the "no plugging things into the inflight power during take off and landing" announcement though I didn't get the context.

jpdx Apr 25, 2016 9:04 pm

Also noticed this on my AS flights of the last few weeks. I think the announcement is new (on AS), but the rule is not.

channa Apr 26, 2016 9:27 am

Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 26533946)

Neil

Maybe if they didn't charge 8 bucks for a mini that cost them 50 cents, people would be less inclined to bring stuff on board. Just sayin'...

jrl767 Apr 26, 2016 9:39 am

Originally Posted by mbluecpa (Post 26535214)
Yes, I'd noticed that this is new on my past few flights. I did overhear two FAs on my SEA-ORD flight this morning discussing how this was new...they were also talking about the "no plugging things into the inflight power during take off and landing" announcement though I didn't get the context.

your iPad or phone power cord can apparently pose a tripping hazard when it extends across the space between your seat and the seat in front to plug into the power receptacle ... of course this is moot if the device is in the seat back pocket, or the receptacle is at your seat, but it's easier to just impose a blanket restriction

missamo80 Apr 26, 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 26537410)
Maybe if they didn't charge 8 bucks for a mini that cost them 50 cents, people would be less inclined to bring stuff on board. Just sayin'...

Yeah, that's why I bring my own beer to bars too. I can't stand paying $8 for a pint when I can get a bottle from the store for a couple of bucks.

:rolleyes:

Neil

OO-SLC-CR9 Apr 26, 2016 10:49 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 26537470)
your iPad or phone power cord can apparently pose a tripping hazard when it extends across the space between your seat and the seat in front to plug into the power receptacle ... of course this is moot if the device is in the seat back pocket, or the receptacle is at your seat, but it's easier to just impose a blanket restriction

IIRC that Apple device (I don't remember if it was an iPhone or iPad) had the battery explode in it during take off or landing recently too... It wasn't during cruise...