Wiki Posts
Search

Consume your own alcohol?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by missamo80
Yeah, that's why I bring my own beer to bars too. I can't stand paying $8 for a pint when I can get a bottle from the store for a couple of bucks.

Neil
Different analogy. A plane is not a bar. People go to a bar to drink.

The airlines should share some blame in this, that's all. If drinks weren't as pricey, people wouldn't be tempted to sneak their own stuff in. If they sneak it in, it's likely in larger quantities than they'd be served legitimately.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by channa

The airlines should share some blame in this, that's all. If drinks weren't as pricey, people wouldn't be tempted to sneak their own stuff in. If they sneak it in, it's likely in larger quantities than they'd be served legitimately.
A plane offers a bar service. The people tempted to sneak things in would sneak them in whether the drink was $4 or $7.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by channa

Totally agree with Eastbay. That said, people aren't usually sneaking in large quantities for consumption on board, they're sneaking in three or four minis and cracking them open on-board. Here's the problem - we have no idea how much one has consumed when they're drinking they're own. Maybe they had a couple drinks at the airport bar before getting on but didn't seem intoxicated at that point. Once on-board they crack open three mini's in the first hour and are drinking, unbeknownst to the crew. Next thing you know, you have a loud, drunk passenger that becomes an annoyance to those around or, in worst case scenarios, someone that is belligerent and combative with the crew or other passengers. Intoxicated people and flying often don't go well together and frequently, the effects of alcohol can be amplified at altitude. When the crew is serving you, they have the ability (and the responsibility) to stop serving you when you show signs of intoxication. They can't do that if they don't even know you're drinking your own little bottles. Hence, the reason you are not allowed to consume alcohol not served by a Flight Attendant. To further that, Alaska, and most U.S. airlines, won't serve a passenger their own alcohol.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Totally agree with Eastbay. That said, people aren't usually sneaking in large quantities for consumption on board, they're sneaking in three or four minis and cracking them open on-board. Here's the problem - we have no idea how much one has consumed when they're drinking they're own. Maybe they had a couple drinks at the airport bar before getting on but didn't seem intoxicated at that point. Once on-board they crack open three mini's in the first hour and are drinking, unbeknownst to the crew. Next thing you know, you have a loud, drunk passenger that becomes an annoyance to those around or, in worst case scenarios, someone that is belligerent and combative with the crew or other passengers. Intoxicated people and flying often don't go well together and frequently, the effects of alcohol can be amplified at altitude. When the crew is serving you, they have the ability (and the responsibility) to stop serving you when you show signs of intoxication. They can't do that if they don't even know you're drinking your own little bottles. Hence, the reason you are not allowed to consume alcohol not served by a Flight Attendant. To further that, Alaska, and most U.S. airlines, won't serve a passenger their own alcohol.
100% agree with this policy....I've never thought alcohol and flying were ever a good combination, but that's a subject for another thread....
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:53 pm

I'm sure that AS making a large profit on inflight alcohol sales has *nothing* to do with the increased enforcement of banning carry on.

Next thing you know, carrying on food will be banned.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
I'm sure that AS making a large profit on inflight alcohol sales has *nothing* to do with the increased enforcement of banning carry on.

Next thing you know, carrying on food will be banned.
actually, no, it doesn't. It has more to do with the increased numbers of people bringing their own minis on the plane and becoming intoxicated. Believe what you want but seeing it first hand is all the proof I need. If you want to believe that it's because Alaska wants to make more money on their own sales, that's definitely your prerogative.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
My bottle is for mouth wash,...it can be hidden...so a Virgin Mary..

They give you all you want,
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I was on the 10pm SEA/PDX flight recently and the guy next to me ate a whole can of Marajuana mints,they were 5 milligram THC pills according the cover and he ate 20. Guy could barely get off the plane down the steps. Not the first time I have seen that out of the PNW and I am sure we will see a lot more. Not sure how AS or any airline can monitor that.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:13 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

But let us always be truthful among ourselves, the primary benefit to AS as a corporation will be in increased alcohol sales.

[...]

this strikes me as primarily a revenue driven move. And, among a sample size of three relatively rare AS flyers with whom I've recently shared an AS flight, all three, when polled, indicated that they considered the announcement primarily revenue driven.

[...]

the general public considers it primarily a money grub
Sometimes a rose is just a rose.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:24 am

We have a small handful of reports of overly intoxicated pax over the past few years
I'm just curious where it is you're getting your reports from? The FAA? Flyer Talk? The news? Why would you even be privy to "reports of overly intoxicated pax"? Being a frequent flyer doesn't give you unfettered insight into what goes on behind the scenes. You're clearly firm in your beliefs and I am clear in where I know this came from. I've no doubt that many consider the FAA RULE (not the airline's) something the airlines have made up so they can shake you down for more $$$. Considering, however, that this rule was around back when airlines were giving away free food and even free booze on some flights, it would seem that it stems from something else. This same rule also applies at Horizon, where they give away free beer and wine on many flights - nevertheless, I'm sure that many people think it's a money grab. It's also not a rule that AS (or any other airline) just recently started enforcing. Ten years ago, if you had handed a FA several empty mini bottles of liquor that were not served by the airline, they would have told you the same thing - you are not allowed to consume your own alcohol onboard. Today, if you were sitting in First Class, cracking open your own mini's you would also be told that you're unable to consume your own alcohol. The rule also applies to international flights on airlines where you may be served free beer, wine and spirits. Nothing to gain there.

Last edited by AS Flyer; Apr 28, 2016 at 8:37 am
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

But let us always be truthful among ourselves, the primary benefit to AS as a corporation will be in increased alcohol sales.
... as spread out among a greater number of passengers, not a small handful of passengers drinking themselves into oblivion.

The announcement gives an immediate tool for action against a passenger (i.e., without a debate, opening the inflight magazine, etc). The "I didn't know" goes out the window.

I'm the last one to be "morality police" about alcohol consumption on board. I'll be having "my fair share" later today . However, in my "limited view and experience of American society" (not much more than 50 years of experience) including having flown a couple of million miles, my NSH opinion is that those who bring booze on board with be a tiny tiny small percentage of those trying to save a couple of bucks, and a large large huge percentage of those who will not be satisfied by the pace and quantity of alcohol service on board.

Lest you forget how many minibottles of booze that the company must sell to make up for a single diversion caused by an out of control intoxicated passenger.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:44 am

The rule exists so an airline has the legality to cut someone off.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by jrl767
your iPad or phone power cord can apparently pose a tripping hazard when it extends across the space between your seat and the seat in front to plug into the power receptacle ... of course this is moot if the device is in the seat back pocket, or the receptacle is at your seat, but it's easier to just impose a blanket restriction
I overhead a FA telling a customer he had to unplug because "We need all the energy going to the engines."

I actually laughed out loud at the idea that there'd be any connectivity between the power system in the seats and the flight systems.

But I guess it's easier than opening the gloomy topic of emergency evacuations and trip hazards
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by nearlysober
I overhead a FA telling a customer he had to unplug because "We need all the energy going to the engines."

I actually laughed out loud at the idea that there'd be any connectivity between the power system in the seats and the flight systems.
that is hilarious! (especially to this former Boeing flight test engineer!)
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:26 pm

While there's not a direct correlation between thrust and wattage, I'm pretty sure a 737 can take off safely with half the thrust missing. See also the procedures for engine separation on takeoff. Also, if all the power is required, let's stop throttling back out of SNA and get me out of Orange County all the faster, shall we?

Airlines don't understand how "little white lies", gross oversimplifications and outright whoppers affect their credibility and brand image. When you make this stuff up, it indicates a corporate culture that is willing to make up maintenance procedures or falsify training logs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.