Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consume your own alcohol?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by VibeGuy
Airlines don't understand how "little white lies", gross oversimplifications and outright whoppers affect their credibility and brand image. When you make this stuff up, it indicates a corporate culture that is willing to make up maintenance procedures or falsify training logs.
Or maybe the FA was just kidding.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A plane offers a bar service. The people tempted to sneak things in would sneak them in whether the drink was $4 or $7.
And many airlines also offer paid food service, yet I can bring food onboard. Do not have to "sneak it in".

Given that food can be brought onboard, the common restriction against bringing F&B into an establishment that sells such obviously does not apply.

I do completely agree with FAA rules though. I just disagree that anybody bringing their own is "stupid", just ignorant.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by dayone
Or maybe the FA was just kidding.
Indeed, I had an FA say this to my seat opponent once and we all had a laugh. It was a lighthearted way to ask the gentleman to disconnect.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Just give you "container" of booze to the FA and they "may" serve it. Make it legal!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I saw someone's bag of minis get taken away once on an AS flight. I don't know how they got so many minis through TSA. More than 2 kippie bags worth
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Travero
Starting last week, I've noticed that the pre-flight announcements include an admonition that per FAA rules, passengers are not permitted to consume their own alcohol on the flight. This has been consistent on 3-4 flights, and I don't remember ever hearing it before last week.

Is this new? Were there any recent incidents that triggered the updated language? And, most importantly, what am I now supposed to do with all my quart-sized bags packed full of mini bottles?
It probably had something to do with the fights on the ghetto Southworst airline. It's always been something you weren't allowed to technically do.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ou81two
It probably had something to do with the fights on the ghetto Southworst airline.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/04/entert...ndants-charge/

British Airways

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2490258

United Airlines

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/l...t-three-cathay

Cathay Pacific

It's not specific to any airline; people get drunk and behave badly worldwide. So if you're wondering why we can't have nice things, this is why; people being stupid.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:15 pm

It's not specific to any one airline, but the ghetto ones tend to have it more often. Ask folks in beach going towns in Europe about their opinions of Ryanair.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I too had noticed these newer specific mentions of using your own alcohol on board.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by missamo80
Yeah, that's why I bring my own beer to bars too. I can't stand paying $8 for a pint when I can get a bottle from the store for a couple of bucks.

Neil
The local bar I visit also has morons that bring their own drinks for their first drink. You should be ashamed. Stay home
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
I don't know how they got so many minis through TSA. More than 2 kippie bags worth
Probably because the TSA is somewhat worthless. The only liquids they seem to find in my bag is a full water bottle. Never travel size liquids that I "forget" to put in my 3-1-1 bag. I presume it's the only shape on the xray machine they're trained to recognize.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i don't want to pay $16 or $24 or $32 (depending on the length of the flight) to get a buzz on the way to my vacation if my upgrade doesn't clear. but, i think i can count the number of times i've "mixed my own" in flight on one hand.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i don't want to pay $16 or $24 or $32 (depending on the length of the flight) to get a buzz on the way to my vacation if my upgrade doesn't clear. but, i think i can count the number of times i've "mixed my own" in flight on one hand.
First of all, $7 for a drink isn't a bad price. It's similar to the price of a drink in many bars and there's no gratuity to add so you save that. But moreover, why is it even necessary to "get a buzz" on the way to anywhere? I just don't understand that.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:10 am

Heard the announcement today on AS and the exact same announcement last weekend on AA. Seems like it may be a new announcement across carriers.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
But moreover, why is it even necessary to "get a buzz" on the way to anywhere? I just don't understand that.
Why is it necessary to hawk a credit card at me on 7/10 flights?

The answer to both questions is the same -

Because (I/You/We) Can

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.