Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dawnchorus
When I try to purchase and skip seating, it just says space on partner flight cannot be confirmed.
That's frustrating. My only experience is with that is using AS miles for Qantas where you cannot choose your seat (for economy class awards) and after purchasing you have to log on to Qantas manage your bookings and pay $30 to select a seat.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
The award KLM flights have all disappeared. Maybe it was a glitch or miscommunication. I ended up just finding a flight from SEA to LAX to LON.

Next question. I am going to book two separate flights instead of using LON as my connection bc BA was $327 to AMS instead of AS/AA's $19 to LON. Now, I need to book a flight from LON to AMS and will book either BA or KLM. Am I going to need to check my luggage and go through airport security again? Would 2 hours be a sufficient amount of time to catch the next flight?

Thanks again for all of your help and advice!
Old May 4, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
The award KLM flights have all disappeared. Maybe it was a glitch or miscommunication. I ended up just finding a flight from SEA to LAX to LON.

Next question. I am going to book two separate flights instead of using LON as my connection bc BA was $327 to AMS instead of AS/AA's $19 to LON. Now, I need to book a flight from LON to AMS and will book either BA or KLM. Am I going to need to check my luggage and go through airport security again? Would 2 hours be a sufficient amount of time to catch the next flight?

Old May 5, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by dawnchorus

At LHR, if your bags are checked through, you will arrive at T3 and follow signs to international connections to T5 (if on BA). Visit the connection desk to check in to your connecting flight and collect your boarding pass. You will then clear security and proceed to your gate. You do not need to enter the UK.

If your bags aren't checked through, you will likely have to go through passport control, collect your bags, take the train to T5, check in, and re-clear security.

Be sure to leave plenty of time as LHR connections can easily take 60 minutes when flying out of the same terminal.

Regarding interlining your bags on separate tickets:
Alaska may not allow you to check your bag through as it is on separate tickets. If this is the case, AA should let you recheck it at LAX and interline it as they are oneworld partners.

Personally, I would never connect at LHR on separate tickets. There are too many things that can go wrong.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:31 pm

Question about seat

I know everyone is prob. Tired of the same questions, but here it is:

I'm mvp, but wife isn't. I booked a flight for her and couldn't reserve the 'preferred' seats (I know they're available I checked under my plan). Will cs change them for me if I call or does she have to wait till they release at 24 hrs prior to flight?

Thanks,

First time newbie here!
Old May 7, 2016, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Jsonjnkns

I'm mvp, but wife isn't. I booked a flight for her and couldn't reserve the 'preferred' seats (I know they're available I checked under my plan). Will cs change them for me if I call or does she have to wait till they release at 24 hrs prior to flight?

Thanks,

First time newbie here!
Never hurts to call and ask. But I don't think so if you are not traveling with her. I had a great experience with CS once though. Traveling back from Hawaii with 3 friends (we were 2 + 2 on different reservations using companion passes - I am MVP and they are not) and I had linked our reservations online then called CS to ask if we could all sit together in the exit row (usually only reserved for elite members).

Despite being the only one who is MVP (1 out of 4) and that there were actually two reservations I was really surprised and happy when the agent let us all sit together. It might have been a no if I wasn't traveling as well but like I said you could luck out with a nice agent!
Old May 7, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ssk244
Never hurts to call and ask. But I don't think so if you are not traveling with her. I had a great experience with CS once though. Traveling back from Hawaii with 3 friends (we were 2 + 2 on different reservations using companion passes - I am MVP and they are not) and I had linked our reservations online then called CS to ask if we could all sit together in the exit row (usually only reserved for elite members).

Despite being the only one who is MVP (1 out of 4) and that there were actually two reservations I was really surprised and happy when the agent let us all sit together. It might have been a no if I wasn't traveling as well but like I said you could luck out with a nice agent!
Thank you ssk224!! I'm traveling with my wife (she's got status with me, just not with Alaska) on separate reservations next week and just assumed that she would have to wait until OLCI to move up to preferred. Called Reservations and they moved her up immediately without any issues.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Thank you ssk224!! I'm traveling with my wife (she's got status with me, just not with Alaska) on separate reservations next week and just assumed that she would have to wait until OLCI to move up to preferred. Called Reservations and they moved her up immediately without any issues.
Yay! Love AS CS like that. I tried to do the same thing with American and they said no. Also, whenever I travel on a different reservation (but same trip) with friends/family I always link the reservations online. Not really sure what that does but I suppose it's good in the event of delays or if passengers get bumped for the agents to know that you are traveling with someone on a different reservation. Glad it worked out for you!
Old May 7, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by Jsonjnkns

Thanks,

First time newbie here!
Just to be clear, are you traveling with her? The benefit if only for you and traveling companions.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi all. Apologies if this is an often repeated question, but just wanted to confirm.

Based in London, UK. Is only option for Europe Asia awards (single award) Europe-HKG with no onwards connection or can I get to elsewhere in Asia or Australia on one award from LHR?

Thanks
Old May 10, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by P.henrik
Based in London, UK. Is only option for Europe Asia awards (single award) Europe-HKG with no onwards connection or can I get to elsewhere in Asia or Australia on one award from LHR?
The only option for Europe-Asia is CX to HKG only, yes. Other destinations would require a second intra-Asia (on CX, HU, or KE) or Asia-Australia (CX only) award.

The Mileage Plan redemption options are not great if you don't live in North America.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Partner Award Availability 355 or 330 Days out?

I read somewhere that Alaska will actually book partner award seats 355 days out when they become available by the partner airline. ( ie. BA)

True?
Old May 10, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by david4455
I read somewhere that Alaska will actually book partner award seats 355 days out when they become available by the partner airline. ( ie. BA)

True?
I dont know who gave that information. You used to but it was locked down. Well you used to be able to on phone calls only but someone bragged about that on FT and one of the IT people (not Missy) commented that they took care if it.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CDKing
I dont know who gave that information. You used to but it was locked down. Well you used to be able to on phone calls only but someone bragged about that on FT and one of the IT people (not Missy) commented that they took care if it.
Thanks.... I read it on a blog but it was 3 years old.

View for the Wing ( May 22, 2013)

The lone exception to this rule I can think of is Alaska Airlines. Even though Alaska loads its schedules 331 days out, you can use Alaska Airlines miles to book partner flights whenever those partner flights are loaded. You can’t include Alaska Airlines flights in the itinerary until 331 days out, of course, so if you book a Qantas or Cathay Pacific flight immediately upon schedule opening you’ll have to call back later when the Alaska schedules open to add any domestic feeder flights to your award.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:12 pm

Just in the thinking stage right now, but would like to book Seattle-Fiji via Seoul on Korean Airlines, using Alaska miles.
Want to do a side trip to Japan from Seoul, before continuing on from Seoul to Fiji.

Read on a (non-Alaska Airlines webpage) that "Alaska allows two stopovers and two open jaws on round-trip international award trips,
and you can even add a stopover on a one-way international award ticket."
Is this still the case?

In other words, would my side trip to Japan (for 7-10 days, using BA miles) in the middle of my main itinerary be allowed/do-able?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.