Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

Just seems like that time again!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:28 am

I'll go first... (I did try searching to find the answer to this question)

Here is my situation, any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!

I am a Diamond with Delta. I have Alaska miles. I want to book an Alaska award ticket which has a mixture of Delta and Alaska flights. I want to receive Delta benefits on the Delta flights (baggage, economy comfort, SkyPriority boarding, etc)

When I log into my Alaska account and try to book the ticket it automatically puts my Alaska FF# in. I tried booking for another traveler and it leaves the FF# blank, but only Alaska is listed under program with no option to change.

Is it possible to book the award ticket using my Alaska Miles and then put in my Delta SkyMiles number so I get my Diamond benefits on the Delta flights?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Burj
Is it possible to book the award ticket using my Alaska Miles and then put in my Delta SkyMiles number so I get my Diamond benefits on the Delta flights?
I hope my recent experience applies; I just took a flight last week using AS miles, redeemed on CX, and wanted to put in my AA number for the benefits. The AS agents I interacted with (the original booking + date change) couldn't change/replace/remove my AS number. My guess is that it has something to do with being tied to the miles coming out of my account.

So I simply got the confirmation numbers for CX and used the CX website to update my FF number. I did notice that when I changed my booking, the AS number went back into the record; just had to go back in and put my AA number again.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:46 pm
Community Director Emerita

Where do I find the list of award fees?

I just booked LAX-DXB-JNB the furthest date out. Thus, I couldn't get the DXB layover that I want. Can I add it later and at what cost?

I was only able to get DXB-JNB in C though I have LAX-DXB in F. Is there a fee to change DXB-JNB to F should I subsequently find availability?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Amex, AA, BA, Delta, True Blue, Hyatt, Fairmont, Marriott, HH, IHG
Question Companion ticket plus upgrade

Is there a procedure for booking two seats, using a companion fare for one of them, and purchasing upgrades to first class at the same time. We don't want to fly the 6 hours from MCO to SEA economy class, and wondering about options.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Where do I find the list of award fees?

I just booked LAX-DXB-JNB the furthest date out. Thus, I couldn't get the DXB layover that I want. Can I add it later and at what cost?

I was only able to get DXB-JNB in C though I have LAX-DXB in F. Is there a fee to change DXB-JNB to F should I subsequently find availability?
List of all "Optional Fees" as required by DOT

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ices-fees.aspx

Change/Cancellation Fee is same for award and revenue so its not broken out separately. no change fees outside 60 days from travel for everyone. $125 within 60 days. i'm not completely sure about changes to cabin when you already booked on F award
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thanks, CDKing, that's what I needed.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:59 pm
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
does AS have a 4 segment rule required for status?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by bigjimbo99
Is there a procedure for booking two seats, using a companion fare for one of them, and purchasing upgrades to first class at the same time. We don't want to fly the 6 hours from MCO to SEA economy class, and wondering about options.
Do you have any status?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by richh1833
does AS have a 4 segment rule required for status?
Not yet.

They choose to reward loyalty through lower tier qualifications by sticking to AS metal. ^
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:40 pm

Oops...posted this in the old thread..

Moving to AS from DL this year. I've flown in J on AS before, but cannot remember this for some reason. In what order do they serve meals in J? I'm used to FEBO and want to make sure I still get my preferred meals.

Any word on when the pre-order of meals will be available?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MissJ
Oops...posted this in the old thread..

Moving to AS from DL this year. I've flown in J on AS before, but cannot remember this for some reason. In what order do they serve meals in J? I'm used to FEBO and want to make sure I still get my preferred meals.

Any word on when the pre-order of meals will be available?
Pretty much front-to-back;left-to-right is more hit-or-miss, but there's a slight favoring (IME) of the A side first.

No word on pre-ordering that I've heard of; perhaps others might know.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:06 pm

Thanks!

I saw this and got excited https://www.alaskaair.com/order-food/

I'm in row 2 on my next flight so I should be fine. Just don't want to end up near the end since I'm a relatively picky eater.

So, what goes well with the Hazelnut Espresso Vodka?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MissJ
Thanks!

I saw this and got excited https://www.alaskaair.com/order-food/

I'm in row 2 on my next flight so I should be fine. Just don't want to end up near the end since I'm a relatively picky eater.

So, what goes well with the Hazelnut Espresso Vodka?
Interesting! I hadn't seen that before (but I've been somewhat disconnect for the last few weeks). But yes, Row 2 is fine for getting first pick.

And the correct answer? Either ice, more vodka, or both
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
A frriend of mine, with a United Mileageplus Explorer card, bought a United ticket where the return segment was on Alaska Airlines - apparently they were given priority boarding (on the Alaska flight) - is this standard practice? (And if so, does the Explorer card get you free luggage for Alaska flights, as long as the ticket is bought from United?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.