Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by agjil
Hello,
this is my first year having AS elite status (75K), and I'm wondering if the partner airline fees for award tickets ($12.50 for each one-way ticket) are waived for MVP Golds and 75Ks.
No waiver, everyone pays those.

Golds and 75Ks do have the $15 call center fee waived if it's a booking that needs to be done over the phone, though.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kieron
No waiver, everyone pays those.

Golds and 75Ks do have the $15 call center fee waived if it's a booking that needs to be done over the phone, though.
Thank you for the info!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by paladin732
Hi!

I have a flight next Saturday that's booked through AA operated on Alaska (codeshare)

I have both an Alaska Credit Card and the AAdvantage card. Which frequent flyer number should I put on my booking to get the free bag at check-in?
Originally Posted by jinglish
AA, since AA sold it.
Originally Posted by flymonthly
Having done this dozens of times, I've learned that baggage fees are from the Operating Carrier (AS in this case). OP needs to put in his AS Mileage Plan # to get the free bag.
flymonthly is correct. Credit card baggage fee waivers do not follow the DOT regs relating to which carriers baggage fees apply. If you are on AS plane, the BofA Signature will waive first checked bag fee. If you are on AA plane the AADvantage card waives the baggage fee. Who sold the ticket and how the flight is marketed is irrelevant.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Calculon
A few questions... When do you want to go? How many seats? Coach or business? Why not Delta?

My keys to success are:
book way in advance, as far out as possible, like six months or more...
don't expect an ideal itinerary or connection (try more than Rome, and more than Italy - buy another flight/train ticket to get the rest of the way)...

AA only makes their lowest-level inventory available to Alaska.
Thanks, Calculon, for the reply and advice.
Delta would be fine, actually any airline would be, but I was hoping for a routing from Seattle to Europe that would be shorter and simpler, e.g. on AA via Chicago.

The plan would be to go around December 15 or else April 10, in business, two seats, any airline, but hopefully with a not-too-long overall duration of the flight(s).
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by muji
Thanks, Calculon, for the reply and advice.
Delta would be fine, actually any airline would be, but I was hoping for a routing from Seattle to Europe that would be shorter and simpler, e.g. on AA via Chicago.

The plan would be to go around December 15 or else April 10, in business, two seats, any airline, but hopefully with a not-too-long overall duration of the flight(s).
Well, I've never made the trip in winter, but I can imagine that December 15 is getting close to the busy time around Christmas. In case you don't already know... the only issue with Delta is that you have to book it as a round-trip to avoid getting charged too many points (the other half doesn't need to be Delta, but both directions need to be on the same reservation for it to price out correctly).

Delta through MSP (starts next Month, I think), JFK or DTW would all be viable options to Rome, and none are much worse than ORD in terms of distance. Search for those routes (or whatever other ones you find acceptable) specifically, and once you find your trans-Atlantic seats, use multi-city (or book and then call) to add on the rest. Alaska flies to all of those places, so that opens up the possibility of Alaska connecting flights, if needed.

Only you can say what's "not too long" for duration, but with business class saver awards, it's one of the things you often must sacrifice.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by 98Mike
PV hit that nail regarding reward availability. That 25k RT is toast, so this would need to be all cash at this point anyhow. The comp passes will help some anyhow.

Do the comp passes post in about 3 weeks?

Thanks for all the advice. Tough trying to offer advice when someone else's vacation is on the line. The advice helps.
Jetblue has dates available for $157RT from SEA to ANC. Maybe check that out, might be cheaper than two companion fares. They can sign up for a CSP for $500 cashback (50k UR), spend a few K and 4RT tix to ANC would be $128 (4x157-500=$128).

What are their travel dates...
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by bta15
Jetblue has dates available for $157RT from SEA to ANC. Maybe check that out, might be cheaper than two companion fares. They can sign up for a CSP for $500 cashback (50k UR), spend a few K and 4RT tix to ANC would be $128 (4x157-500=$128).

What are their travel dates...
they are starting in BWI, though. at this point, unless they use the WN miles BWI-SEA and then separate tickets onward on AS/DL/B6, the companion fares are likely to be the cheapest path.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
they are starting in BWI, though. at this point, unless they use the WN miles BWI-SEA and then separate tickets onward on AS/DL/B6, the companion fares are likely to be the cheapest path.
Oh, ok. I thought he was saying either BWI or SEA.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Calculon
Delta through MSP (starts next Month, I think), JFK or DTW would all be viable options to Rome
...Search for those routes (or whatever other ones you find acceptable) specifically, and once
you find your trans-Atlantic seats, use multi-city (or book and then call) to add on the rest.
Thanks again. I appreciate the advice.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:34 pm

Question about holiday fares

I am trying to book tickets for a popular travel time in Feb 2017 from Seattle to LIH. I have watched tickets since before they came on sale, and since.

For the dates I want the tickets have never come down in price from full fare refundable. Is this common? Are my choices to either pay this much, switch dates, or abandon trip?

Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
I am trying to book tickets for a popular travel time in Feb 2017 from Seattle to LIH. I have watched tickets since before they came on sale, and since.

For the dates I want the tickets have never come down in price from full fare refundable. Is this common? Are my choices to either pay this much, switch dates, or abandon trip?

Thanks!
Alaska has a Low Fare Guarantee. There is no risk in buying now as, if the price comes down, you submit a low fare guarantee claim on their website and the difference is refunded to your original form of payment provided you have bought a fully refundable fare. If you buy a non-refundable fare, the difference in price goes into your 'wallet' (or a credit cert) which you can use for future purchases.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Finkface
Alaska has a Low Fare Guarantee. There is no risk in buying now as, if the price comes down, you submit a low fare guarantee claim on their website and the difference is refunded to your original form of payment provided you have bought a fully refundable fare. If you buy a non-refundable fare, the difference in price goes into your 'wallet' (or a credit cert) which you can use for future purchases.
Yup one of my favorite things about Alaska! I racked up about $100 worth of credit and used it on a flight to Hawaii.

I use Yapta to track their prices after I've booked flights.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:59 am

I have a flight at 7:00 AM on Sunday from PDX-SEA. My connection, SEA-MCO, is not until 9:20 PM. Will I be able to check my bag all the way in PDX or will I have to pick it up in Seattle.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface

Sorry, meant to add more..

I know about fare guarantee and have used it but I frankly don't fly often so credit might be worth zero to me. Also I am booking with a companion voucher. If I buy a Y fare and a companion fare can I still get cash back if fare goes down?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
Sorry, meant to add more..

I know about fare guarantee and have used it but I frankly don't fly often so credit might be worth zero to me. Also I am booking with a companion voucher. If I buy a Y fare and a companion fare can I still get cash back if fare goes down?
Yes, a companion fare is eleigible for the low fare guarantee. I use it all the time. The primary traveller will get a refund of the fare difference if the fare goes down. The base fare for the companion's ticket doesn't change (i.e. $99 or whatever it is) but there could be a refund of some of the taxes due as the taxes are based on the primary traveller's fare.

And if the fare you buy is fully refundable, then the refund is to the original form of payment. You only get the refund in a credit cert if the fare you've bought is non refundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.