Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:37 pm

Does AS have ANY plans to fix their website for booking rewards. The current system is absolutely USELESS. There are rewards that you find that aren't there.

You have to go all of the way through the booking process to get them. For instance, there are first class on Qantas flights listed in the fall and have been for months. How many hundreds of people have wasted their time trying to book this?

There's no way to filter out mixed flights from being show on the calendar view or day view

There's no way of filtering out different airlines on the calendar view

There's no way to filter to just show direct flights on the calendar view

I can't find anything to book. You have a lot of other people here who pay for expensive ticketing services just because Alaska's IT is so completely inept.

Is there any plan to fix this?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
20 minute guarantee

How do you get the guarantee when there is no agent at baggage claim. Only person I saw at SEA was guy with scanner , scanning bags that were stillming off at 24 minutes? My first bag came at 20-1 and the second at 23+. I looked around for an agent but no one was visible. Flight was 876 from KOA landing at A13.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ou81two
Does AS have ANY plans to fix their website for booking rewards. The current system is absolutely USELESS. There are rewards that you find that aren't there.

I can't find anything to book. You have a lot of other people here who pay for expensive ticketing services just because Alaska's IT is so completely inept.

Is there any plan to fix this?
Another for you. Probably no plans to fix it. Most of the OALs have many similar issues in booking awards as what you describe on AS. You don't have to pay for an "expensive ticketing service". For instance, if you want to book CX, then using the BA search engine is a fairly definitive path to identifying what awards would be available.

It is clear you don't like AS much right now. Perhaps you should go try booking an AF award ticket on DL with a domestic connection to DL metal. Now that will be an unpleasant experience, trust me.

Originally Posted by rkh29
How do you get the guarantee when there is no agent at baggage claim. Only person I saw at SEA was guy with scanner , scanning bags that were stillming off at 24 minutes? My first bag came at 20-1 and the second at 23+. I looked around for an agent but no one was visible. Flight was 876 from KOA landing at A13.
Best practice is to go to the baggage services office, and if no one is there, the ticket counter.

You can get the award after the fact by tweeting AS, sending them an email, or calling customer service. IIRC you only have 24 hours to claim the award, so act quickly via one of those channels.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Silver, DL Gold
Deleted.

Last edited by columnwest; Mar 15, 2016 at 11:20 pm Reason: Moved to separate thread.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ou81two
Does AS have ANY plans to fix their website for booking rewards.
You have been told probably close to a hundred times (no joke). Every time you complain about this same exact thing, it gets moved down the list. Why did you post in flame free? Its not going to stop me from flaming because you know better. The whole purpose of Fame free is to cut down on snark that may keep new members from asking questions. Your has been asked an answered a million times and you know better.

PS. I did just feed you so i'm part of the problem as well as a few others on here.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
You have been told probably close to a hundred times (no joke). Every time you complain about this same exact thing, it gets moved down the list. Why did you post in flame free? Its not going to stop me from flaming because you know better. The whole purpose of Fame free is to cut down on snark that may keep new members from asking questions. Your has been asked an answered a million times and you know better.

PS. I did just feed you so i'm part of the problem as well as a few others on here.
The ignore list feature is a wonderful thing.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

For KOA (and a couple others) I've sent AS an email.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing

Perhaps if more of you fed into this then the program would be better and you could actually find awards. In terms of the other whiny comment here about DL, I can easily find awards on DL to Australia. They actually exist. Unlike the First class awards on the 1st and 8th of November that have been on AS.com.

It's pretty easy for the clueless IT department to build a filter to let you filter the award search to remove mixed searches. Those folks literally have told the customer service department that it's not technically possible. That's in one of the biggest tech cities on the planet. It's not possible to build HTML/JS such that it filters out mixed awards.

Brilliant.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by rkh29
You can call CS within 2 hours of arrival, and apparently Twitter is supposed to work (though I tried tweeting once and they told me to call).
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We'll be flying into SAN from DFW on AA and then connecting to AS for a QX operated flight up to MRY. It appears we shall have to change terminals at SAN (from term #2 to term #1, I think).

So here's the question: will we have to re-clear security at SAN or is it possible to walk between the terminals on the airside?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
So here's the question: will we have to re-clear security at SAN or is it possible to walk between the terminals on the airside?
Re-clear. No airside connection.

The walk between the terminals landside is no problem; there's a terminal shuttle bus, but I've never used it. I'd expect it to be slower than walking.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kieron
Re-clear. No airside connection.

The walk between the terminals landside is no problem; there's a terminal shuttle bus, but I've never used it. I'd expect it to be slower than walking.
Does the MRY flight leave from T1 or the commuter terminal? The walk from T2 to the commuter terminal would be quite long, and more transfer time than normal might be advised.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Does the MRY flight leave from T1 or the commuter terminal? The walk from T2 to the commuter terminal would be quite long, and more transfer time than normal might be advised.
Looks like T1. At least, last time we flew into SAN on the QX operated Q400 from STS we arrived at T1 at what was normally a jet gate (the jetway was not used for our arrival). Good news here is that we'll be in F on AA and will thus deplane first and then move smartly with regard to the connection.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
The commuter terminal closed last year.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kieron
The commuter terminal closed last year.
Best news I've heard in awhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.