Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Sorry to bump my own post, but just wondering what the usual (or other experience with) response time is to an e-mail to MileagePlan regarding missing partner (BA) mileage credit? It's been 4 weeks from my flight and 3 weeks since my email with scanned BP's to them without a response.
It should be pretty quick... I had my missing BA segments posted within 3 days of sending photos of the BPs. I'd shoot them a polite nudge.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:45 am

Question: I have one way booked on Emirates to SGN with a stopover in Dubai for New Years Eve. Now I want to book a return from either Cambodia or Hanoi. The best option is Korean Air but it needs to be a roundtrip. Can I turn this into a roundtrip without harming the Emirates flights? There has not been anything available on CX and I'm not sure when the Japan Airlines award charts will be available. TIA
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Hi, I will be flying AS (Horizon Air) from YYC to SEA next week. Just want to know how early to arrive for check in for a midday flight since I assume immigration for the US is done at YYC. Yes?

Also I cannot see whether there is any on-board food or drink on this short flight?

Thanks for any insights.

BA or bust
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Smiley90
your current-year status lasts until february (-ish?) anyway if you're worried about losing it.
Um, nope? It goes away very shortly after January 1, unlike UA/AA/DL. AS's status year is January 1. There are FT threads on how very shortly after everything's nuked.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ng-status.html

Any upgrades you have in queue ARE preserved, but you won't show as having status in the app and won't be able to use it for post-January 1 bookings until miles post.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Hi, I will be flying AS (Horizon Air) from YYC to SEA next week. Just want to know how early to arrive for check in for a midday flight since I assume immigration for the US is done at YYC. Yes?

Also I cannot see whether there is any on-board food or drink on this short flight?

Thanks for any insights.

BA or bust
US pre-clearance occurs at YYC, and I believe is typically busiest early morning. Nevertheless, I would add in an additional time factor for any US bound flight from YYC in order to pre-clear.

I've flown this flight quite a few times and can confirm that yes there is a drink service, typically including craft brews from the NW and WA / OR wines. I also understand that the midday flight is changing aircraft type to a 737, although I see from the AS website that it hasn't happened yet, and am unsure what impact this will have on catering.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

LAX: incoming & departing flights in the same area?

Are all the incoming and departing AS flights out of LAX in the same area?

Looking to book a SEA-ZIH with a connection in LAX and my choice is either a 55 minute connection or a two hour connection. ( next January)
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by david4455
Are all the incoming and departing AS flights out of LAX in the same area?

Looking to book a SEA-ZIH with a connection in LAX and my choice is either a 55 minute connection or a two hour connection. ( next January)
55 minutes is fine on the outbound with a domestic to international connection at LAX. on the return, with CBP, you might want to have a bit more time. also, for late evening or very early morning arrivals into LAX sometimes you end up at TBIT, which complicates things if you have to connect to the "redeye" 11:30ish PM flight to Seattle, which will leave from T6. generally speaking almost all AS arrivals and departures are from T6.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What happens when you attaining status by the end of New Years Eve? I am sure the system will need a few days to process the flight, so you will be out-of-status for the first week of January?
Correct. It can even be the first couple of weeks: a few days to post, possibly several days for a partner, plus a few more days for the status sweep.

Once the miles do post, you're upgraded to the appropriate status level with the appropriate expiration date (end of the new year, not the new year+1), and GGUs and bonus miles appear if they should. No special handling needed.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I am thinking about status match for Alaska MVP 75K or going for Delta Diamond next year -- I live in LA and currently and have AA Plat status and Exec Plat in three months or so.

Alaska really came into play because it is the only airline that still awards miles based on miles flown and also because of recent Virgin acquisition that has transcon routes. The biggest positive for Delta is that it's SWUs are more valuable than AS.

Earlier this week, I got deeply discounted business fare from SFO to IST for early next year on AF/KLM but ticketed by DAL. Just to double check, if I credit this to Alaska, will I get 1.25x EQMs and RDMs considering that this is an AF/KLM flight sold by Delta?

Also, if I go for status match to MVP 75K, how many RDMs will I get on this 13,000 mile travel?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jediwho
Earlier this week, I got deeply discounted business fare from SFO to IST for early next year on AF/KLM but ticketed by DAL. Just to double check, if I credit this to Alaska, will I get 1.25x EQMs and RDMs considering that this is an AF/KLM flight sold by Delta?
You will almost definitely get your miles, but you'll also almost definitely have to send in scans of your boarding passes or bag tags.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jediwho
Also, if I go for status match to MVP 75K, how many RDMs will I get on this 13,000 mile travel?
since it is likely a Z fare, 13,000 miles would give an MVPG 75K 250% RDMs, i believe (125% for the COS bonus, and 125% for the 75K bonus). so you should earn about 32K RDMs. others who are more experienced can check my math.

and yes, you're likely (but not guaranteed) to get miles -- but you will certainly have to email your BP, so get paper copies. however this type of ticket is not supposed to earn miles on AS. to earn your ticket should be issued by the flight operator (eg, DL metal/DL ticket) and your flight numbers should be in the ranges specified on the AS website.

please note carefully that the VS/AS merger is still in a very early stage and subject to changes or cancelation by the government. i don't think that is likely, but its possible. if you want the sure thing, I'd go with DL for your status match. note that DL doesn't match to DM, only to PM, and then you'd have to earn your way to DM. so you are not getting SWUs on DL from a status match, however you probably will get the 2016 PM "choice benefit" which includes RUCs (regional certificates for upgrades on domestic flights) as an option.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:05 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Can you use both a Customer Care cert and and an airfare-drop credit on the same reservation and do so online?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Can you use both a Customer Care cert and and an airfare-drop credit on the same reservation and do so online?
You should be able to, depending on the T&C of the CC cert. Apply the certificate in the little box on the booking window if it is a "discount code". Get the airfare drop credit into your "my wallet"... Then you should be able to use both, the discount code will reduce the new fare and you can use the my wallet credit to partially or fully pay the balance.

Or if the discount code allows, you can put both into your "my wallet" and apply the collective "my wallet" funds at checkout.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Yes, as PV_Premier says above. I booked a flight yesterday using a Customer Care discount code. I also had some walllet funds from a previous low fare guarantee which I used when paying. You can't use 2 discount codes on one booking but using a discount code and funds from your wallet is fine.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:31 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thanks to youboth!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.