Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
For the most current information on Guest Upgrades, go to the "Complimentary Upgrades" web page. Under "Guest Upgrades" expand "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?" and "Guest upgrade rules" for more details.
Print Wikipost

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Once that U is gone, it usually stays gone until right around departure in my experience.
As in, U opens up around departure (So my GGU might clear before/at the gate) or stays gone through departure (no no GGU clearing)?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by LukeRB
As in, U opens up around departure (So my GGU might clear before/at the gate) or stays gone through departure (no no GGU clearing)?
I wouldn't count on being able to use a GGU. At that point, if any U opens, it will be snagged almost instantaneously by folks' upgrades clearing from the waitlist. You're not able to use GGUs to waitlist, so you'd need a route where there's very few elites and lots of open seats left. If you see the option to buy an upgrade at check-in (unlikely, but possible), I'd jump on the phone and ask to use a GGU asap.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
GGU cannot be waitlisted so you have to push it when U is open. If the upgrade process works correctly, elite upgrades will be instantly pushed into open U space close to departure.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Agree.. I've seen some U availability MONTHS out on Airbus routes, and generally on non-peak travel days. Once that U is gone, it usually stays gone until right around departure in my experience.
This is helpful info, be_rettSEA. When you've seen U space on exVX metal months in advance, were any of those transcon flights? Personally, I've never seen GGU eligible flights on ex VX metal. It's my white whale.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jjmadison
This is helpful info, be_rettSEA. When you've seen U space on exVX metal months in advance, were any of those transcon flights? Personally, I've never seen GGU eligible flights on ex VX metal. It's my white whale.

Yep, flew LAX-DCA on 8/15 and DCA - LAX 8/20 in pmVX F, booked/applied GGUs in early Feb. It might just be this route - prices and flight loads are significantly less than SEA/DCA flights (despite only 1x daily), but living in LA and my job in DC, I'm certainly not complaining.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Experts may be well aware of this but I don't see it mentioned on this thread yet. I have been struggling to work around an online glitch/bug with respect to applying GGUs on one segment of the itinerary.

During booking:
If you search for and click on a GGU column fare you will be told you can apply the GGU at the completion of your booking. You will also get the FC and Premium comp upgrade checkboxes. Unfortunately it is one selection for all flights on the itinerary (outbound and return).
Once you book, you get a screen to apply the GGU. Eligible and available segments will have an open checkbox. However, when I apply the GGU I get a technical error message and told to call in.

After booking:
If I wait until it tickets and go back to the reservation and click on the GGU link, it says "this reservation is not eligible" even though fare classes are allowed and there is U availability on my return flight.

If I call in:
Some agents tell me "you can only apply GGUs online..." but clearly they can do it manually. However it is a pain for them because they have a hard time looking up your GGU codes, be prepared to provide it to them.

After discussing this with a few agents (who checked with their supervisors), the problem is this:
If you are on the complimentary FC upgrade list, the GGU upgrade will not process. It is not smart enough to take you off the comp list before applying the GGU. How convenient! :P
If it sees you on the FC upgrade list on all segments, it will say the reservation is not eligible for GGU.
So you have to call in to get taken OFF the comp FC waitlist. Then you can apply your GGU online. BEWARE: when the call center agent takes you off the upgrade list, you may get taken off all segments of the itinerary. Keep them on the line and have them re-check or put you on FC upgrade lists after you apply your GGU. Then verify online (it can take 30 seconds to show up online).
The bad thing is if U space opens up weeks after you make the booking, for the other segments you lose your place in line for your level

Has anyone found an easier way to do this? Agents are also annoyed with this and encourage us to send in Alaska Listens responses complaining about this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
To avoid, I'd opt out of upgrades during ticketing.

Then you can choose which segments you want after ticketing.

And then, select which segments you want waitlisted. The complimentary upgrade waitlist may not immediately appear, but it should within an hour or so.
PV_Premier likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Ok, on my next reservation I did this:
Purchased GGU qualifying fares for both outbound and return
Opted out of ALL upgrades
After purchasing it still prompted me to apply GGU (because I had selected from the FC column with GGU filter selected).
I stopped short of applying GGU and waited for email confirming ticketing
I went back and applied GGU with no problems on return flight only.
I tried to apply complimentary request on first flight (no option to opt out of premium ).
"Technical error" was returned. So I had to call in the FC comp list request, premium opt out (since I already had an exit row seat I wanted to keep.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: MVPG
combining certificates

Need help on figuring out how to combine upgrade certificates and companion certificates for two of us. Can it be done? I'm gold so that's another avenue. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Jack
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by jfolliard
Need help on figuring out how to combine upgrade certificates and companion certificates for two of us. Can it be done? I'm gold so that's another avenue. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Jack
Companion fares are booked using the Discount Code saved in your account. From there, you'll filter upgrade type by "Gold Guest" to see fares/availability to use GGUs. You'll only be able to use them if there is U space available for both passengers (the F symbol will be filled in dark blue if available for that flight). Once you go through with purchasing, you'll have the option to apply GGU codes (pulled from your account if there or added manually by code number if you got from someone else). You'll need one GGU for each passenger for each direction of travel, so long as you have layovers < 4 hrs. If a layover is more than 4 hours, you'll need a GGU for each passenger for each segment.

Reports lately indicate U space is difficult to find (though seems like it's opening up a bit for future flights?) so you may have issue finding flights with it available. If you purchase the GGU fare, and 2+ U space opens at a future date, you can apply the GGU codes to upgrade at that time, but they cannot be used to waitlist. Both passengers must fly in the same cabin on a companion fare, so you'll need 2 U to upgrade. Good luck!
missamo80 and mixmastermark like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: MVPG
wow! thanks so much for your quick reply!

Jack
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I tried to apply complimentary request on first flight (no option to opt out of premium ).
"Technical error" was returned. So I had to call in the FC comp list request, premium opt out (since I already had an exit row seat I wanted to keep.
I don't remember if the case above was one of these flights. But I see the little footnote on this Skywest flight saying no first class... but it is an E175! Certainly DOES have first class. I am not sure if this is what is preventing me from applying a comp upgrade since the error is not descriptive and agents didn't have a problem applying it. I sent this in as a potential bug.

Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm a little confused. I purchased Gold Guest upgradeable fare, no U space available. Can I waitlist for complimentary upgrade while I wait for U space to come available via Expertflyer Alert? Then if U comes available sometime between now and comp upgrade window I then apply certs? I'm Gold75K.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by spgaston
I'm a little confused. I purchased Gold Guest upgradeable fare, no U space available. Can I waitlist for complimentary upgrade while I wait for U space to come available via Expertflyer Alert? Then if U comes available sometime between now and comp upgrade window I then apply certs? I'm Gold75K.
Yes, but it's going to involve you calling into the Gold line to do that, since you won't be able to apply certs. The CS reps will take you off the waitlist, then apply your GGUs.

IMO there is a very low chance that U will open before your upgrade window at 120 hours given current practice (where on many routes it opens merely a handful of hours before), but I suppose there's no harm in it. At present time buying GGU-upgradeable fares instead of lowest fare is a waste of money on a lot of routes, since there's hardly any advance U space, and it doesn't open up before upgrade windows anyway...

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

What to do with all those GGU's?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes, but it's going to involve you calling into the Gold line to do that, since you won't be able to apply certs. The CS reps will take you off the waitlist, then apply your GGUs.

IMO there is a very low chance that U will open before your upgrade window at 120 hours given current practice (where on many routes it opens merely a handful of hours before), but I suppose there's no harm in it. At present time buying GGU-upgradeable fares instead of lowest fare is a waste of money on a lot of routes, since there's hardly any advance U space, and it doesn't open up before upgrade windows anyway...

What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?

What to do with all those GGU's?
So there are two of us traveling together SJC-JFK, EWR-SJC Thurs-Sun in March....just booked Gold Guest upgradeable fares (using companion cert too). Would it be best to cancel and rebook cheapest fare and then just upfare if/when U comes available? Currently scheduled on legacy AS 739s. Will I get my companion cert back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.