Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
For the most current information on Guest Upgrades, go to the "Complimentary Upgrades" web page. Under "Guest Upgrades" expand "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?" and "Guest upgrade rules" for more details.
Print Wikipost

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jerryhze
If only 1 U-space is open and I book a two-person trip, can I upgrade just one of the two using the cert?
You'll need to split the PNR. Note, this is not an option if using a companion certificate. A call to AS would be necessary to do this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
You'll need to split the PNR. Note, this is not an option if using a companion certificate. A call to AS would be necessary to do this.
Thank you! Sadly I was thinking about using companion cert...
Old May 4, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone have advice on best routes in which to use GGU? I have previously been able to find availability to use them to Hawaii, but I see almost no availability there. Let alone some of the other destinations I've looked at. Thank you!
Old May 4, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ffman999
Does anyone have advice on best routes in which to use GGU? I have previously been able to find availability to use them to Hawaii, but I see almost no availability there. Let alone some of the other destinations I've looked at. Thank you!
any route where you want to sit in F and can clear it at booking. Most of us try to use them on longer flights or those where upgrades are hard to get complimentary.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Are there any longer routes than tend to have availability to use them though? Most of the ones I look at, even in Marh of next year have no space available.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there any longer routes than tend to have availability to use them though? Most of the ones I look at, even in Marh of next year have no space available.
booking far in advance isnt always the best strategy to find space

The transcons out of BWI are one example of routes that typically have abundant U space at times.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Where are you located? Don't forget to look at international destinations. San Jose or Liberia in Costa Rica are both great choices. I have been three times in the last year and a half. I use my GGU's in conjunction with my companion certificates for a mini vacation and mileage run. LAX-HNL is closer than LAX-SJO.

Don't forget that if you have a connection of less than 4 hours your GGU's will apply to all the segments with less than 4 hours between them providing U space is available on each segment. I have done ANC-LAX-SJO (5067 miles) on one GGU and SJO-LAX-SEA-PVR (5754miles) miles on one GGU.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Use ExpertFlyer & set alerts to show when your fav. routes have open U space.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:24 pm

As per AS website - Each guest upgrade code is valid for one-way travel for one person.

What happens when you've 2 or more legs between Origin & Destination - will I need 1 GGU for one-way OR multiple GGUs for connecting flights?
Old May 7, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by johndoes
As per AS website - Each guest upgrade code is valid for one-way travel for one person.

What happens when you've 2 or more legs between Origin & Destination - will I need 1 GGU for one-way OR multiple GGUs for connecting flights?
A single GGU is sufficient provided the stopover between segments is no more than 4 hours. Note that if U isn't open for all segments, you can still apply it but you won't be waitlisted for the non-clearing segments and will need to call in to be moved if U opens later.
johndoes likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

A single GGU is sufficient provided the stopover between segments is no more than 4 hours. Note that if U isn't open for all segments, you can still apply it but you won't be waitlisted for the non-clearing segments and will need to call in to be moved if U opens later.
Thanks - very detailed answer~
Old May 7, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johndoes
Thanks - very detailed answer~
My personal best; SJO-LAX-SEA-PVR with just one each, close runner up, ANC-LAX-SJO with just one each. Even better, companion certificate used.

😁
tobikosan likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
Chances of Gold Guest Upgrade clearing on VX metal with 7/8 F seats open and 5 U open

Looking at booking a flight in F on VX metal, and the flight in 11 days has 7/8 F seats open on the seat map and the "First Class Upgrade" column showing "5 seats left", but the first class upgrade available "F" is showing unavailable. Hoping to use one of my GGUs to upgrade to F on the flight, but unsure if the GGU will clear before departure.

Considering the number of days to departure and number of open F seats, what are the chances of my GGU clearing before departure, and when would it likely happen? More broadly, how often do F seats on VX open up for GGU availability?

Thanks for your help,
Luke
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LukeRB
Looking at booking a flight in F on VX metal, and the flight in 11 days has 7/8 F seats open on the seat map and the "First Class Upgrade" column showing "5 seats left", but the first class upgrade available "F" is showing unavailable. Hoping to use one of my GGUs to upgrade to F on the flight, but unsure if the GGU will clear before departure.

Considering the number of days to departure and number of open F seats, what are the chances of my GGU clearing before departure, and when would it likely happen? More broadly, how often do F seats on VX open up for GGU availability?

Thanks for your help,
Luke
AS is very stingy about U space on pmVX routes IME. Dont expect U to open in time for a GGU.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
AS is very stingy about U space on pmVX routes IME. Dont expect U to open in time for a GGU.
Agree.. I've seen some U availability MONTHS out on Airbus routes, and generally on non-peak travel days. Once that U is gone, it usually stays gone until right around departure in my experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.