Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
For the most current information on Guest Upgrades, go to the "Complimentary Upgrades" web page. Under "Guest Upgrades" expand "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?" and "Guest upgrade rules" for more details.
Print Wikipost

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Old May 7, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
4 new GGU issued within a few days of when you cross over MVPG. They'll have a 12/18 exp date. No 12/17 GGU will be issued.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
4 new GGU issued within a few days of when you cross over MVPG. They'll have a 12/18 exp date. No 12/17 GGU will be issued.
Thanks for clarifying this. The expiry dates are indeed important to note.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
thank you!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Do you have any GGU tips and tricks?

I have a few GGU's I would like to use and/or book prior to year end. I have been having a lot of difficulty using them for transcontinental trips. I have a trip to Greensboro NC at the end of September and while I am willing to pay double AA Y price for RDU an hour away, there is no space. I wanted to do FLL min March or April and yet no space. Hawaii when I idlely search is not available either.
Is there a special way or routes to use GGU?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
(1) book early and grab the first U that is open
(2) book about 3-8 weeks advance and grab the U that opens up a little later
(3) book 48-120 hours in advance and grab U that isn't awarded to upgrades*

*of course, as a 75K MVPG, you'd be upgraded when you book without using a GGU in this scenario

FLL is almost impossible...though I did successfully clear a GGU on the redeye last year on December 23, I booked it about 4 months in advance or so

RDU, I cleared a refundable award ticket RDU-SEA for myself at booking 4 months out, then cleared a a GGU for my GF on the same flight about 4 weeks in advance of flight

Hawaii, I just cleared two GGUs and two instant ups on SMF-OGG-SMF booking earlier this week for travel in mid-2018

For Hawaii, SAN/SJC/OAK/SMF flights are easier than PDX/SEA/ANC, but the timing isn't good for connections to BOI so you'd likely end up with an overnight.

The certificates are definitely usable, but you have to be more flexible about it than was true in the past.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I always book one ways, it seems easier to search that way.

My TH books up to six months out from SEA-WAS and she looks for lesser airports (IAD has more seats that BWI), sometimes DCA surprises you and you can find GGU space for less that 250 o/w.

FLL is nearly impossible to find GGU. We did once on the outbound, but the return is where you really need it.

Hawaii - I won't book unless we're guaranteed GGU space or buy discounted F.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I concur that 3-8 weeks out works. I see there is instant upgrade availability for SEA-RDU in the second week of August. EF showing 6 U for August 8th.

I always use my GGU's in conjunction with my Companion certificates (I get four per year) to maximize value while minimizing out of pocket. I like to combine a mini vacation and mileage run as I enjoy flying and make it part of the vacation. I have never had issues finding upgrade availability for myself and my companion so my upgrades are locked in at time of booking.

After I reached MVPG in May (all AS metal) I used my four GGU's and a companion certificate to book a 10 segment, four country (Canada, USA, Costa Rica & Mexico) 15.5K mile itinerary in October. The itinerary is as follows.

YLW-SEA-ANC-LAX-SJO-LAX-SEA-PVR-LAX-SEA-YLW. 15,587 EQM.

What I really like is the GGU's are good for connecting flights <4 hours. I was able to use one certificate for ANC-LAX-SJO and one certificate for the nearly 6K segment from SJO-LAX-SEA-PVR. I used 2 for me and two for my partner. The fare was a little over $1200.00 for me and $99.00 for the companion plus taxes. Not a bad deal. 😃

Happy flying everyone!

James
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
If you get an account with ExpertFlyer you can set an alert up for U space on your flight. When you get the alert you are good to put on the GGU! ...IF U EVER opens up! BIG IF. I have even pulled this off 24 hrs before the flight.
Closest you can get to waitlisting a GGU.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Originally Posted by dmodemd
If you get an account with ExpertFlyer you can set an alert up for U space on your flight. When you get the alert you are good to put on the GGU! ...IF U EVER opens up! BIG IF. I have even pulled this off 24 hrs before the flight.
Closest you can get to waitlisting a GGU.
I bit the bullet and bought the premium account. Figure I will try it for a few months and see how well it works. Almost all my miles are on QX so the upgrade pickings are rather slim.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
Another GGU question.....uhhhh!!!

Hello FT'ers! I apologize if this has been answered in previous posts, but I can not find a clear and cut answer. Three questions (at least).

1. Most flights I search (SEA-OGG/LIH-SEA) the GGU price is a slight premium maybe $50 more. Would I lose that money if U space never becomes available? What happens if I apply a GGU to a two segment flight but only one segment has U space?

2. Why do they allow you to purchase GGU, 75k, Gold upgrades even if U space is not available at time of booking?

3. I am expecting to get my GGU certificates later this month. Am I able to book my flights now and later upgrade once I get my certificates by calling in? If so would I book the ticket using "no preference" in the drop down for "Upgrade Type" or "MVP Gold Guest"?

4. Are there more U spaces that become available as we get closer to departure date? I'm looking at mid July right now.

Sorry if this is confusing. Please and thank you!!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bosca418
Hello FT'ers! I apologize if this has been answered in previous posts, but I can not find a clear and cut answer. Three questions (at least).

1. Most flights I search (SEA-OGG/LIH-SEA) the GGU price is a slight premium maybe $50 more. Would I lose that money if U space never becomes available? What happens if I apply a GGU to a two segment flight but only one segment has U space?

2. Why do they allow you to purchase GGU, 75k, Gold upgrades even if U space is not available at time of booking?

3. I am expecting to get my GGU certificates later this month. Am I able to book my flights now and later upgrade once I get my certificates by calling in? If so would I book the ticket using "no preference" in the drop down for "Upgrade Type" or "MVP Gold Guest"?

4. Are there more U spaces that become available as we get closer to departure date? I'm looking at mid July right now.

Sorry if this is confusing. Please and thank you!!
1. Yes, if U never opens you eat the premium. If only one segment is open, you can apply the GGU and clear on that segment. I'm not certain but I believe you have to call in if U opens up on the second segment to extend it to that one. I don't believe there is a waitlist for unapplied segments. There isn't a waitlist if no segments have U.

2. You're purchasing an eligible fare class. Upfaring later may incur a change fee.

3. Yes, you can do this. You don't need to call in to apply it, just go to your reservation online and if it's in an eligible fare class & U is available, you can apply the GGU yourself. It's up to you whether you want to purchase a GGU fare class now or call in later and upfare it. If you have a MVP or lower companion with you, a change fee will apply if you upfare more than 24 hours after booking and your flight is within 60 days.

4. Not sure. I know there are others here than will only book U space available. Routes seem to play somewhat into whether U opens up later.

Last edited by rustykettel; Sep 17, 2017 at 11:13 pm
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:40 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Any issues using a GGU for a flight with a lap infant on the reservation?
hyedmd likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:26 pm

I have a ticket issued by BA, with an AS flight as part of the reservation. Apparently I cannot use a GGU because the ticket wasn't issued by AS. Do I have other options? Can I try for the complimentary upgrade? How about standby at the gate? (Is that the same thing?) The AS flight is the last flight on my reservation. Is there any chance that after I fly all the other flights AS will reissue the ticket so that the flight is on their ticket stock?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by UserMark
I have a ticket issued by BA, with an AS flight as part of the reservation. Apparently I cannot use a GGU because the ticket wasn't issued by AS. Do I have other options? Can I try for the complimentary upgrade? How about standby at the gate? (Is that the same thing?) The AS flight is the last flight on my reservation. Is there any chance that after I fly all the other flights AS will reissue the ticket so that the flight is on their ticket stock?
I've had plenty of comp upgrades on JL tickets. I imagine BA would be the same.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Any issues using a GGU for a flight with a lap infant on the reservation?
We gave our DIL a GGU and she had no problems in first with a baby.
Idaho Territory and hyedmd like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.