Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
For the most current information on Guest Upgrades, go to the "Complimentary Upgrades" web page. Under "Guest Upgrades" expand "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?" and "Guest upgrade rules" for more details.
Print Wikipost

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can SDC to any flight with economy availability.

SDC (or any change) forfeits the upgrade -- you still have an economy ticket. This is because you are in U (the same thing will happen if you have status and get a comp upgrade in your upgrade window and then make a change -- you are in U, not F or P)

Since you no longer have status, you will not be on the upgrade list. If you had status, you would be on the upgrade list, just like if you bought a ticket at that time.

You lose the GGU as well, and you can't get it reinstated (if you were still MVPG or higher, customer care would reinstate it)

So.... changing seems to be a pretty bad deal for those who no longer have status.
be_rettSEA and williwaw like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You can SDC to any flight with economy availability.

SDC (or any change) forfeits the upgrade -- you still have an economy ticket. This is because you are in U (the same thing will happen if you have status and get a comp upgrade in your upgrade window and then make a change -- you are in U, not F or P)

Since you no longer have status, you will not be on the upgrade list. If you had status, you would be on the upgrade list, just like if you bought a ticket at that time.

You lose the GGU as well, and you can't get it reinstated (if you were still MVPG or higher, customer care would reinstate it)

So.... changing seems to be a pretty bad deal for those who no longer have status.
Thanks for the clear breakdown! Less flexible than DL in this situation, but then again, GGU certificates are also a lot less precious, so it probably comes out in the wash.

Looks like Im getting up at 0dark thirty tomorrow
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I was able to use 4 GGUs on a May-June trip to IAH. Two for a SEA-IAH leg and the other two for a IAH-JNU return. Save about $500 over MVPGold fare.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
unicorn sighting (actually unicorn captured)

AS1 DCA-SEA, less than 60 days out, $349 fare ... AS3 still shows available for $279
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jrl767
AS1 DCA-SEA, less than 60 days out, $349 fare ... AS3 still shows available for $279
Runs to see if this works with her current commute schedule. UNICORNS UNITE.
williwaw likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
It worked for me this month on the PDX-DCA! Go get them unicorns!
Old May 14, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Angry unicorn kidnapped

Mrs767 (MVP) was called to the podium ~T-55; GA said Sorry, but well give you 3000 miles to make up for it and handed her a BP for 17D

she originally had 2D, so **might** have been a FAM, but was dubious when I mentioned that ... she suspects someone with higher status ... might also have been a must-ride crew member

I suggested she show the original BP to the FA in hopes of not getting charged for food
Old May 15, 2019, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Mrs767 (MVP) was called to the podium ~T-55; GA said Sorry, but well give you 3000 miles to make up for it and handed her a BP for 17D

she originally had 2D, so **might** have been a FAM, but was dubious when I mentioned that ... she suspects someone with higher status ... might also have been a must-ride crew member

I suggested she show the original BP to the FA in hopes of not getting charged for food
Ouch!

Only 3K miles? Not enough...
NoLaGent likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Ouch!

If I applied a GGU and then lost my upgrade, I'd at the least be asking for a voucher for the difference between K and cheapest econ when I booked.

Whether I'd get it or not is a different question.. but I think it's at least a reasonable request.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Ouch!

Agreed. That's a bag delivered at 21 minutes+500 miles.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
If I applied a GGU and then lost my upgrade, I'd at the least be asking for a voucher for the difference between K and cheapest econ when I booked.
I lost an upgrade with an equipment downgrade. AS replaced it! Remember, the cheapest econ when you book may be K or a higher fare bucket, asking for a voucher in that case wouldn't yield too much. I would definitely be asking for a GGU replacement.

James
Old May 15, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ouch!

Whether I'd get it or not is a different question.. but I think it's at least a reasonable request.
sadly, K was the lowest available on AS 1 ... I think I mentioned earlier that AS 3 (evening flight) was ~$70 less

I forwarded the original confirmation email to AS CS, asking for a reissue of the GGU as well as another 12k miles (rationale being that 15k is what an MVP or non-status passenger w/o access to a GGU would have to spend for an upgrade, of course presuming availability of U space)

we shall see ...
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: Alaska
GGU Confusion

I see there are legs available with First Class upgrades available when I search with "MVP Gold guest", but the First Class fare is still more expensive than Coach. Is there price variability in applying a GGU? Or am I meant to book Coach and apply a GGU after the fact?

On a related note, why are there First Class upgrade rates for flights that don't have upgrade space available? Why even show the alert/why would someone still move forward with this purchase?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:11 am

Only certain fare classes are eligible for GGU.

As to why they show non-existent upgrade availability, no idea. You have to make sure it is a solid U versus a grayed out/white U. Which isn't very obvious unless you hover over it.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by planes
I see there are legs available with First Class upgrades available when I search with "MVP Gold guest", but the First Class fare is still more expensive than Coach. Is there price variability in applying a GGU? Or am I meant to book Coach and apply a GGU after the fact?

On a related note, why are there First Class upgrade rates for flights that don't have upgrade space available? Why even show the alert/why would someone still move forward with this purchase?
The GGU can only be applied to a K class fare or higher. The price you see is the lowest main fare class that has space in the bucket. Usually that is K class but could be higher. If the "F" is white with a solid blue backgroung, there is U space available and you can apply the GGU for an immediate upgrade. The process is to purchase the eligible Main fare and then you will be given the opportunity to apply the GGU after purchase and be upgraded into F after application.

If there are two or more segments in the itinerary and the connection time between them is 4 hours or less, a single GGU will upgrade all the segments that have U availability.

Personally, I would never purchase an eligible fare if I cannot immediately apply the GGU after purchase. The only advantage is that you would be higher on the waitlist for a complimentary upgrade without using a GGU if eligible. A GGU cannot be waitlisted so you would have to monitor for U space to open up which may never happen. Monitoring for U space is a manual process unless you use a subscription service like ExpertFlyer where you can set an alert to be notified via email if U space opens. If U does open you would have to call AS to apply the GGU.

The better approach is to purchase the cheapest fare, continue to monitor for U space, either manually or through the subscription service. Should U space open, you can call AS and "upfare" your itinerary to the eligible fare and apply the GGU. An upfare does not trigger a change fee.

The only disadvantage is that the lowest fare class eligible for GGU application may be higher than when you purchased the original fare. You can decide if the differential is still of value. It is better than purchasing an eligible fare and not ever being able to apply the GGU and still missing out on a complimentary upgrade, if eligible.

In reference to "if eligible," only Elites are eligible for complimentary upgrades. If the GGU was gifted and you don't have Elite status then you won't be eligible.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.